BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Bus Nostalgia'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE 5108’s OF NEW JERSEY PUBLIC SERVICE

Pictured below in several poses including interiors and with many thanks to Double ‘A’ Transportation of Rocky Hill, Connecticut is ex fleet number M 704 – a 1958 GM Model TDM 5108 (ser# 0280) and one of 192 originally delivered to Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey between 1954 and 1959.

While GM had made some inroads into the ‘Suburban’ marketplace as far back as the mid thirties, the era of the ‘paired window old look’ beginning in 1949 with the introduction a modified single door 4509 featuring drop-sash windows, forward facing seats on platforms and parcel racks began to attract a wide range of operators. These coaches, although built on transit platforms, afforded passengers the luxury and comfort of an over the road bus in short haul commuter operations.

The later air suspended 40 foot 5108 and its 35 foot 4515 counterpart fit the bill perfectly and, between them, nearly one thousand were built offering either hydraulic or mechanical transmissions from 1953 through 1959.

GM had been tinkering with Air Conditioning for transits from the early fifties but only made Frigidaire factory units available in 1958 as can be seen below on PSNJ number N 751 which was built in 1959. Prior to that time, operators including Public Service installed their own after market under-floor Thermo-King units (the air intake for which can be seen on the side of M 704.

Some Public Service History excerpted from Motor Coach Age;

Public Service Railway Co. was incorporated in August of 1907 to consolidate the operation of traction routes already controlled by the company's principals.

By 1910, bus travel began to threaten the traction business and in 1917 the company formed the New Jersey Transportation Co. as a subsidiary for the purpose of mass acquisition with its first line running from Tenafly to Camp Merritt.

By the mid-1920's the company was renamed Public Service Transportation Co., and began the gradual conversion of streetcar lines to buses. The fleet was a mix of varied types of coaches that came with acquired companies but it wasn't until the late 1920's that PSTC began updating the fleet with a mix of manufacturers and body types including some fabricated in their own shops.

Yellow Coach/GM buses became the standard for most of the company's operations by the mid 1930's, and it was by that time that the company distinguished its two main divisions as Public Service Coordinated Transport and Public Service Interstate Transport. The latter operated with GM's luxury parlor coaches, usually an amenity reserved for Greyhound passengers.

In the early 1970's, Public Service ceased as an identity and the company's name was changed to Transport Of New Jersey with the New Jersey DOT entering the picture as a contractor of subsidized bus routes.

The name was subsequently changed to New Jersey Transit, and still remains one of the largest bus operations in the world.

N 751 photo courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky

Mr. Linsky – Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty, Mr. Linsky. Looks like the ultimate development of our beloved GM Old Look buses! Mr. Green
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'GM's MODEL T6H 4523'

Pictured below is fleet number 9364 – a 1974 GM Model T6H-4523A and one of six originally numbered 62 through 67 and delivered to the Montebello Municipal Bus Lines of Montebello, California in October of that year.

The 35 foot long, 96 inch wide T6H 4523 was the last and most popular series of GM’s 45 passenger capacity ‘New Look’ buses with a grand total of 2562 produced between 1972 and 1977 (note; an ‘A’ following the model number indicated Air Conditioning and an ‘N’ meant none).

The 4523 series represented a vastly improved version of the original 4517 with updates to the drive train, exhaust system and structural integrity of roof components.

When I first looked at the photo of 9364, something odd about the bus caught my eye but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I read the accompanying notes.

The bus, which is now preserved, sat deteriorating for a number of years before it wound up in Tijuana Mexico where it was restored. Unfortunately, the artisans that performed the work had never seen a picture of a GM New Look and presumed that the unpainted metal work was to be highly polished as noted by the brilliant finish applied to the wheels, silversides and front end accoutrements (GM specifically designed these parts so as not to cause hazardous reflection especially at night).

Also pictured below, and carrying serial # 2562, is #141 belonging to the City of Wausau, Wisconsin and representing the last American built GM 45 passenger New Look transit (Canadian production continued until 1980).

Some history of Montebello Municipal;

The eastern Los Angeles Montebello Bus Lines began on July 28, 1931 with a small lot on the corner of Greenwood Ave and Olympic Blvd where the four buses the agency operated were housed. The conception of Montebello Bus Lines came after several other transit services had served the area, if only temporarily.

Two years after the City of Montebello became incorporated in 1920, the City launched its first attempt at operating a municipal bus line. However, the City decided to sell its bus operation to the Motor Transit Company in 1928.

A brief three years later, in 1931, the City purchased the line back from the Motor Transit Company, and thus was born Montebello Bus Lines. In the agency’s early days, passengers paid a nickel to ride the bus and bus operators earned $120 per month.

Since these humble beginnings, Montebello Bus Lines has grown to operate seven local routes, three express routes and a Dial-a-Ride service. Montebello Bus Lines serves 14 communities, providing transportation to 9.5 million passengers on an annual basis. Its peak period fleet of 67 buses was recently enhanced with the addition of five hybrid gasoline-electric buses. Montebello Bus Lines plans to purchase 42 more hybrid buses in the next three years.

Upper photo courtesy of NorCal Bus Fans.
Lower photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky – Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY operator

Wausau Area Transit
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'PHILADELPHIA'S CM MACKS'

Pictured below is fleet number 1704 - a 1941 Mack Model CM3G and one of 240 CM's delivered to the Philadelphia Transportation Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1940 and 1941.

Interestingly, an additional order for another 219 buses was cancelled in February of 1942 and was probably diverted by the Office of Defense Transportation (ODT) for use either by the military or in more vital civilian needs.

The Model CM available either in gasoline, gasoline electric or Diesel electric configurations was Mack's most popular prewar heavy duty bus selling nearly 1700 units.

In addition to Philadelphia some other large CM operators included Surface Transportation of New York, St. Louis Public Service, Capital Transit Company and Green Bus Lines.

An unusual piece of history about Philadelphia Transportation;

EXECUTIVE ORDER 9459
PHILADELPHIA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, POSSESSION AND CONTROL BY THE SECRETARY OF WAR

August 3, 1944

By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, including the Act of August 29, 1916, 39 Stat. 645, the First War Powers Act 1941, and Section 9 of the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940, as amended, as President of the United States and Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, I hereby authorize the Secretary of War to take possession and assume control of the transportation systems of the Philadelphia Transportation Company, including all real and personal property and other assets, wherever situated, used or useful in connection with the operation of said systems and I authorize him to utilize such systems for such purposes connected with the war emergency as he may deem needful or desirable and to terminate the possession and control of such systems when he determines that such possession and control are no longer necessary for purposes connected with the war emergency.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
THE WHITE HOUSE,
August 3, 1944.

Photo courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Pictured below in several poses including interiors and with many thanks to Double ‘A’ Transportation of Rocky Hill, Connecticut is ex fleet number M 704 – a 1958 GM Model TDM 5108 (ser# 0280) and one of 192 originally delivered to Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey between 1954 and 1959.

[/img]

I wonder where the exteror pictures were taken. When I was at Double in in August of 2002 for the Gathering of Buses. I didn't notice any large, flat grassy areas on the grounds. Also the bus has no license plate.

The interiior shot was definitely taken at Double A as a Flxible can be seen
through the windows on the driver's side of the bus.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

The caption included with the 5108 photos did not indicate where the images were taken but I'm very familiar with the Rocky Hill area and I know that there's still a good deal of open meadowlands.

My wife's grandfather settled into farming in Rocky Hill at the turn of the twentieth century and while the farm has long since been converted to condos, there's still much of the old town that we enjoy visiting (but I never knew about Double A!).

WCA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘THE 4505’s OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY’

Pictured below is fleet number 32430 – a 1942 Yellow Coach Model TD 4505 and one of 350 delivered to the United States Navy between March and June of that year.

Interestingly, the first fifty of the order (32201 to 32250) were diverted by the Office of Defense Transportation from Surface Transportation of New York.

Powered by Detroit 6-71 Diesels, these single door 4505’s were designed specifically for the Navy and sported factory installed fog lights (ala Greyhound), a special driver’s search light and a rather odd pair of front directional signals.

All Yellow transit coaches built at the time substituted steel bodies for aluminum (which increased their weight by one ton), wooden or painted steel passenger railings and no stainless steel or aluminum exterior bright work.

With a capacity of 45 passengers, the 4505 became quite popular among large city operators with nearly 750 built between 1941 and 1942 and, aside from the Navy, large orders went to the Omnibus Corporation of New York and Chicago and the Los Angeles Railway Corporation.

Also pictured in route from Pinole to El Sobrante California is fleet number 32313.

Photos are courtesy of Northern California Bus Fans.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's for Bill D.

Pictured at the Mack factory and about to get its final trim is a 1941 Model LD3G destined for delivery along with 24 others to the Connecticut Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Photo courtesy of the Mack Truck Museum

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
ECA,

The caption included with the 5108 photos did not indicate where the images were taken but I'm very familiar with the Rocky Hill area and I know that there's still a good deal of open meadowlands.

My wife's grandfather settled into farming in Rocky Hill at the turn of the twentieth century and while the farm has long since been converted to condos, there's still much of the old town that we enjoy visiting (but I never knew about Double A!).

WCA

To my dear friend Mr. L.

To get to the show I went up I-91. Got off at the Rocky Hill exit. Made a left (turned westbound), went over I-91 to the first traffic light (a dead end if I recall) and then make a right, headed north for about to blocks to Double A, located on the west side of the street. The street looked like it was the major n/s road in the area until the interstate was built.

http://www.doublea.com/

Everyone should look at the above link. They have an entensive section on their museum / rental buses.

ECA
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Pictured below in several poses including interiors and with many thanks to Double ‘A’ Transportation of Rocky Hill, Connecticut is ex fleet number M 704 – a 1958 GM Model TDM 5108 (ser# 0280) and one of 192 originally delivered to Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey between 1954 and 1959...

Mr Linsky -

Can't say I'm persuaded by the paint treatment and detailing on old, reliable, PSNJ M 704. The lower body color doesn't look right, for one thing...

I very much recall the "M" types in service. Rode them between Newark and NY - PABT, where the coaches served in Express Route services. They
were very capable and comfortable units, and PSNJ did not hesitate to put them on "long" charters...

It was a seasonal event, High School Class Trip To Washington, where the latest and greatest PSNJ coaches would come from New Jersey origins,
thru the Baltimore area like the Roman Legions. Used to watch for the coach, "Letter Prefix" to figure just what we were seeing. It was a spectacular
show, while it lasted!

..................Vern.............
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'THE MANHATTAN & QUEENS BUS CORPORATION'

Once again I have my good friend HartBus to thank for steering me in the direction of another great piece of Green Bus Lines history found on eBay.

Pictured below is fleet number 115 – a 1937 Mack model 6-CT-3S and one of 30 (101 to 130) originally delivered to the Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation of Long Island City, New York in December of 1936.

The Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation was formed in 1935 to replace the Manhattan and Queens Traction Company and its single route which ran from 2nd. Avenue and 59th. Street in Manhattan to South Jamaica via Queens Boulevard, and was numbered Q60.

In 1943, Green Bus Lines purchased the company and continued to operate under the M & Q flag until the franchise was officially transferred in 1947.

The photo of # 115 was taken at some time after 1947 during a layover at the Long Island Railroad station in Far Rockaway.

Of note is the placard placed in the destination sign housing denoting the route as ‘Q22 Rockaway Beach’ and another in the lower portion of the windshield with the legend ‘Far Rockaway’ – the reason being that the M & Q equipment came only with scrolls for the Q 60 line.

As Diesels began to make their appearance immediately after the war, most of Green Lines Mack’s including 70 of their own CT’s numbered in the 600’s and 700’s were relegated to minor roles both as school buses and in service in the Rockaways.

Also pictured below is M & Q # 110 at the Mack factory in its original medium green and cream livery

# 110 photo courtesy of the Mack Truck Museum.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘THE MACK’S OF THE U.S. NAVY’

Pictured below is fleet number U.S.N. 32749 – a 1942 Mack Model ‘Improved’ CM 4D and one of 150 originally built for Surface Transportation System of New York but diverted by the Office of Defense Transportation to the Navy Department and other defense related operators between April and August of that year.

By virtue of a change in New York State law that permitted 35 foot coaches, Mack stretched the standard 33 1/2 foot 40 passenger CM model by one window to 44 seats and emulated Yellow with the addition of anti reflective angled windshields.

Weighing in at over 18,000 lbs., these 180 horsepower Diesel electric coaches boasted ‘unitized’ body construction and a comparatively smooth and quiet ride which made them very popular among big city operators.

Out of the nearly 1,900 CM’s manufactured between 1939 and 1943, 235 were Diesel powered with most being of the stretched version.

Also pictured is # 32786 of the same group showing the destination as the Naval Air Station at Ellyson Field in Pensacola, Florida.

Photos courtesy of Jim Husing of NorCal Bus Fans.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post script to 'The Mack's of the U.S. Navy' essay;

The information below accompanied the attached photo which I think our Surface Transportation System fans will find very interesting;

Honolulu Rapid Transit (HRT) also got some diverted NY Macks from the U.S. Navy.

In 1942, HRT leased 25 of these Macks from the Navy and numbered them 975-999. In 1943 HRT leased four more and numbered them 971-974. These Macks were built in 1942. All of them were returned to the Navy in 1947.

Attached is one the Macks yet to be numbered by HRT, but still with its NY destination signs. I got this photo from the late Albert Moniz who was at one time the treasurer and long time employee of HRT.

Signed; Jim Husing of NorCal Bus Fans.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to HartBus, I had the opportunity to bid on another marvelous piece of Green Line history on eBay but was not successful (it had to have been a dollar or two but I forgot to up my original offer).

Nevertheless, I did capture the photo and, while it has the 'scanned' legend on it, there is still enough of the subject to understand and appreciate its value.

Pictured below is fleet number 701 - a 1938 Mack Model CT-3G and one of 35 (701 to 735) delivered to Green Bus Lines of Long Island City, New York in May of that year.

Despite being notoriously underpowered, the 37 passenger 525 cubic inch 6 cylinder 'CT' with a wheelbase of 214 inches was extremely popular among big city operators and nearly 600 were built between 1935 and 1943.

Together with 35 600's purchased the year before and 30 more inherited in 1943 with the acquistion of the Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation, Green Line ran 100 CT's with most surviving into the late fifties.

# 701, which is the first image of a Green Line CT that I have seen with a decent paint job, is stopped on Sutphin Boulevard at the subway station just south of Hillside Avenue circa 1941.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'NEW YORK CITY’S 5106 9000 SERIES’

Pictured below is fleet number 9117 – a 1958 GM Model TDH 5106 and one of 121 (9000 to 9120) delivered to the City of New York Board of Transportation in September of that year.

The city’s total inventory of 5106’s including 208 in the 7000 series delivered in November of 1957 was 329 and were the last Old Looks to be purchased before the introduction of the ‘New Look’ in 1959.

The 40 foot long, 96 inch wide 9000 series was very much a carbon copy of its sister 7000’s except for one very glaring detail which was the most unusual horizontal sliding passenger windows not seen on any other GM Old Look (as far as I know).

The reason is probably the fact that the 9000’s were originally built for and rejected by Honolulu Rapid Transit of Honolulu, Hawaii who undoubtedly wanted a window configuration to match that of the C-50 Mack.

Also of note are the pantographic windshield wiper arms, black steel bumpers in place of chromium and the built-in loud speaker just over the front wheel well.

GM did attempt to peddle these buses to the Cooper Group (Green Line, Triboro and Jamaica) but they had purchased 5106's already and did not want to invest futher in what was to become a dated model.

All of the City’s 5106’s operated well into the late sixties when they were either sold off or scrapped.

Number 9098 of the group (also pictured below) has been preserved and is part of the MTA Museum fleet.

The bottom picture shows what was left of a 9000 after its second life with the Greenville and Lafayette Transportation Company of northern New Jersey.

City photos courtesy of BusTalk Galleries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 27 of 47

Jump to: