BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 1926 Cardinal's Train/Religion On The Rails/etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the "5" placard in the windshield of this NHBL WHITE, waiting for the starter's bell to signal its driver to pull out, to begin its inbound run to the PABT.

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153650

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

NHBL, at the time, also operated older WHITE 798's, as well as several different Old Look models.

The NHBL Fishbowl in the previous photo was "B114"; the MACK seen here is "B113".

Beginning, then, in the late 1930's, both the NHBL and SHBL buses (IBOA: Independent Bus Owners) began carrying a prefix to their bus numbers.

Interestingly, when it came time for a certain "Boulevard" bus to be retired, the new bus which replaced it was given the same number as the bus it replaced.

I can also remember two NHBL Old Looks in particular; one was "B125", while the other was "B125x".

The SHBL buses were assigned lower numbers, while those assigned to the NHBL carried higher numbers.

Also, the SHBL buses were mostly gray, easily compared to their NHBL counterparts.

The buses seen here, about 15 minutes after pulling out, would be passing by our old Union City apartment building, on 13th St.

Though the majestic and historic LOEW's theatre still stands today (presently undergoing renovation), none of the original businesses on the west side of the boulevard are still in operation today; also, the old, well-patronized, JM FIELDS store (which also had an entrance/exit to the old H&M/PATH station, which was marked by an overhead sign, seen here) had been, in more recent years, a CH MARTIN, which, itself, is also gone.

This modern discount department store was built about 1956.

Note, also, the Art-Deco bus waiting shelters, also long gone.

Mom and I boarded the #1 for Union City here too many times to count, when I was growing up, back in the 1960's.

Back then, you could look down into the railroad cut, and see both H&M/PATH trains and electrified PRR freights; today, the PATH Transportation Center occupies this area, and nothing on the east side of the boulevard remains today.......

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:31 am; edited 2 times in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original story of the 1926 Eucharistic Congress closing day with 800,000 in attendance. I note that the bishops' committee for the Indianapolis celebration in July of 2024 presumes that attendance will be 80,000. I guess the drop is lack of the Indiana Railroad trolley network.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Back to the original story of the 1926 Eucharistic Congress closing day with 800,000 in attendance. I note that the bishops' committee for the Indianapolis celebration in July of 2024 presumes that attendance will be 80,000. I guess the drop is lack of the Indiana Railroad trolley network.

Joe:

Remember, also, that there have been drastic changes in the Church, during the past century; the number of priests and nuns has drastically and dramatically plummeted during the past several decades, many Catholic schools have long since closed, and many parishes (especially those in urban areas) have merged (this is especially true in Hudson County), or closed down entirely.

Growing up in 1960's Hudson County, it was not at all uncommon to see a priest riding the buses (the same regarding nuns); nuns were also then commonplace in subway stations, sitting on a folding chair, holding a small plate, hoping for donations to their Order (I well remember the elderly nun who, for years, at at the foot of the escalators at the old H&M/PATH station at Journal Square)

You would also see such nuns at the PABT.

In Union City, two blocks from our old apartment house, St. Joseph's (where my folks were married in 1935) the famed "Veronica's Veil" (Passion Play) was held every Lent on the weekends, since before 1920.

The attendance was tremendous; many came from out of state to see this long-established and monumental production. Mom used to take me up to Central Avenue, where dozens of chartered buses would be lined up on both sides of the street.

I can remember Old Looks, ACF-BRILLS, YELLOW 743's, MACKS, FLEX.....the variety of buses seen was outstanding!

In later years, interest in the play gradually diminished, and, in the later 1970's (long after we'd moved) only three of four buses would still be parked outside the Church and theatre, where, back in the 60's, there'd be dozens.

St. Joseph's incidentally ,is, now the Church of St. Joseph & St. Michael (St. Michael's, known to locals as "The Monastery" closed many years ago; the massive, domed, mid-1800's structure is now on the Endangered Landmarks list)

This monumental church, easily recalling St. Peter's in Rome, has been in a state of decay for many years.

This church (the surrounding buildings were once a thriving community for the Passionists) was very much a part of my family for decades.

Many chartered buses once brought worshipers to the Novenas, which were always crowded to near capacity for many years......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Michael's, known to generations of Union City residents as simply, "The Monastery".

Truly sad and tragic that this magnificent and monumental church has since fallen into great decay......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastery_and_Church_of_Saint_Michael_the_Archangel
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I'd mentioned the large number of charter buses that once carried the crowds coming in to see the old "Veronica's Veil" Passion Play in Union City, at St. Joseph's, back in the 1950's and 1960's.

Two of the companies which I can recall seeing represented were "HUDSON VALLEY" and "ENGLEWOOD BUS".....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154483

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154530

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large number of Passionists from around the United States also journeyed to Chicago in 1926 for the Eucharistic Congress.

This page gives the history of the Passionists*.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passionists

*(Back in the 1960's, you often saw a Passionist priest riding on a PSNJ #16 or #17 bus, as both routes then passed by the old St. Michael's Monastery)

Both of these routes have been gone now for decades......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: