BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Wheels On The Bus Are Leased And Round"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: "The Wheels On The Bus Are Leased And Round" Reply with quote

When I had visited the Grand Avenue Depot/CMF on April 13th, one of the interesting facts mentioned by the tour guides was that NYCT leases all their bus tires from Goodyear, and that each depot has a tire maintenance area that is managed by Goodyear.
As is customary in the bus industry, used bus prices (even for buses auctioned by NYCT) do not include the tires (the cost for which must be negotiated separately with Goodyear representatives).
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I can tell you that Green Line leased their tires for years, and I do remember a truck that used to come periodically (not sure whether it was Goodyear or Goodrich) to deliver new tires and take back the old.

In those days they did a lot of recapping so I guess the same tires came back many times.

I also remember the 'Exide' truck that handled the battery department.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Mr. L!
It looks as if they didn't call it Green Bus Lines for nothing, did they?
GBL apparently was green in more ways than its corporate identity and the color of their buses.
They were "green" and "recycling" well before such terms became part of the language.
I also give Mr. Cooper and his team credit for being smart businessmen.
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of recapping, according to the Grand Ave. Depot folks, NY State laws stipulate minimum tread depth on the steering axle tires.
When the front tire tread depth drops below the minimum statutory requirements, the maintaners rotate the worn front tires to the drive axle (where the tire tread depth requirements are less stringent than for the steering axle tires).
When the tread on the drivers drops further, the Goodyear guys can regroove them to gain a lease on life (but apparently the regrooved tires cannot be reinstalled on the steering axle, only on the drive or on the tag axles.)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

This brings up a very interesting point that I have been trying to get across for years;

Contrary to what every mechanic has told me about always using your best tires on the drive wheels (talking rear wheel drive - which is the only thing I'll drive!), I have always insisted on the best for steering.

I think a blowout on a steering tire is far more dangerous than the same on a drive wheel!

I know that I'll get plenty of flack on this but my reason is steering control in a blowout situation.

True, you can have swerving on a drive wheel problem but not to the extent of control loss as with the steering tires.

Ideally, all tires should be in good shape!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to clear up a few things on this topic.

Traffic laws do not allow a recapped tire on the front axle. While the tire itself might be a perfect tire, meaning not patches or side wall damage, a peeling cap can spell trouble. A tag axle can not use a recap as well since it does steer as well. Regrooved tires go in the same pile as recaps, rears only. Regrooved simply means cutting a new set of tread into the thick rubber on top of a tire and this one happens once.

GBL leased tires from Firestone for the last 15 years that I can be sure of. All tires were repaired off property and air pressure was not allowed to be touched by GBL employees. GBL used recapped tires in the rear from time to time but recaps were not a regular item.

Tire depths are as follows-- 4/32 of an inch for the front steering axle and 2/32 of an inch for the rear axles. I think the tag axle is 2/32 of an inch but I don't remember.

I can tell you that by the time a front tire has reached 4/32, someone has already changed it. This happens because it was close to minimum specs while making another repair, such as brakes, and the tires are already off.
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for that detailed tire info!
The average bus passenger (or politician, for that matter) probably never even gave any thought to how sophisticated bus tire management programs really are.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of much on a bus or, for that matter, any motor vehicle that needs more management than the tires (with the exception of the front end itself).

You may not believe this but the State of California only seems interested in emissions equipment and their so called 'inspections' are geared only in that direction!

There are no inspections for front ends, tires, headlights, brakes or even windshield wipers! In fact, you can ride the freeways at 75 MPH with your
'A' frames falling out! (However, buses may come under different scrutiny).

I think I know why REB says that the shop was prohibited from repairing tires; I don't know whether they still use them, but years ago the heavy truck and bus wheels came with steel rings that, if not handled correctly, could (and did) cause bodily injury and death!

A special steel cage was developed to make tire changes safely and then only by experts.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines. Inc., Jamaica, NY
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I think I know why REB says that the shop was prohibited from repairing tires; I don't know whether they still use them, but years ago the heavy truck and bus wheels came with steel rings that, if not handled correctly, could (and did) cause bodily injury and death!

A special steel cage was developed to make tire changes safely and then only by experts.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines. Inc., Jamaica, NY

Firestone tires were fully serviced by Firestone. The only thing done by shop personal was put the rims on a bus which had the tire already mounted. The GoodYear Tires are allowed to have air pressure adjusted by shop personal. Repairs are made by GoodYear.

No more 2 piece rims on the buses. Todays rims are just like a car rim, one piece. I know a guy who got blasted in the head because of those 2-piece rims. Even worse it was an old split ring type with the jaggered edge. The sledge hammer he was using to get the tire apart was found half way down the block. He was lucky to live after the accident but has one nasty mark on his forehead!!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL,

See what I mean - I remember worse than that but I won't 'gore' you with it!

Glad to hear that the rings are gone.

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: