BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The official hidden buses in movies thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: The official hidden buses in movies thread Reply with quote

This thread is for all the movies that have at least one "semi-hidden" bus in the backgroud. A semi-hidden bus is when there is one quick 2 second scene that has a bus somewhere in the background, worthy of you to break out that DVD you have stored away in your collection, pop it in your player and man that pause button. These films may not be worthy of their own threads in relation to bus appearances, like 48 HRS or Lethal Weapon 1, but are worth mentioning here.

I will start with two well-known films, both with that "semi-hidden" bus.

Batman (1966 movie) Towards the end of the film, where Batman and Robin are chasing to the east side office building to return and rehydrate the "dusted" U.N. Security Council Members, we see them running through Midtown streets. We also see one close up scene of B & R running (clearly an indoor scene) with film in the background. In this quick shot, there is a 1950's GMC Old Look bus in the background of the film.

Live and Let Die One of my favorite 007 films, as Bond takes the taxi ride in Harlem, chasing the Pimpmobile, we see a 1966 GMC TDH New Look bus (the one with batwings) on Lenox Ave. This scene comes right before or after the shot of one of the 125th Street/Lenox IRT downtown entrances on the SW corner.

Any other 1 or 2 second hidden gems, post it here.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasantville - Jennnifer/Mary Sue boards a Greyhound PD3751 for Springfield near the end of the film. Also, a Crown or Gillig "old look" school bus passes by at the beginning.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was watching The Preacher's Wife a while back, and i saw wat looked to me a Houston Metro Flxible Metro rollin by in tha reflection of the Yonkers Police station window glass. What i dont get is that the movie took place in Yonkers, but i didnt see not 1 Beeline bus at all, but i saw the bus stops.
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live Free and Die Hard (2007) great movie but Orion VII hybrid buses don't run on NJ Transit

The scene was supposed to be filmed in Camden, NJ, where Detective McLane is supposed to pick up the boy accused of hacking the nation's computer systems, but I suspect Southern California is the actual location. The bus appears for 2 seconds in the background of a scene in the alleyway.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then of course there are the 'bloopers' one of which stands out vividly in my mind;

The Sting - a 1973 Academy Award winner starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford in which they successfully con a mob boss (Robert Shaw - Jaws) and which takes place in 1935.

In one scene at a lookout room window on the second floor of a building adjacent to the street one will see what appears to be a 1950's Crown school bus in light traffic heading away from the shot.

I suppose that an inexperienced transportation coordinator figured that a 50's Crown looked pretty much like a 30's transit from a distance!

You can bet I didn't work on that picture!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another movie that qualifies for this thread is

Cadillac Man (1990) starring Robin Williams and Tim Robbins. It was filmed on a then closed up used car dealership located at 3721 Northern Blvd. In one scene Robbins comes on to the lot on a motorcycle. Twice in the scene when the camera is on him two Queens Surface buses (one e/b and one w/b) pass by in the background. Don't remember the style of bus or fle
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few scenes of Boston buses on film:

Fuzz (1972) - One of my favorites. The police station in the movie is located in City Square in Charlestown, and several exterior scenes show the old Orange Line elevated (demolished three years later) and various MBTA buses at the street-level loading area.

The Verdict (1982) - during one of Paul Newman's scenes in South Boston, two MBTA Flxible 35-footers can be seen passing a few blocks away. These would have been operating on the 11 Bay View route, which operated only the shorter buses until the 1980's.

Starting Over (1979) - great night scene of an MBTA Flxible 7100-series bus pulling up to a suburban stop and dropping off a passenger.

The Firm (1993) - Tom Cruise rides an MBTA bus at the beginning of the movie - the interior was filmed on a Flyer D901 but the actor is shown exiting an RTS bus.
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about another Paul Newman movie?

Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981) As the angry crowd demostrates outside the 41st Precinct, we see a Flixible on the Bx55 route.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more movies come to mind:

1 - For Pete's Sake (1974) Starring Barbara Streisand. In one scene she is being chased by bill collectors and goes down into the Court Street Station and jumps on an R1/9 to escape. Funny thing the train arrives back at Court Street (now the NY Transit Museum). Prior to her going into the station there are some NYCTA fisbbowls, probably around Joralomen Street.

2 - Dressed to Kill (1980) starring Angie Dickenson, Deborah Allen, Michael Caine, Dennis Franz and Keith Gordon. Besides seeing Deborah Allen in underwear and running through 2 R-17 cars (hopefully one is 6688), there is a scene where Keith Allen stops off at a window of a film developing store, to drop off some film while a NYCTA New Look Flxible passed from left to right behind him.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this flick last Saturday night

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 2007 starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Albert Finney, Ethan Hawke and Marissa Tomei. One scene shot from a building at 47th/6th in NYC shows the top of a northbound Liberty Lines Classic. Another scene shows an NYCTA artic and a Bee Line bus in the background
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 Hours- (1982) Starring Eddie Murphy, Nick Noltie, and Annette O'Toole. A detective and a convict chaces 2 croocks around San Francisco. In one scene there was a AM General Muni bus is seen behind Eddie and Nick while they drive. In another scene the croocks stole a GM New Look Muni bus, and a fight scene took place on board.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest is not so much in just pointing out buses that happen to pass through the frames of a film (there are thousands of them), but it's the buses that don't belong there that really catch my eye - in other words; the 'blooper buses'!

Capote, a 1996 United Artists/Sony Pictures production starring Academy Award winner Philip Hoffman, brings to the screen the true story of Truman Capote's research into the mass murder of a Kansas family and the book that he wrote about it entitled 'In Cold Blood'.

The scene, circa 1955, takes place in front of a school in a local Kansas town where he questions students about the slain victims.

The background cars are right on the money (I couldn't have done it better myself), but the one school bus is built on a 1990's International chassis!

Now, I've been in the business myself and I can tell you that there aren't many period school buses hanging around - but that's no excuse - they should have left that bus out.

Actually, had they looked hard enough they might have found something like what is pictured below!

Photo courtesy of Independent Coach Corporation.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife & I just saw Will Smith's I Am Legend this weekend.
There are lots of old NYCT RTS's (all with porkchop panels) seen throughout this film.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are Marshall - 2006 The story of the plane crash that killed the football team while on the way back from an away game. In one scene the team is getting ready to get on the bus to go to the airport. The bus is a GMC PD - 49xx
mercurygrandmarquis1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newkirk Plaza David wrote:
How about another Paul Newman movie?

Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981) As the angry crowd demostrates outside the 41st Precinct, we see a Flixible on the Bx55 route.

great movie you forgot the part when they commandeer a bus and the rookie cop goes "ive always wanted to be a bus driver"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: