BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSNJ: the last years........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was always interesting to see a PS driver loading an Eagle at Gate 35 on the PABT lower level, the only lower level gate they used. This made PS the only carrier at The Port to use all three bus levels.

Even more interesting, was to see Public Service buses at the Trailways Washington, DC terminal, driven by Safeway drivers to Allentown.
Or, seeing PS buses at the Capitol Trailways terminal in Harrisburg, in the “Alphabet” pool…PS NYC to Allentown, Safeway Allentown to Reading, and Capitol Reading to Harrisburg. Capitol used 4903’s, but on at least one occasion I saw an SDM-5304 substitute. It’s 49 seats was useful, but the lack of a restroom was a problem…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Again, appreciate the information.

Recall, also, that when the Lincoln Tunnel opened in 1937, only one tube was ready for use; the second tube would not open until near the end of WW2.

The third tube opened in 1957, 20 years after the first tube opened.

Like many other NJ carriers of that time, DE CAMP began their New York operations in 1927, via the Holland Tunnel.

When the "Port-of-Authority" opened in late 1950, virtually all buses heading in from New Jersey ended their runs at the new facility.

Then, too, recall the now long-defunct suburban companies that terminated in outdoor stations in Upper Manhattan, near the GWB, prior to the opening of the new terminal in the early 60's.

Remember, also, some New Jersey carriers that served both the "Port-of-Authority" and the GWB terminal (PS, INTER-CITY, RED & TAN, MANHATTAN LINES, etc).............

"NYO"

["56-NEW YORK VIA BRIDGE"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon May 08, 2023 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
It was always interesting to see a PS driver loading an Eagle at Gate 35 on the PABT lower level, the only lower level gate they used. This made PS the only carrier at The Port to use all three bus levels.

Even more interesting, was to see Public Service buses at the Trailways Washington, DC terminal, driven by Safeway drivers to Allentown.
Or, seeing PS buses at the Capitol Trailways terminal in Harrisburg, in the “Alphabet” pool…PS NYC to Allentown, Safeway Allentown to Reading, and Capitol Reading to Harrisburg. Capitol used 4903’s, but on at least one occasion I saw an SDM-5304 substitute. It’s 49 seats was useful, but the lack of a restroom was a problem…

traildriver:

Wow! Shocked

Sure wish I had YOUR memories, here! Wink

You were indeed watching "living history" and not realizing it at the time!Very Happy

As a kid, I can remember seeing (and sometimes riding) 4104's and 4106's at the old Sip Avenue station at Journal Square; I never recall seeing any TDH/TDM-type suburbans at this location.

I well remember the small storefront depot GREYHOUND had on Sip Avenue, Jersey City (opposite the now-gone PS terminal) and the TRAILWAYS travel agency/ticket office on 32nd St. in Union City (my hometown!) Wink

I remember they always had tin litho TRAILWAYS buses in the front window, 60-odd years ago! Very Happy

Man, where have the decades gone Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1955) GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS each rate a full chapter of of excellent (and, today, nostalgic!) photos.

There is one photo captioned thus (caution: laffs a-comin'!)

".......inside the luxury terminal at the Port Authority building, itself inside the World Trade Center........."Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This one ALWAYS catches my eye!Shocked Wink

Actually, the photo was taken at the TRAILWAYS departure/arrival area at the PABT.

"......this is the Trailways section, run by part of the Trailways corporation, in this instance called Trailways of New England, Inc......."

Another TRAILWAYS photo shows a Model 10 "gaining speed out of the Port Authority terminal in New York on a local run......"

(bus was signed: "NEW YORK CITY")

Here's another hoot of a photo caption, showing an EAGLE inside some terminal area:

"......this photo was taken at the Port Authority Terminal in Manhattan, right in Dallas................" Razz Razz Razz Shocked Shocked Shocked Razz Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Another TRAILWAYS photo in this book shows an EAGLE being washed down at the La Crosse terminal:

".......looks like more soap is being used here than Greyhound would have used.........." Rolling Eyes Confused

Ahhh, 'tis to laugh.....(!!!!) Laughing Laughing

"NYO"

["EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "AMERICAN BUSES" (Jacobs)............

Two photos show EAGLE coaches being washed down at the "maintenance yard" in New York, showing the buses washed by automatic washers (caption states that the buses were also washed by hand at this location)

I'm now wondering if GREYHOUND later took this facility over......

["DALLAS"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Regarding "AMERICAN BUSES" (Jacobs)............

Two photos show EAGLE coaches being washed down at the "maintenance yard" in New York, showing the buses washed by automatic washers (caption states that the buses were also washed by hand at this location)

I'm now wondering if GREYHOUND later took this facility over......

["DALLAS"]

I don’t have that book handy to see the photo, but it is probably the Safeway Trails New York garage, on 11th Avenue, between 40th and 41st Streets. That garage had two indoor, and one outdoor wash and service lanes, as well as a modest mechanical repair facility (Safeway’s major home shop was in Washington, DC.). It also had an outdoor parking lot for buses. There was a second floor over the garage that had some offices, and a large driver lounge with recliners for drivers resting between DC turnaround trips, drivers on “protection”, or standby duty, and a rec room, with vending machines.

If a schedule overloaded in The Port, a driver and bus parked on the wall in the Port would move to the gate for a “second section”. The dispatcher would then call a driver at the garage to bring another protect bud to the port, just a couple of blocks away.

Continental Trailways (American Buslines division), had its garage over in Hoboken. It was considerably larger, but inconveniently located. When CTS acquired Safeway, they now had two. Adirondack Trailways had its own small garage on 37th Street that could hold 9 buses. Most ADT trips were simply turned around in the Port, serviced back in Kingston or Albany major garages. ADT’s is now used by Verizon service trucks, Safeway’s was for many years the Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan dealership and service center.
Looking at a satellite image, it is now still a vacant lot. They started developing it when I was still there at the time of the completion of the 7 Train extension beneath it, but they ran into some sort of environmental snag, and apparently are still stalled for some reason.

Greyhound built its consolidated New York Maintenance Center directly across 11th Avenue from the Safeway garage, taking up the entire city block. This is now the MTA Quill bus depot. Greyhound Lines was still using the two level underground drivers dormitory, leased back from the MTA who could find no use for it.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Greatly appreciate all of this interesting information on the GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS service facilities in Manhattan; THANK YOU for taking the time to post here! Wink

Of course, remember, for many years, there was a large lot adjacent to the Lincoln Tunnel helix in Weehawken (until 1966, the NYS&W's Susquehanna Transfer station was in the helix's shadow); I believe this was once used for commuter parking.

Too, I know that this lot has been used by NJT to store buses between rush hours, for many years.

Also, I well recall all the years when suburban buses parked beneath the approach ramps to the PABT; I'm wondering if buses still lay over here, during off-peak hours (I have not been in the city since I retired back in 2003)

Going way back, I also remember the lot behind the church just outside the PABT, where RED & TAN buses used to be parked (I know this lot has long since been built over)

I cannot even begin to fathom how astronomical the real estate prices are in that general area today........

"NYO"

{"RIDE THE RED & TAN LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another time, another world........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154497

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156409

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That same corner, 10th Avenue and 40th Street, today…
Google Earth Link
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

Google Earth Link

Oops, the link didn’t come thru…
But you can go to Google Earth, type in the location, then click on Street View, and see it.
And while you’re at it, you can manipulate the camera to turn, and zoom, and even move to other locations….that should keep you busy for a while…
Enjoy!🙂
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
traildriver wrote:

Google Earth Link

Oops, the link didn’t come thru…
But you can go to Google Earth, type in the location, then click on Street View, and see it.
And while you’re at it, you can manipulate the camera to turn, and zoom, and even move to other locations….that should keep you busy for a while…
Enjoy!🙂

traildriver:

All I can say is "MAN! Things have REALLY changed in the area, since Your's Truly retired in 2004!" Shocked Shocked

One building that forever stands out in my mind, approaching the "Port-of-Authority", from the time I was a kid and when I retired, is the blue "McGraw-Hill" building.

To this day, I cannot think of the PABT without thinking of "the blue skyscraper", as I called it as a kid!) Wink

"NYO"

["NEW YORK-PORT AUTH. TERM."]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......now I'm wondering where PS buses lay over in New York in-between the AM and PM rushes.

For the life of me, I cannot seeing any PS/TNJ buses laying over under the approach ramps, or nearby, back in the day.........

"NYO"

["165 NEW YORK"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this 1976 photo of PS/TNJ suburban Old Looks parked (off-street) at 41st. & 10th (This would have been just prior to the Old Looks being replaced by the new NJDOT Flex New Looks).........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156469

['TNJ"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caption of this 1976 photo (showing a chartered PS/TNJ Old Look) says that this photo was taken at the "GREYHOUND TERMINAL" (no other location info given)

A 4104 can just be glimpsed in the background.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156470

["L764"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a timeless, nostalgic early/mid-1960's photo of ex-ASV "D900" working a charter on Staten Island (this might have been a fan excursion)

To look at this "run-of-the-mill" diesel bus, one would never guess that it was once an experimental dual-powered trolley bus, with poles atop the roof........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154498

(coiurtesy: nycsubway.org)

["D900"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: