BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Funny Buses'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: 'Funny Buses' Reply with quote

Pictured below is a 1966 TDH 5303 operated by Cleveland RTA, Cleveland Ohio as their fleet number 5566 in service as a mobile repair shop.

Notice the novel front bumper (taken from an 'RTS')

This shop on wheels is apparently one of two and were ex Garfield Heights Coach Lines buses.

For larger picture go to; http://www.barp.ca/bus/usa/images/58180035.JPG

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictured below is Tom's Texas Hots, Steak Sandwiches, Italian Coffee and Ice Cream Shop in a converted GM TDH 3501.

Pretty good for a rolling diner! - photo taken July 1988.

For larger picture go to; http://www.barp.ca/bus/usa/images/toms.jpg

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ones, Mr. Linsky! Somewhere, I've got a photo of a New Look front grafted on to an Old Look body. Can't find it at the moment, though, among the thousands of bus photos I've saved on the computer over the years.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GCRTA bus probably has that front bumper to push non-running buses. It sort of looks diseased.

The GM "New/Old Look" was a gas-turbine test bus built in 1964 by GM Engineering. It's currently in Chicagoland Historical Bus Museum's collection. Unfortuately, I don't have any photos of it scanned, and the CHBM website is having problems displaying photos. There is a thumbnail of it on the CHBM Collection page.

Four years eariler, Flxible built a "New/Old Look" for CTA. It was a prototype diesel-powered bus, as all the Flxible and Twin Coach Old Looks before it ran on propane. It's currently part of the CTA historic fleet; there's a good photo at the bottom of Bill Vandervoort's CTA roster.

Apparently not content with factory-built jackelopes, the CTA built their own as a pilot program for rebuilding their Flxible New Looks. This is #3091, a 1965 F2D6V-401 that received an MAN artic front end and Flyer D901 side windows and headlight modules. It's used as a Roadeo Bus.

Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
The GM "New/Old Look" was a gas-turbine test bus built in 1964 by GM Engineering. It's currently in Chicagoland Historical Bus Museum's collection. Unfortuately, I don't have any photos of it scanned, and the CHBM website is having problems displaying photos. There is a thumbnail of it on the CHBM Collection page.

Yep, that's the bus alright. The site was working okay when I just checked. I'd never seen anything but the front view before.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: 'Cleveland RTA' Reply with quote

Michael,

The RTS bumper wouldn't have looked as bad if it were in a more sedate color, but in fire engine red it does look ridiculous!

If the purpose is for pushing a disabled bus, I would have gone with either a very heavy wooden beam or even the massive steel bumper of a later model "Old Look'.

I think they did it just for laughs myself.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, & Arverne, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: