BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The French Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: The French Connection Reply with quote

The French Connection dates back to the 1970's, but it is a gem for transportation fans (as well as lovers of anything NYC related).
I just borrowed a copy from our local public library, and I saw it for the 3rd or 4th time since it first came out.
If you like green TA/MABSTOA buses, you'll see quite a few of them, including 5303's with and without wings, Flx New Looks, and even a GM Old Look in the light & dark greem color scheme of the 1960's. There are some good shots of trackless coaches in Paris. The famous car chase under the BMT West End Line on Stillwell Ave. & 86th St. in Bensonhurst (complete with a clean set of R42's mislabeled with "N" signs) is a classic.
Subway scenes were also shot on the IRT on the shuttle (using a set of R17's in the "Nrodic Blue & SIlver Mist" scheme that was new at that time).
Old truck fans will catch glimpses of Mack H67 and B61 units on the docks, IH Metros (old and new), a White Construcktor, and other long-gone classics.
The shots of NYC from the early 1970's will stir memories for those of us old enough to remember them Shocked
On top of this, fans of Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider will marvel at how young these guys looked back then (didn't we all??)
All told, The French Connection is a great film ready to be revisited (espcially since it now has been digitally remastered on DVD by Fox).
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting this analysis with the identification of all sorts of vehicles.
Joe
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simply a great movie - the transit scenes are simply the icing on the cake. I received the 'special edition' DVD to add to my collection last year.
flxible bus authority

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the el,you could clearly see a 1968-70 GMC TDH-5305A (two large red lights,and one small one on each side) on the engine cover.In the beginning of the movie I saw what is most likely a 1969 Flxible 111CC-D51.I also saw a GMC "old look" as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: