BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSNJ: the last years........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all trolleybus overhead, ASV wires could get quite complex at junctions, especially in areas where streetcars also ran.

This photo (no location given) shows one of the older, front-engined YELLOWS negotiating a complex tangle of overhead........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_012_newark_bv.htm

(courtesy: trolleybuses.net)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an early publicity shot of ASV #9153 (note no PS nose wings as yet) showing the mobility advantage that ASV's had over rail-bound streetcars (note new overhead and cobblestoned streetcar rails)

Even so, the poles on ASV's could swing out no more than twelve feet from the overhead........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_9153_irm_ss.htm

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Like all trolleybus overhead, ASV wires could get quite complex at junctions, especially in areas where streetcars also ran.

This photo (no location given) shows one of the older, front-engined YELLOWS negotiating a complex tangle of overhead........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_012_newark_bv.htm

---
One of the complexities of this photo is positive and negative wires crossing without short circuits. I think you are seeing some overhead devices that provided a rigid dead section while the current is passed above the rigid dead section.
---
Also noteworthy in this photo is the painted line on the street. I could be wrong, but center lines were rare, and even now the Town of Hempstead is reluctant to add them because of the expense. In Nassau County, a painted center line usually indicates a county (not town) road.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

I was thinking much the same thing, regarding the positive and negative ASV wires at complex junctions; there were a number of complex junctions/"splits" on the ASV routes serving the HUDSON and ESSEX Divisions.

One busy junction in particular that was the bane of many ASV drivers was at "The Arch" in Elizabeth (southbound), passing under the elevated CRRNJ main line.

Here, was a switch, under which passed ASV's of the "#49" and the "#11"; one set of wires went straight for the #49, while other set of wires turned the corner for "#11" coaches.

Drivers would load passengers at W. Grand Street, and, if you were a driver on a "#49", you had to get a good running start, and then coast (uphill!) through the switch..........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare these two photos snapped at Penn Station, Newark, taken about a decade part (1936/1946)

In the first photo, we see a one-man open car (these unique cars were built at PS's Plank Road shops); in the second photo, a newly-repainted ASV........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118340

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_9273_newark_bv.htm

(photos courtesy of: nycsubway.org/trolleybuses.net)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, veteran PS men had their own nicknames for certain buses........

The distinctive front-engine ASV's were (for reasons unknown to me) known as "CHINA CLIPPERS"

The parlor coaches (earliest were YELLOW, later GM) were dubbed "CONTINENTALS", due to their appearance and their interiors (QUITE elegant, compared to the transit buses of the day)

In fact, one of the parlor jobs (#B-5000) was for the exclusive use of PS's head honcho!

The little FORD buses were dubbed "ICEBOXES" and "FRIGIDAIRES", as, even with the heat at full blast, the driver and the passengers up front were always cold during the winter months.

PS also rostered a number of small CHEVROLET buses in the later 1930's and 1940's; these buses were known by PS men as "RATTLERS"; drivers HATED these buses, because they rattled so much, most drivers went home at the end of the day with a pounding headache (the drivers also did not like that they had to reach behind them to manipulate the long lever that operated the doors)

Back in the days when PS still rostered a large number of front-engine buses, most drivers either wore boots or shoes with very thick soles, as the heat generated by the motor (coupled with the fact that these buses had aluminum foot plates) was quite terrific, and NOT at all pleasant during the hot, humid, New Jersey summers.

It is NO WONDER, then, that those "rough-'n-tumble" old timers in transit were often known as "IRON MEN".....(!!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of PS "veterans".......

Back in 1974/1975* (as a senior commuting to/from classes) I became friendly with an old PS "veteran", a middle-aged Italian guy named "Angelo" (he then drove the "#21", which I rode out of Hoboken each afternoon)

When he saw I was into buses, he'd often tell me stories of "the old days"; he began running on the "#44" out of the UNION CITY garage/car house, not long before the last HUDSON Division streetcars vanished in 1949.

He also told me some interesting stories about how even the mighty PS was brought to a standstill by the Blizzard of 1947, and seeing stranded PS buses and streetcars bumper-to-bumper on many streets.

It was from Angelo that I learned about "hot rods" and "dogs"; "hot rods" were buses that were peppy performers, and, indeed, had a lot of "get-up-and-go".

"Dogs", on the other hand, literally, "dragged their tails", and were sluggish performers.

Fishbowl "Z-338" (I remember this bus well) was a bus Angelo loathed with a passion, because, no matter what the TNJ guys did while in the garage, the bus literally could do no more than crawl up even the slightest grade.

From other ex-PSNJ drivers I knew, I heard further interesting" insider's tales" (and, also, netted a few nice pieces of assorted PS memorabilia as well, in the bargain!)

*By 1974, Old Looks were nowhere to be seen at the UNION CITY garage; Fishbowls had taken over the local routes (I do recall seeing "parlor" jobs at UNION CITY as well); NJT closed the huge facility in the early 1990's, and, today, it still appears much as it did decades ago, now used as a DPW facility.

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
I did not ride the Cortelyou Road trackless trolleys, but I did ride the St.Louis Car Company coaches on other Brooklyn lines. Nor did I ride the PSCT All-Service Vehicles. However, please notice the difference in retrievers.
---
One purpose of the spring-loaded retriever is to catch the pole if it gets off the wire and heads to major entanglement. At the end of a run, an operator could easily use the rope to bring each pole down to the hook and secure it.
---
The All-Service Vehicles seem to have the more advanced (yet older!) system of a motorized pull down of the poles into slots that work as clips. That is, a driver who reaches the end of wire, probably could push a button from his seat and the motored retrievers would lower the poles to the roof. Whether there would be overhead pans to guide them to the wires when going up is a question.
---
I was in Washington, D.C., when D.C. Transit installed motorized retrievers about 1958. Previously, the pit change (as on North Capitol Street) needed two men, one beneath the pavement, one on the street. The guy on the street would work the pole. With the motorized retriever, the PCC operator flipped a switch, and the pole was hauled down and locked, somewhat as on an ASV. I am fairly certain that northbound cars released their poles slowly and an overhead inverted V guided them onto the wire. Not positive about that, as I was inside the car as a passenger.
---
Maybe there is a YouTube video of poles going up or down on Boston's Silver Line.

Joe:

Note the the overhead pans in this photo of experimental PS diesel-electric ASV "D900" at the Bell St. loop in Montclair.

The specially-erected overhead used the pans to guide the trolley poles onto the wires.

It is ironic that PS again erected ASV overhead, just two years after ASV service was discontinued in favor of diesel buses.

As I have mentioned elsewhere here, had the City of Newark paid for the paving over of the City Subway, the route would have become an ASV "busway".

Overhead pans would have been used at the top of the subway-surface line ramps, to guide the poles of inbound coaches onto the wires.

Though this experiment was successful, PS decided not to use its own funds to pave over the City Subway, and, instead, looked for modern, second-hand streetcars to replace the old PS cars.

After this experiment, "D900" was sent to Plank Road shops, where all electrical gear was removed, and it reverted back to a conventional diesel bus.

For some years, it operated on the "#29" out of the BELL ST. barn; by 1960, however, the bus was transferred to the HUDSON Division, and operated out of the GREENVILLE garage until it was retired........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_gm_d900_bellstloop_02_1950_pcbv.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a rear view of experimental ASV "D900" at the Bell St. loop (Montclair), with a 2600 series "Compromise" roof car on the left (1950).......

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_gm_d900_bellstloop_01_1950_pcbv.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, indeed, quite interesting to note that the ASV was developed by GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK in collaboration with PSNJ engineers.

Had the City of Newark, circa-1950, footed the bill for the paving over of the City Subway, GM would have, again, been involved with ASV's, this time building a new generation of modern, dual-powered trolley buses, using the then-popular 4509 as a basis for the new diesel-electric vehicles........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_builderphoto_1935_07_notlamebrain.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is "D900" again, now operating a "straight" diesel bus, wearing the new PS Old Look scheme of the early/mid-1960's, running on a charter (perhaps a fan trip?) at Grant City, Staten Island (check out those sharp 1950's autos parked at the curb!)

This paint scheme was not only the second paint job worn by the once-unique "D900", but also, its last........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1498

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.......

When PS was contemplating using ASV's in the City Subway in place of streetcars in 1949 (a number of meetings were held at Newark's City Hall), it was clear that the "new generation" of ASV's would ONLY operate on the ESSEX Division, and, even there, only operate on the "#7 CITY SUBWAY", as well as the "#21", "#23", and "#29" subway-surface lines.

The "#23 CENTRAL" had already been converted to buses in December, 1947, but would have become an ASV line, had plans to convert the Subway to ASV operation gone through.

As the town fathers of "on line" communities made it clear they did not want neither streetcar rail OR overhead wires along their main thoroughfares, the new dual-powered GM buses would have only used overhead wires within the limits of the Subway itself.

Once the "new generation" trolley buses left the subway exit ramps in Newark (Warren St., Norfolk St., Bloomfield Avenue), the poles would have come down, locked into place, and then the coaches would have proceeded along their respective routes as regular diesel buses.

Had ASV's replaced streetcars in the City Subway, it would have been quite interesting to see the different types of coaches used over the years, through modernization and fleet upgrading.

IMHO, I think that NJT would, nowadays, be using (dual powered. of course) trolley buses of the same general style as those currently in use in Philadelpia and Boston........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting "why?" regarding plans for a new postwar ASV fleet in Newark, is "why" PS did not contemplate the paving over the City Subway while they still operated ASV's?

On the subway-surface routes then in operation, all that, basically, would have needed to be done was the installation of a second wire along the car lines.

As was the case with the streetcars, PS did not have to purchase power from an outside utility, as it, of course, generated its own, so there would not have been the added expense of PS purchasing power from an "outside" source.

As I've mentioned earlier, town fathers along the line would have been quite happy with new-generation ASV's, as there would no longer be rails in their streets, nor overhead wires up above, as wires only would have been used within the limits of the Subway itself......

"NYO"

On a personal note, here:

I grew up with the PCC's in the Subway, and, because of them, developed a strong love and interest in streetcars, interurbans, and other electric railways.

However, as much as I loved the PCC's, part of me wishes that PS had actually converted the City Subway to ASV; as I have never liked the HBLR-type light rail units that now provide the service (I've dubbed them "Baby Belugas"!).....it would be more interesting (at least to Your's Truly) to see trolley coaches in use in what once was the "City Subway" instead of the bulky, boxy "Baby Beluga" light rail units of today.

For me, the "City Subway", which I've loved since my early childhood, simply ceased to exist when the PCC's departed.Crying or Very sad

However, I STILL have many, many happy memories of the long-gone "good ol' days" when the PCC's still were in charge of the Subway......how highly I value those memories today! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Subway Buses"........

When the PS terminal in Newark was still in use, PSNJ did, indeed, operate what I long ago termed "subway buses"; these, of course, were the ASV's, and later, the diesel buses, that served the lower level of the Terminal.

The trolleybus/streetcar tunnel portal of the Harvard Square facility in Boston, was, in years past, remarkably identical to the portal leading to the Cedar St. Subway (and the lower level of the PS terminal) in Newark, before rebuilding.

Boston's MTA streetcars used this portal until 1958; thereafter, trolley buses operated (this continues today)

Beginning in the early 1960's, some MTA diesel bus routes also began using the underground Harvard Square tunnel and station; however, their use underground was limited, because of the diesel fumes, especially in humid weather........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unique to Baltimore's BTC was #2501; this YELLOW was unique in that it was the ONLY dual-powered ASV to not operate for PSNJ.

In 1947, this bus was renumbered and rebuilt as a "straight" trolley bus; interestingly, in just the opposite scenario, PSNJ's experimental #D900 was later rebuilt into a diesel coach, after "under wire" experiments ended........

http://www.trolleybuses.net/bal/htm/usa_h_bal_yellow_2501_jt.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: