BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restyled NABI buses coming soon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Restyled NABI buses coming soon? Reply with quote

I have been wondering, does anyone think it is about time that NABI introduced a restyled bus by now? I know they offer their BRT series buses, however, they primarily compete against the New Flyer DE40LFA/DE60LFA. I think it is about time that they should come out with a new style for their standard buses, competing against the New Flyer LFR series, the Orion VII NG, and Gillig BRT. I know that New Flyer and Gillig still offer the x30/35/40/60LF and Advantage in their "classic" styling, however, those buses now make up an extreme minority of new sales, with most of New Flyer's and Gillig's sales now being LFRs and Advantage BRTs, respectively.

I also know that the NABI 60-LFW has its own unique front end, however, that style has not been used on 40-foot and shorter buses.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NABI has released the "40-LFW Special Edition" for Las Vegas, which looks a bit like New Flyer's LFR series. However, I don't know whether or not they intend to make this model available to the general market, or if they'll restrict it to Vegas.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the look of the current NABI low-floor bus - it's an angular design but still looks less boxy than the New Flyer, Gillig and Orion models.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
I actually like the look of the current NABI low-floor bus - it's an angular design but still looks less boxy than the New Flyer, Gillig and Orion models.

Either way, I think that NABI should come out with a more unique design. Personally, I think that their current design looks a bit too similar to Neoplan. A more curved front end as well as frameless windows would allow for a more unique design.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE60LF wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:

Either way, I think that NABI should come out with a more unique design. Personally, I think that their current design looks a bit too similar to Neoplan. A more curved front end as well as frameless windows would allow for a more unique design.

The front end on the current low-floor design was strongly influenced by their high-floor model, which itself is based on the Ikarus bus they've sold in Europe:

Ikarus model 415 bus in Hungary:

American Ikarus/NABI model 416 bus in Philadelphia:

NABI model 40LFW bus in Boston:

AZNABIman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is a restyled NABI called the NABI 40-LFW "Special Edition" and Vegas is getting some. Here is a link to a page with photos.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=86337
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

The redesigned front end first revealed on the Las Vegas/CAT buses will also be used on the huge NJ Transit order

DE60LF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:
The redesigned front end first revealed on the Las Vegas/CAT buses will also be used on the huge NJ Transit order

Hmm, so a new look for the NABI 416? That was totally unexpected. Demand for high floor buses declining, and I don't think it was really worth it for NABI to redesign the front end for NJT's NABI 416 buses. The Gillig Phantom and Orion V are still selling. How come Gillig doesn't make a BRT version of the Phantom? What about an Orion V NG?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:

Gawd, that is one homely face.
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

DE60LF wrote:
Hmm, so a new look for the NABI 416? That was totally unexpected. Demand for high floor buses declining, and I don't think it was really worth it for NABI to redesign the front end for NJT's NABI 416 buses. The Gillig Phantom and Orion V are still selling. How come Gillig doesn't make a BRT version of the Phantom? What about an Orion V NG?
But, using the same front end on both the standard and low floor buses saves NABI a LOT of money. Now they don't have to worry about what is generally the most collision-prone portion of the bus using parts that their other models don't. One front end for the BRTs, one for the non-BRTs regardless of the floor height. Financial efficiency on NABI's part.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:
DE60LF wrote:
But, using the same front end on both the standard and low floor buses saves NABI a LOT of money. Now they don't have to worry about what is generally the most collision-prone portion of the bus using parts that their other models don't. One front end for the BRTs, one for the non-BRTs regardless of the floor height. Financial efficiency on NABI's part.

So then, why doesn't Orion use the Orion VII NG's front end on new build Orion V's? The Orion V continues to sell today. As for Gillig using the BRT's front end on the Phantom, that may be quite difficult as the Phantom features an arched, school bus-like roof.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that the Orion V is to be discontinued soon. However, I don't know anything about the credibility of the sources, so take this with all the salt you can get.
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

DE60LF wrote:
So then, why doesn't Orion use the Orion VII NG's front end on new build Orion V's? The Orion V continues to sell today. As for Gillig using the BRT's front end on the Phantom, that may be quite difficult as the Phantom features an arched, school bus-like roof.
Orion has the deep pockets of Daimler behind them, so there's not much worry of cash flow. And if they have a market for the V, they may very well do that. NABI has to back the NJT buses with factory parts until 2028... 15 years after the last unit is delivered, so they likely felt it was in their best interest to use the new front end.

.NABI is owned by Cerberus, the same private equity firm that bought Chrysler last year. Under Cerberus, Chrysler is launching a plan to consolidate the dealers and eliminate duplicate models to improve financial efficiency and give dealers a better chance to make money. MCI is also owned by a private equity firm (JLL), and they have already killed off the F and G models as unprofitable. Equity firms expect their properties to operate as lean as possible; NABI is no different.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the liberty of placing the new Las Vegas NABI below. I hope SubChat doesn't mind - I am a member and it is for educational purposes!

I think it's pretty nifty - especially the passenger windows - very handsome!

Another nice piece of work from NABI!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: NJT NABIs fet the new front end as well Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:
NABI is owned by Cerberus, the same private equity firm that bought Chrysler last year. Under Cerberus, Chrysler is launching a plan to consolidate the dealers and eliminate duplicate models to improve financial efficiency and give dealers a better chance to make money. MCI is also owned by a private equity firm (JLL), and they have already killed off the F and G models as unprofitable. Equity firms expect their properties to operate as lean as possible; NABI is no different.

All good points and I commend NABI for taking a forward-looking approach. I'm just not that impressed at first blush with the end result of this redesign. Maybe I'll feel differently once I see these buses in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: