BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sidney Poitier and Greyhound (and buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
The magnificence once to be found in the Windy City......

www.connectingthewindycity.com/2014/03/chicago-greyhound-terminal-opens-march.html

I used to love that terminal. Spent a lot of time at that one, too. Listening to Jack Kerry’s (the “voice” of Greyhound’s) mellifluous recorded departure announcements to the far corners of our country. The four year newer Penn Center terminal in Philadelphia was somewhat similar…

Other carriers sharing it, included, Indian Trails, Indiana Motor Bus Co., Peoria-Rockford Coach Co., and commuter lines, United Motor Coach, and South Suburban Safeway Lines…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You re indeed lucky that you can recall using that magnificent terminal's interior photos remind me of the old "Port-of-Authority", before the "improvements" of the 1980's. Sad

Chicago, back in the day, was not only a Mecca for bus enthusiasts, but also, railfans.

Recall the many historic separate depots about town; remembr Dearborn, from where you could board an ERIE or E-L train for Jersey City or Hoboken.

Back in what I now term the "Jim Lehrer Era", Chicago had to be a wonderful place to see GREYHOUND, TRAILWAYS, and many other carriers in action.

Dang shame that the handsome 1950's GREYHOUND terminal at Chicago had to be replaced in the name of "progress"....... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my collection, I have a 1957 TT for GREYHOUND's "NEW THRU-BUS SERVICE" via the "GOLDEN GATE ROUTE" and the "FORTY-NINER ROUTE" between Chicago, St. Louis, and San Francisco.

A few interesting notations:

"NYC": Thru-bus to and from Chicago (NYC-CHICAGO)

"BC": Thru-bus to and from Boston (CHICAGO-BOSTON)

"PC": Thru-bus to and from Pittsburgh (CHICAGO-PITTSBURGH)

(solid triangle designated a non-stop Turnpike express)

Cover of this 1957 TT features a drawing depicting a SCENICUISER and a 4104................

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957 was the year that you could leave New York via the Lincoln Tunnel, the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio Turnpikes, the Indiana Toll Road, and the Chicago Skyway Toll Bridge, for a non-stop, no red light ride to Chicago.
Greyhound took full advantage of this, and started the world’s longest non stop bus schedule between the Pennslyvania Greyhound Terminal on 34th Street, and the underground Chicago Loop Greyhound Terminal, stopping only for rest stops on the toll roads, as well as 2 driver changes.
It was held down with Scenicruiser’s on the first section.
Popular Mechanics was intrigued enough by the operation to do a feature story and ride-along on it.
It’s end to end running time rivaled The Broadway Limited and 20th Century Limited…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Greatly appreciate this info; ahhh, to go back in time, and actually EXPERIENCE what you just described! Very Happy

On the wall just above my "GREYHOUND COLLECTION: SECTION 1" display area, among other repro GREYHOUND signs, I have one that shows a 4104 and the following:

"WHEN YOU WANT TO TRAVEL STRAIGHT THROUGH" (free from driving strain....on time-saving Express Schedules)

One thing I've been curious about, something that I'm sure you can answer is whatever became of the old "regional" companies, such as:

"EASTERN GREYHOUND"

"ATLANTIC GREYHOUND"

"GREAT LAKES GREYHOUND"

"SOUTHWESTERN GREYHOUND" (etc.)

How does (what's left of it) GREYHOUND designate its different regional operations nowadays?

I know you're the "man in the know", here..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this 1972 photo (7th Avenue & 4th St.) note that, at the DE MILLE theatre, "BUCK AND THE PREACHER", starring the late Sidney Poitier, was playing (Sidney also directed this film)

His co-stars were the lovely and talented Ruby Dee (who touchingly played his wife "Ruth" in both the stage and film versions of "A RAISIN IN THE SUN"), as well as his close and longtime friend, the legendary Harry Belefonte......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155586

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Greatly appreciate this info; ahhh, to go back in time, and actually EXPERIENCE what you just described! Very Happy

On the wall just above my "GREYHOUND COLLECTION: SECTION 1" display area, among other repro GREYHOUND signs, I have one that shows a 4104 and the following:

"WHEN YOU WANT TO TRAVEL STRAIGHT THROUGH" (free from driving strain....on time-saving Express Schedules)

One thing I've been curious about, something that I'm sure you can answer is whatever became of the old "regional" companies, such as:

"EASTERN GREYHOUND"

"ATLANTIC GREYHOUND"

"GREAT LAKES GREYHOUND"

"SOUTHWESTERN GREYHOUND" (etc.)

How does (what's left of it) GREYHOUND designate its different regional operations nowadays?

I know you're the "man in the know", here..... Wink

"NYO"

When I started in the industry, in 1968, The Greyhound Corporation had already consolidated it’s original companies into four U S and two Canadian divisions:
Eastern based in Cleveland
Southern based in Atlanta
Central based in Fort Worth
Western based in San Francisco

GLC based in Calgary
ECG based in London, ON

Corporate HQ in Chicago.

In 1969 the four U S combined into
GLE based in Cleveland
GLW based in San Francisco
The two Canadian combined into
GLC based in Calgary

Corporate HQ moved to Phoenix.
Later in the 70’s, GLE and GLW combined.

After the sale of the company and the big strike in the late ‘80’s, the ATU combined its local unions into a single national union in the U S.
HQ was in Dallas, the Canadian company was owned separately until recombined when Laidlaw acquired both.

Nowadays the regional areas are for internal administration only…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: