BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

According to "TRAILWAYS BUSES" (William A. Luke):

".......CAROLINA TRAILWAYS began as CAROLINA COACH COMPANY in 1925. The company joined the NATIONAL TRAILWAYS BUS SYSTEM in 1940......."

".......most of CAROLINA TRAILWAY's routes were in North Carolina. During WW2, the company served many military sites, such as Camp Lee......."

Photo shown is of one of two air-conditioned AEROCOACH P-33 coaches, purchased in 1941; by 1947, the company had 126 AEROCOACHES on the roster......

"NYO"

Carolina Coach Company’s routes going north ended in Danville, or Richmond, or Norfolk, Virginia.
Later on, they purchased Red Star Transit, and that extended them via the Virginia Ferry Corp. on to the Delmarva Peninsula into Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
This proud and dapper GREYHOUND driver had 32 years "on the road", before he retired in 1977......another "Hound" veteran that surely had many great stories to tell..... Wink

https://aadl.org/N111_0351_004

Operator Morrow is wearing the uniform that I described in my post. That was the coat. There was also an optional waist length “Ike jacket”, driver’s could purchase.

My new employer, Academy, is one company that still requires drivers to be in full uniform, however they use a vest instead of a coat or jacket, over a military cut shirt with epaulettes and pockets, and Company patches on shoulder and above pocket. They don’t use a service cap, but do have an optional baseball type cap with the logo on it…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Always great to hear your interesting views and comments! Wink

Last night, on DVD, I was watching (again) "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", which, IMHO, is STILL the BEST "Hound" movie ever filmed! Very Happy

Though I've watched this classic flick too many times to count, this time around, I noticed something "local" for the first time ever:

In one segment, we see "Ellie" approaching the departure gate for her New York-bound bus.

Over the doors leading to the buses, I (for the first time) noticed that, on the signs over the doors listing the cities served, Elizabeth (NJ) and Newark were listed! Shocked

I had, for some reason, never noticed this before!

Recall, the movie debuted in 1934; the Lincoln Tunnel was still under construction, and GREYHOUND would have used the Holland Tunnel to enter New York.

Too, the present Penn Station in Newark was still under construction, and would not open until 1935; I'm guessing that GREYHOUND then called at the PS Terminal.

As to Elizabeth, I'm thinking that GREYHOUND must have had at least a "storefront" depot in the vicinity of the PRR and CNJ stations, near "The Arch".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....none of the old GREYHOUND timetables I have list Elizabeth, although both Newark and Jersey City are listed.

According to a 1965 EASTERN GREYHOUND tt I have, there were also stops/stations in Yonkers and at 1381 Jerome Avenue.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always be interesting to know if the GREYHOUND routes that served Newark either also stopped at Journal Square (en route to New York) or simply continued to run non-stop into Manhattan.

I'm guessing that they did stop at Journal Square, but not sure (I know, for many years, GREYHOUND had a "storefront" depot on Sip Avenue (Journal Square) across from the PS terminal.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I'd mentioned "The Arch" in downtown Elizabeth.

Back in the olden days, you had the CNJ main line from Jersey City passing beneath the PRR (today's NEC) as well as a number of busy PSNJ streetcar, ASV, and bus routes passing through this area.

In a book I have on the Newark City Subway, there is a photo of a SILVERSIDES passing by the PS carhouse in Montclair (Bloomfield Avenue at Bell St.) taken about 1951......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a 1959 MARTZ tt, their buses served both Newark and Jersey City (PS Terminals in both cities).............

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest MARTZ tt I have is from 1979.

Newark is still listed as a stop (it is designated an "agency station")

The tt does not give a location for this station; recall, the PS Terminal had just recently been demolished.

Earlier, I'd mentioned GREYHOUND also serving Elizabeth (as seen by the overhead station sign in 1934's "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT")

In an old PS publication I have, there is a (early/mid 1930's) photo showing a PSNJ streetcar at "The Arch" in downtown Elizabeth, with a GREYHOUND bus just entering the photo from the right.

Depending on which direction the bus was going, it was either heading to New York (via Newark) or on an westbound run.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall in the late ‘60’s, EGL still had 2 or 3 Philly Locals that stopped at Jersey City, Newark, New Brunswick, Princeton, Trenton, Pendel, and a couple of stops on North Broad Street.

I can imagine that prior to the completion of the NJ TP, they had a lot more, probably making more local stops along the Lincoln Highway/Post Road including Elizabeth…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, appreciate your input! Wink

Oddly enough, back in the days when GREYHOUND still called at Journal Square, I cannot recall seeing even ONE bus at the storefront depot on Sip Avenue (and we were in JSQ too many times to count, back in the day!)

Until the 1970's (at least) both DE CAMP and SOMERSET had :ocal" routes that served Newark.

With the city in decline after the 1967 riots, and the eventual closing of the big department stores in the areas, all helped to cause bus routes (local and long-haul) to be cut back/abandoned........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the (now gone) PS station at Journal Square, back in 1973; note the GREYHOUND depot across Sip Avenue, in the backgound......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154505

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually rode one of them that stopped there, in early 1968. It was the morning run out of The Port. The driver at first would not let me board, directing me to the express on the next gate. I explained that I specifically wished to ride the local, for the different scenery. He told me that it would take almost twice as long, and he needed the seats for passengers boarding downline. I insisted on riding it, so he finally took my ticket.
I sat right behind him in the aisle seat, and as we travelled, he kept watching me suspiciously in the mirror. I usually like to talk with the driver, but drcided in this case, it would be wise to refrain. Anyway, sure enough, we had a few standees out of Trenton.

When we arrived Philly, he remarked to another driver, loud enough for me to hear: “I had a spook (spotter) on my trip.”
I finally understood what his concern was about…he thought I was a spy for the Company.

By the way, we ran the Pulaski Skyway from Jersey City to Newark.😎
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

VERY interesting little tale; ALWAYS greatly enjoy hearing of your long-ago bus adventures! Wink

Over the many years that I commuted into the city, I found drivers that were either VERY sociable (and friendly!) while others had a "standoffish" demeanor that did not encourage any conversation. Sad

After the ACADEMY drivers on the Nungessers-Hoboken line (rush hours) got to know Your's Truly on a daily basis,they would let me board before anyone else, while they were laying over in the park (and, after a short while, they did not even CHARGE me!) Shocked Very Happy

I always reciprocated, buying them coffee from WHITE CASTLE in the mornings, and giving the a bottle at Christmastime.

One day, knowing that I was into buses, one older driver took off his ACADEMY tie clip (bearing a nicely-detailed MCI!) and just gave it to me; I STILL display it to this day, and STILL recall that simple act of generosity!

Back in the early 1990's, A very cordial ex-PSNJ driver I knew (on NJT's #181; he looked quite a bit like an older Eddie Murphy!)) presented me one wintry day with his old PS jacket (fit like it was tailor made!), his old uniform, cap, AND his old PS driver's employee's ID plate, with his name on it, and, of course the PS insignia!

I STILL treasure these rare artifacts today!

I also knew an older ex-PS driver whose #21 (today's #181) I rode day after day out of Hoboken during my senior year of high school (1974/1975); he had a lot of old stories to tell (some trolley related!), and, it was through him that I learned that the drivers referred to "spotters" as "spooks" (as in "ghosts")

Ahhhh, what great memories of a long-lost era in buses!!!Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newark.......

By the 1970's, DE CAMP was seeing ridership on its "local" Newark lines (145/146) dwindle to the point where, outside of rush hours, service was reduced to every two hours.

In 1965, DE CAMP had purchased five TDM-5304's for use on the Newark runs; in 1974, these buses were sold to RED & TAN......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of "transplants" like me, at our Florida locations. Many of them drove for Academy in NJ. Yesterday, one of them told me that Red and Tan's old garage was shut down, and operations moved over to Community's garage.
(Both are Coach USA properties).....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 17 of 79

Jump to: