BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Line Old Looks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Green Line Old Looks Reply with quote

When did Green Line retire thier last Old Looks? Were they then bieng used as rush-hour trippers, or were still providing at least some base service? Also, were these buses all scrapped, or were some sold to other operators? Thanks in advance, John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take this one!

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629,

If I haven't already done so, let me welcome you to BusTalkIII - it's always good to see more new members coming aboard.

As to what the fate of the Green Line 'Old Looks' was I would direct you to page two under 'New York City Buses' to a piece authored by me entitled 'Where Did the Old Green Line Buses Go?'.

While virtually all your questions will be aswered there, I will give you a brief synopsis as follows;

Before being either scrapped or donated to subsidiaries, most of the earliest Old Looks (TD 4506's and TDH 4507's) wound up either in Rockaway service or school assignments combined with rush hour shuttle runs.

As late as 1961 I drove the 4507's on the Riis Park specials.

The last of the Old Looks (paired window jobs) were gone to other companies by 1967.

Hope this information will be of assitance to you.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: First off, yes, you have already welcomed me to the board, and I truly appreciated the kind welcome! Very Happy Secondly, thanks for providing some great info on Green Lines' Old Looks; I see they were retired many years before the very last in my area of NJ were! Appreciate the time and effort! John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS.

At my age, you can often forget what you had for breakfast this morning but still cleary remember events that occured over a half century ago!

Most of what I have written (and will write) about Green Bus Lines comes not from records and references but from my personal memories, accounts and experiences with the company.

I intend to keep the spirit of that company alive as long as I can and, if by doing so, it benefits others - that becomes icing on the cake!

Thanks.

B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
In a previous conversation with Mr. L, I had mentioned that sometime around 1980 or so when Green Bus Lines had already taken delivery of their first fleet of RTS's, a small group of hand-me-down Old Looks were put into service, sent from Jamaica Buses. These were assigned into the 900 series. Photos of these buses can be viewed on this site on the Galleries section, NYC Private Bus Lines, Green Lines-The Early Years towards the bottom of the page.
I don’t know why at that stage why those Old Looks were sent to Green Lines for service, perhaps to fill a temporary fleet gap but it was interesting to see Old Looks and RTS’s side by side.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH,

I'll tell you that the first time I saw them in a reasonable facsimile of Green Line livery I was 'agog'! (I couldn't believe my eyes!).

It didn't take much to figure out that they were ex Jamaica 5106's (you could still see the Jamaica letttering under the thin green coating).

What was of such a shock to me was the fact that it was always Green giving rolling stock to Jamaica and never the other way around.

To add insult to injury, when Green Line junked them (see photos below), along comes Peninsula Bus Company (a bottom feeding charter operation that worked out of Inwood/Far Rockaway) and took the best of all the parts to make one runner! (also pictured below).

But that's not all! they eventually sold it to Surface Transportation as new! (only kidding).

One thing I have to tell you; when those Jamaica 5106's were new in their very tasteful shades of browns, reds and creams, they were the most beautiful things on six wheels! (see photo below).

Jamaica #607 (factory photo)

After it was all over.

In reincarnation as Peninsula # 609
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY THANKS for posting those magnificent and nostalgic views of my all-time favorite bus, the Old Look!!!! Very Happy What great memories were brought back of those classics in my area of NJ over 40 years ago! I can still HEAR them....and SMELL them.......today!!!! Thanks again for bringing back some great old memories of the way transit coaches USED to be! Very Happy John
hound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Peninsula Bus Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about where Peninsula Bus came out of & what routes they ran, if any? Also, how about Imperial Bus & Branch Bus?I believe they were all from the 5 towns/Far Rockaway area. Any info appreciated.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hound,

Don't quote me on this but I believe Branch Bus Company was a subsidiary of the Bee Line/Rockville Centre/Nassau Bus group and operated from Long Beach RR station to Point Lookout until its takeover by Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MSBA) in 1973 - now Long Island Bus.

I knew of Peninsula Bus Company as a charter service operating from a storefront with a shed attached very near the new Long Island Railroad station in Far Rockaway - I don't believe that they ever had regular franchised transit routes.

I remember that they used to store their 'fleet' in the street on the Inwood side of the city line.

Imperial Bus Company rings no bell with me.

There was a Brooklyn charter outfit called Logan Coach that had an office in Lynbrook years ago.

That's about all I can help you with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: