BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Parks_Commission_People_Mover
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good photos on this page......

www.tomsbuspage.ca/NPC.htm

(courtesy: WEGO page)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts on "The Hound"........

I always find it ironic, that, as GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS were staunch competitors in the intercity bus business, that, eventually, "THE HOUND", eventually, swallowed up "BIG RED".

One only need to read up on this history of these two companies, and they will soon discover that, certainly, neither company was a "slouch"; bigger and better seemed to pretty much be the motto for the two operators, back in the heyday of intercity bus travel.

Had GM continued to build "Big Boy" intercity coaches through the 1970's and beyond, it would have been interesting, to say the least, what the GREYHOUND fleet might have looked like in later years.

Too, I also still find it interesting how, after the "Buffalos" and early MCI coaches, that GREYHOUND never again operated any two-axle coaches.

Regarding veteran GREYHOUND mechanics, I often wonder at how they adapted to now working on EAGLES, which, of course, was NOT in their "realm".......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Random thoughts on "The Hound"........

I always find it ironic, that, as GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS were staunch competitors in the intercity bus business, that, eventually, "THE HOUND", eventually, swallowed up "BIG RED".

One only need to read up on this history of these two companies, and they will soon discover that, certainly, neither company was a "slouch"; bigger and better seemed to pretty much be the motto for the two operators, back in the heyday of intercity bus travel.

Had GM continued to build "Big Boy" intercity coaches through the 1970's and beyond, it would have been interesting, to say the least, what the GREYHOUND fleet might have looked like in later years.

Too, I also still find it interesting how, after the "Buffalos" and early MCI coaches, that GREYHOUND never again operated any four-axle coaches.

Regarding veteran GREYHOUND mechanics, I often wonder at how they adapted to now working on EAGLES, which, of course, was NOT in their "realm".......

"NYO"

GM did build the 'buffalo's' thru the '70's...the last one's built, were built in 1980.

What four axle coach did Greyhound ever operate? Continental Trailways only ran the four Super Golden Eagles for a few years...

The Eagle's differed from the MCI's and GM's primarily in their Torsilastic suspension, rather than air bags. The Detroit Diesel engines and Allison transmission's were the same...
There were other differences for sure, but any competant bus mechanic would be able to handle them...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

MY error; I meant TWO-axle coaches, NOT FOUR-axle(!!) Very Happy

(However, I would not have minded seeing, even if only in an artist's rendition, of a four-axle SCENICRUISER!) Shocked

After "Big Red" disappeared, I always thought it a bit "odd", seeing an EAGLE in "Hound" livery; a few decades back, NJT had EAGLES for some years (I always said I was going to take at least one ride, but never did); I don't think NJT was all that enamored with them, as they weren't in NJT service all that long.

Speaking of axles, it would have been quite interesting to see GREYHOUND operating a fleet of "GOLDEN CHARIOTS"; one of the rarest toy buses I have is a Japanese tin friction version of what, clearly, is representing the "GOLDEN CHARIOT". Wink ....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a 1955 GREYHOUND tt in my collection......

"TIME SAVING EXPRESS SERVICE VIA THE NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE BETWEEN NEW YORK AND PHILADELPHIA"

"FEATURING 3 GREAT AIR-RIDE BUSES"

"THE GOLDEN CHARIOT" (the only one of its kind in the world)

"THE SENSATIONAL NEW SCENICRUISER"

"THE MODERN "HIGHWAY TRAVELER"

There is, also, in the footnotes, a small "A" within a circle denoting: "The Golden Chariot equipment normally assigned to these runs"

New York (GREYHOUND) terminals were at W. 50th St. and, also, at W. 34th St. (opposite the old Pennsylvania Station).......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

After "Big Red" disappeared, I always thought it a bit "odd", seeing an EAGLE in "Hound" livery;

"NYO"

Yes...me, too!
The closest I saw prior to Greyhound acquiring CTS and Eagle, were the blue and white SKGL Eagles with the dog and Santa Fe cross logo's on their sides...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Too bad that the "Golden Chariot" concept did not catch on; I always thought of the type as a "three axle "Highway Traveler"! Wink

IMHO, I think that TRAILWAYS prestigious "5 Star" service (complete with red carpet!) was about the only time that "Big Red" outdid "The Hound".

I remember reading somewhere, long ago, where a retired GREYHOUND driver, recalling the halcyon days, was quoted as saying: "Hell, back in those days, they had that company running like a fine Swiss watch!"

I think that statement truly says it all! Very Happy

It never ceases to amaze Your's Truly of how this once-great empire has fallen as far from glory as it has; changing demographics, changing economics, shifting travel patterns.........nothing, it seems, has been conducive to (what remains) of the once-vast GREYHOUND empire......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........it would be interesting to see GREYHOUND rosters (on an annual basis) from, say, 1950 through the present.

In this way, we could see the many changes over the years within the GREYHOUND fleet; makes and models of buses, the number of buses in the fleet, etc.

I, personally, have long, long associated the MCI's with GREYHOUND; so much, in fact, that, to this very day, I refer to NJT's MCI fleet as "Jersey Hounds" Wink

I'm also curious to know if GREYHOUND ever operated VAN HOOLS.

With the MCI's, it seemed as though these buses followed in the footsteps of the GM's; like the GM's before them, the MCI's became the backbone of the GREYHOUND fleet; I know PREVOST coaches were also operated by the carrier, as well as the ex-TRAILWAYS Eagles........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Greyhound_USA
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!!!! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the hit classic 1934 Claudette Colbert/Clark Gable comedy "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT" (IMHO, the BEST "Hound" picture of them all!) Very Happy .........

I've long been curious as to what highways/roads/routes the buses in the film would have used (Colbert's character, "Ellie Andrews", was heading from Miami to New York)

After leaving Miami, there was a brief rest stop; early the next morning, the bus had arrived at Jacksonville.

Have long been curious as to what other stops would have been made by "ATLANTIC GREYHOUND" buses, between Miami and New York, in the 1930's.

I'm thinking of "busier" stops (such as Birmingham, Atlanta, DC, Philadelphia, etc.), as well as small-town depots.

Might there have been a stop at Journal Square, at the time of the film (1934)?

With the Lincoln Tunnel still under construction, the buses would have used the Holland Tunnel to reach New York.

Appreciate any info.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pretty much followed the “Dixie Highway” (US-1), all the way...
Look at your oldest Greyhound TT for the schedule...

Of course, the movie was shot in California...recall them waiting for an SP freight train carrying hoboes at a crossing in one scene?😉
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
They pretty much followed the “Dixie Highway” (US-1), all the way...
Look at your oldest Greyhound TT for the schedule...

Of course, the movie was shot in California...recall them waiting for an SP freight train carrying hoboes at a crossing in one scene?😉

traildriver:

Thanks! Wink

I would also guess that the "ATLANTIC GREYHOUND" buses followed the Lincoln Highway, as the neared Jersey City and the Holland Tunnel.

I have to look through my TT's later on; however, I think the oldest I have at present dates to about 1942; if I have any "ATLANTIC GREYHOUND" TT's, I think they would be 1950's.....I gotta give a "look see" later on..... Wink

"NYO"

BTW:

If the movie was shot in California, then I guess that the bus featured for exterior scenes had to be "dolled up" to pass as an "ATLANTIC GREYHOUND"?

Terminal interiors, then, might have been in Los Angeles, close to the studios? (looked too authentic to be a set, at least to me); recall, too, the scene where Clark Gable throws bundles of newspapers out onto the platform through the bus window; another bus is just behind, signed "SPECIAL"

It wss interesting, too, to see how the bus companies of that day were emulating the railroads, with station dispatchers calling out "ALL ABOARD!" in the best railroad tradition; look closely at the fellow calling out the "Night Bus" departure at "Jacksonville", and you can read his cap badge: "DISPATCHER".......

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right...they must have filmed some of the bus scene's at least, in their proper locales...other wise, the buses might have been Pacific Greyhound Lines, instead of Atlantic.

Atlantic Greyhound's routes at that time extended from Jacksonville to Richmond. South of Jacksonville they pooled with Florida Motor Lines, which did not become part of Greyhound until much later...maybe 1950?
North of Richmond to DC, they pooled with Richmond Greyhound Lines, and from DC to New York with Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines.

US-1 is called many different names, depending on where you are...it is the Dixie Highway passing my neighborhood, while it is Tonnelle Avenue (or is it Broad Avenue?), in yours... Confused

The old Lincoln Highway runs concurrently with US-1, from Jersey City until City Line in Philadelphia, where it branches off to follow US-30 across most of the country...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 23 of 73

Jump to: