BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stabbing on MTA bus (Staten Island)/Staten Island items
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

The last time I was on the SI Ferry was back in 2000 (I rode the "KENNEDY" to St. George, and the "AMERICAN LEGION II" back to Whitehall St.)

The only unpleasant "incident" Your's Truly can remember involving the Ferry was when my folks and I were heading back to "Joisey", after the aforementioned late 1960's trip to Richmondtown (I was about 11 at the time)

We had a "hot dog supper" (including large Orangeades!) at the big lunch counter in the waiting from (of course, Dad and I wore jackets and ties), and then waited for the next boat back to Whitehall Street.

We were near the big sliding doors under the green electric "NEXT BOAT" sign, and I was able to catch a glimpse of the incoming boat (it was a "MERRELL" class)

The crowd in the waiting room surged towards the doors, eager to board.

But, oddly, when the boat was in the slip, the upper deck ramps had not been lowered, and we could hear a lot of agitated shouting.

At some point, we heard a ferry employee on the other side of the doors: "I think they got a race riot or something on board."

No announcements were made over the PA; and, I happened to be looking out of the waiting room window, and I saw a "MISS NEW YORK"-class boat, smoking up a storm, pull out of an adjacent layup slip.

Some more minutes went by (we could hear police sirens from outside), and finally the sliding doors rumbled open, and the crowds were directed to the next slip, where the "MISS NEW YORK"-class boat had docked, and was now loading.

There was still a lot of commotion going on with the other boat; the upper deck ramps STILL had not been lowered.

We boarded our boat, and, (thankfully) uneventfully, set sail for Manhattan.

I remember we then took an "Eye-Are-Tee" 7th Avenue train uptown to the "Port-of-Authority", where we boarded a familiar NHBL "Sherman" (#5 line) for the short, 15-minute trip back to Union City.

Mom, like me, was always fascinated by the gap fillers at the old South Ferry Loop station (she always called them "pneumatic gates"; that's I how I STILL refer to the gap fillers!)

We never learned the details of what actually happened aboard the "MERRELL"-class boat on that sunny, summer Sunday, but, to this day, I still recall it clearly, well over 50 years later.....

"NYO"

["DEPARTMENT OF MARINE & AVIATION"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also, to this day, still clearly remember, as our steaming "MISS NEW YORK"-class pulled out of the St. George slip, we could see police cars with their lights flashing in the vehicular loading area of the terminal............

"NYO"

["FARE 5 CENTS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B/all:

This page features a number of rare Staten Island bus (TWU) photos (showing a variety of rolling stock) from the 1940's into the 1980's..........

https://www.silive.com/news/2016/02/12_vintage_bus_photos_from_atu_2.html

ATU, actually - the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 726, which represented S.I. and (I.I.N.M.) Queens bus drivers. But yep, the pics are indeed remarkable. And from that farebox, we see 'CA' was the Castleton code. I think 'YUK' was Yukon depot. Wasn't the ill-fated Edgewater depot (where a few WMATA's fell into the water) 'EDG'?

Oh, and I made a jaunt to SI today, to shop at a Stop & Shop to get some foodstuffs I couldn't find in my abode of Manhattan - the S48 on which I traveled to and from "the Ferry" en route to that store, had once been the R/S107. As the buses don't travel that frequently on weekends, I walked down Forest Avenue several blocks before I got a bus back to St. George. (Going to SI, I was on the "John Marchi" and coming back I rode on the "Michael Ollis.")

W.B.:

Am curious.....what do the engines on the current ferries sound like?

I have recordings I made (decades ago!) of the KENNEDY"-class engines, with their powerful, screaming, whining diesels (these engines always brought back childhood memories of the ERIE-LACKAANNA ferry "LACKAWANNA", which had been converted to diesel in 1949)

Her whining, high-pitched engines earned her the nickname of "Whining Willy" from crew and commuters alike.

I always loved the "KENNEDY"-class boats (AND the sounds of their engines!) Wink

"NYO"

["AMERICAN LEGION II"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of SI Ferry engines....

The "MERRELL"-class boats were powered by "SKINNER MARINE UNIFLOW" engines; one of the ERIE's ferries, the "MEADVILLE" (later E-L's "MAPLEWOOD" also had such an engine.

All Staten Island steamers, from the "PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT" and the 'MISS NEW YORK"-class boats utilized the tried and true double-compound engines.........

"NYO"

["DEPARTMENT OF PLANT AND STRUCTURES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIRT "nooze".........

The first R-211S cars are now being trucked from Brooklyn to Staten Island (recall, carfloat service to SI has been gone for decades)

The R-211S are "third generation" SIRT cars; the original 1925 ME-1's ran until 1973, when they were replaced by the present R-44's.

Now, the third generation of SIRT rolling stock is arriving; thew R-44's, serving for 50 years (has it been that long already) are now in their twilight of their long careers..........

"NYO"

["GREAT KILLS EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rare circa-1954 photo of a group of of ex-SIRT ME-1's being floated over to Brooklyn, where they will be refurbished for "Bee-Em-Tee" service (only the motor cars were used in revenue service; the trailers were used as work cars and as yard offices)

All would be retired by about 1960..............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?87049

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["RIDE THE RAPID"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIRT "nooze".........

The first R-211S cars are now being trucked from Brooklyn to Staten Island (recall, carfloat service to SI has been gone for decades)

The R-211S are "third generation" SIRT cars; the original 1925 ME-1's ran until 1973, when they were replaced by the present R-44's.

Now, the third generation of SIRT rolling stock is arriving; thew R-44's, serving for 50 years (has it been that long already) are now in their twilight of their long careers..........

"NYO"

["GREAT KILLS EXPRESS"]

It would seem those R-44's service would have been fourth behind the Standards, R-32's and "Bee-Em-Tee" elevated "Q" cars in terms of overall service longevity. Funny those R-44's outlived those for the regular subways. Ain't anything to sneeze at, in any case. Now on the subways, the oldest running cars are the R-46's. Who knew that they'd be as old today as the "Arnines" were in the 1970's?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Yes, it is ironic that the SIRT 44's outlived their subway counterparts; recall, when the 44's replaced the venerable ME-1's, the SIRT was still utilizing B&O position light signals.

Like a lot of "traditional-minded" fans of that time, Your's Truly shied away from the 44's; I had too many fond memories of those noisy, growling, screeching ME-1's, with their walkover rattan seats and high-pitched whistles....those cars had a LOT of personality!

Too, a lot of the fun evaporated when the last SIRT grade crossings vanished in the mid-60's (New Dorp always come to my mind, first and foremost)

For many years, the old,rotting pilings that remained from the old Perth Amboy ferry at Tottenville (shut down late 1963) could still be seen; even these remainders of a past way of life are long gone.

I am VERY fortunate of having wonderful childhood memories of that crossing, with its little open-deck diesel boats, and its ramshackle ferry houses.

Back in the 80's, there was a set of decrepit, boarded-up ME-1's on a side track at Tottenville, evoking fond memories of the past...........

"NYO"

["TOTTENVILLE LOCAL"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a modern-day view of the St. George Terminal (I have not visited St. George in well over 20 years; at one time, though, I knew this terminal like the back of my hand)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/575616396092835650/

The bus lanes have all been rebuilt ("Shermans", "Pattons", "Dangerfields","Bombers", and RTS are now long gone)

Note how the new stadium and other new construction have obliterated all traces of the old B&O yards and float bridge areas.

If you can recall the days when the 69th st. Ferry slips were still intact, you can still spot the former location.

For a number of years after the 69th St. boats stopped running in late 1964, one slip was used by the FDNY's Marine Company No. 9 to dock "FIRE FIGHTER".

It is also interesting to see that SI boats still have layup facilities at St. George, as they have had for many decades.

As a young lad, Your's Truly still recalls clearly the Coast Guard craft that was docked near the terminal the site of the former Lighthouse Depot.

The years have flown by all to quickly.....so many changes......

"NYO"

["NEXT BOAT"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sherman's Twilight" (Staten Island)............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154946

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153329

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154941

["9000"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my collection, I have a postcard Mom bought for me at the newsstand at the Whitehall Street terminal, about 60 years ago.

The panoramic view shows a VERY busy St. George terminal; judging by the autos in the view, it looks though the postcard dates to about 1963.

A number of autos have just debarked from a SI boat, while two long lines of vehicles are awaiting the next 69th St. boat.

A "DONGAN HILLS"-class boat is docked at the terminal, while a "MISS NEW YORK"-class boat is seen approaching the terminal; also, two 69th St. boats, one docked and another approaching the slips.

At least sixteen "Tee-Yay" buses are to be seen in this nostalgic scene, either at the bus platforms, or laying over.

All the buses are either "Shermans" or "Pattons".

This is just how I remember the St. George terminal was I was small.

The SIRT's interlocking tower can also be seen...........

"NYO"

["R-103"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aforementioned postcard was distributed by:

PERSONALIZED GIFTS

552 RICHMOND AVENUE

STATEN ISLAND 2, NEW YORK

The card was printed by"

PROGRESSIVE PUBLICATIONS,INC.

244 W. 49th STREET

NY 19, NY
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This early 1950's photo of the Whitehall Street ferry terminal shows the facility before the rebuilding/modernization which was completed in 1956.

Note the "MISS NEW YORK"-class ferries.

The small ferryboat on the left was an US ARMY ferry, running to Governors island.

The complex network of elevated lines has, of course, disappeared (the 3rd Avenue El was the last elevated line to serve South Ferry; service to the terminal ended in 1950)

Note, also, the buses awaiting passengers.........

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/366269382196087594/

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have several "Pattons" at South Ferry, back in 1955..........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156970

["M-13 FIRST AVE"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have several "Pattons" at South Ferry, back in 1955..........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156970

["M-13 FIRST AVE"]

All with outdated roll signs; that route should have read 'M-15 First & Second Avenues'. Which it would finally do when the Manhattan Bus Division's allotment of 7000-series "Shermans" arrived in 1957. By that time (and from 1954 to 1966) the M-13 designation was used for a shuttle bus to and from the New York Journal-American building (or as the "Tee-Yay" characterized it, "Journal Building Omnibus Line" - and a branch of the M-15 itself).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: