BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any transit fleets still not 100% wheelchair accessible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Any transit fleets still not 100% wheelchair accessible? Reply with quote

I was wondering, how many transit fleets are there that are still not 100% wheelchair accessible? By "transit fleets" I mean excluding OTR coaches.

ABQ RIDE still has a few non-accessible TMC RTS buses, however, they are dwindling in numbers as more New Flyer DE40LFR buses enter service. I wonder if ABQ RIDE will have a special event for the last run for the TMC RTS buses.

I have been hearing rumors actually that several drivers are willing to buy the old RTS buses and convert them into RVs. Some have already had their ABQ RIDE titles removed I heard.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At U-M we still have 3 or 4 non lift equipped Flxibles that we use from time to time. They may be around for some time as our ridership continues to grow. In all probability it looks like we will be over 6M by the end of the fiscal year!
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cabq.gov/transit/100ADACompliant.html

Well, it looks like by March 15, all of ABQ RIDE's new buses will be in service. This marks the end of service for the TMC RTS buses. The ABQ RIDE fleet will now be 100% wheelchair accessible.

What I don't understand, however, is why didn't ABQ RIDE manage to add wheelchair lifts to the RTSes? They were delivered in 1989, a year before the ADA was passed into law. Many other transit authorities did.

ABQ RIDE didn't have any wheelchair accessible buses until 1996 when the Neoplans entered service. However, since the RTSes are about 19 years old now, adding lifts to them is no longer worth the investment, and that money is better spent on purchasing new buses. The majority of transit authorities in the U.S. became 100% wheelchair accessible in the mid-to-late 1990s or early 2000s.

However, I have heard that on a few occasions the lifts on the Neoplans don't work. On the New Flyers, since they are low floors, the ramp can be engaged manually if the automatic flip-out mechanism doesn't work. The Neoplans are now approaching their 12 year mark, but are still running strong.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto still operates non-accessible New Looks, Classics, New Flyer D40HF's and Orion V's. The first three groups are being retired, but the V's will be around until at least 2010.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Toronto still operates non-accessible New Looks, Classics, New Flyer D40HF's and Orion V's. The first three groups are being retired, but the V's will be around until at least 2010.

Well, the ADA is an American legislation. While I am pretty sure there are now similar laws in Canada, they might have not been passed at the same time as in the U.S. The ADA was passed in 1990. TTC's Orion V's were delivered in 1991, one year after the ADA was passed in the U.S. ABQ RIDE's TMC RTSes. on the other hand, were delivered one year BEFORE the ADA was passed.

Compared to most U.S. transit authorities, ABQ RIDE (then known as SunTran) was seriously lagging behind the times. The first wheelchair accessible buses didn't come until 1996. Most TAs at that time were already moving towards 100% wheelchair accessbility. I believe that ABQ RIDE still operated some non-accessible GMC RTS buses during those years, which I believe were retired when the Thomas SLF200s were delivered in 2001.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:

The 6600-6700 O5s will have to be replaced soon. The 7000-7100 O5s, however, will be good to go for a while longer, as they are accessible.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the MBTA is technically not 100% accessible...if any of the Flyer E800s need to be used for service. Also, New Jersey Transit is not 100% accessible with its non-accessible Metro-B suburban coaches.
ProBus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 is right on, we got all kinds of high floor Vehicles and they are not going anywhere soon. Major problems with accessible Vehicles not to mention way less room on board, Battey pre mature waring out.Engine buring way more fuel than they were suppose to ,body panel damage very easy or just fall off, damm things just stop dead in road and always have to be towed. Rear doors are so damm slow, and stick out farther will not close from the seat when they say, hit a little snow Yea we will have old Vehicles for some time yet RailBus63.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProBus wrote:
RailBus63 is right on, we got all kinds of high floor Vehicles and they are not going anywhere soon. Major problems with accessible Vehicles not to mention way less room on board, Battey pre mature waring out.Engine buring way more fuel than they were suppose to ,body panel damage very easy or just fall off, damm things just stop dead in road and always have to be towed. Rear doors are so damm slow, and stick out farther will not close from the seat when they say, hit a little snow Yea we will have old Vehicles for some time yet RailBus63.

Are you talking about the Orion VII HEVs there?
kevlaf983

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OC Transpo is still operating D40, Orion V & Classics and all without lifts.
ProBus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE60LF the Orion V11 hy- brid electric with batterys on roof. Pods hold 43 up there eh. They have the Euro look bodys. The regular Orion V11 diesel Bus work ok. Very traditional bus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: