BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I also recall seeing a photo taken of one of the preserved trolleybuses at the Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum at Sandoft (Great Britain) which, I believe, was from a European system.
'
Its design hinted at bi-level design, which, interestingly, would have made for a " 'lectric Scenicruiser wannabee"..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Check out this 1930's KENWORTH "split level" rescued from oblivion......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/341992165427122860/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....now, here we get an idea of what that streamlined KENWORTH looked like in its glory days..... Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/814236807605430706/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BEHOLD THE BEHEMOTH.....(!!) Shocked Shocked

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/490118371926490168
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CAUTION! BUS SWINGS WIDE ON TURNS!" Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/349451252323114999/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once SCEINCUISER Production stopped, GREYHOUND would never again order a new "bilevel" bus (with the possible exception of the "Buffalo", which I've long referred to as the "Scenicruiser Jr."

As I've mused earlier here, it would have been quite interesting if SCENICRUISER production had continued for more than two years, possibly running for as long as EAGLE production.

What sort of changes/refinements/updates to the " 'Cruiser" might have taken place, had SCENICRUISER production continued on through the 1960's and 1970's?

Today, of course, in 2022, nearly 70 years after the SCENICRUISER made its revenue-service debut in 1954, we can only speculate.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Once SCEINCUISER Production stopped, GREYHOUND would never again order a new "bilevel" bus (with the possible exception of the "Buffalo", which I've long referred to as the "Scenicruiser Jr."

As I've mused earlier here, it would have been quite interesting if SCENICRUISER production had continued for more than two years, possibly running for as long as EAGLE production.

What sort of changes/refinements/updates to the " 'Cruiser" might have taken place, had SCENICRUISER production continued on through the 1960's and 1970's?

Today, of course, in 2022, nearly 70 years after the SCENICRUISER made its revenue-service debut in 1954, we can only speculate.......

"NYO"

Well, we already know part of the answer...
In 1961 and 1962, the entire Scenicruiser fleet was rebuilt into so-called "Super Scenicruiser's", the biggest improvement was the replacement of the ill-fated dual 4-71 Detroit Diesel's by the newly introduced 8v-71. There were several other improvements mechanically to make the coaches more reliable. In addition, the interiror's were fully refurbished, and a new livery on the outside was introduced featuring the gold colored Scotchlite reflective stripes.

If newbuild's were ordered, one can assume they would echo the lines of the PD-4106, as the original shared the style of the PD-4104.
Speculating further into the future, one can imagine Scenicruiser replacements growing five feet longer, a half foot wider, and a foot taller, as these became the dimensions of the 1990's.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, greatly appreciate your input! Wink

Yes, I can see a "new/updated" SCENICRUISER more along the angular lines of the 4106; with the "Bisons" being the last GM buses that GREYHOUND would ever purchase, one cannot help but wonder if, perhaps, at some point, MCI might have dabbled in reviving the bilevel design of the SCENICRUISER......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, greatly appreciate your input! Wink

Yes, I can see a "new/updated" SCENICRUISER more along the angular lines of the 4106; with the "Bisons" being the last GM buses that GREYHOUND would ever purchase, one cannot help but wonder if, perhaps, at some point, MCI might have dabbled in reviving the bilevel design of the SCENICRUISER......

"NYO"

Well, you did get the appearance of a "tri-level" design, with the MC-6 Supercruiser...even though the entire aisle was on one level...only the roof had the two rises, although the seats in the rear half were elevated about a foot or so, with a step up from the aisle.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the MC-6 was "ugly", and did not offer the great forward upper level view that was unique to the Scenicruiser. MCI simply did not have the design talent that General Motors had.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
IMHO, the MC-6 was "ugly", and did not offer the great forward upper level view that was unique to the Scenicruiser. MCI simply did not have the design talent that General Motors had.

traildriver:

Indeed, the "6" WAS indeed quite ugly m(can't deny that!), but, nonetheless, had more "character" than one of today's oversized milk cartons/mutated insects!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The "7", I think you will agree, was a handsome-looking bus, that seemed to exude an air of both power and asthetic appeal....... Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The "7", I think you will agree, was a handsome-looking bus, that seemed to exude an air of both power and asthetic appeal....... Wink

"NYO"

Sorry, but I cannot agree with that. If you compare the MC-7 with the MC-6, well, maybe. But if you compare the -7 with a PD-4903, the GM puts the MCI to shame. The lines on the GM just seem to flow, and are cohesive. The MCI lines are awkward, disjointed, and especially that "blind spot" in the center, where there is no window, just poor, in my humble opinion. That design started with the first MC-1, and continued on thru all MCI's thru the MC-8. They finally eliminated it during the last year of MC-8 production before the MC-9 came out...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

"NYO"

Sorry, but I cannot agree with that. If you compare the MC-7 with the MC-6, well, maybe. But if you compare the -7 with a PD-4903, the GM puts the MCI to shame. The lines on the GM just seem to flow, and are cohesive. The MCI lines are awkward, disjointed, and especially that "blind spot" in the center, where there is no window, just poor, in my humble opinion. That design started with the first MC-1, and continued on thru all MCI's thru the MC-8. They finally eliminated it during the last year of MC-8 production before the MC-9 came out...

traildriver:

Agreed; I was only referring to how the "7" was not as ugly as the "6", and, therefore COULD be called (in some sense) "attractive".

The GM highway coaches, of course, are beyond reproach; you are correct......their lines indeed DID "flow" and make for a much more attractive coach than an MCI.

I have to admit, though, those earlier MCI's are far more pleasing in appearance (at least to Your's Truly) than those modern coaches that seem quite "insectoid" in appearance.....man, I HATE those buses!!!!!! Razz

I'll take a Flex CLIPPER, a SCENICRUISER, a 4104, or a "Bison" anyday........ Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......am wondering if any retired GREYHOUND drivers these days ever get together for, say a reunion, every year or so, to "re-connect" and recall the old days On The Road.

Sadly, virtually of the drivers who could have recalled the long-ago "glory days" of GREYHOUND at its peak, when SCENICRUISERS and 4104's ruled our highways have long since "retired" to that big depot in the sky (may they RIP)

This is why I believe the memories of the proud drivers who once piloted their sleek diesel-driven steeds across the nation indeed deserve to be remembered, as much as the buses they drove are today, by historians and enthusiasts.

Theirs is a legacy far too rich to allow to evaporate into the mists of American transportation history.......

"NYO"

["Sun Shine Limited"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1961, the lovely Miss Connie Francis (of Newark!) put Ft. Lauderdale on the map with her signature tune "Where The Boys Are" (from her film of the same name); this made me think of what services GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS were then offering to that city.

Were SCENICRUISERS part of the Ft. Lauderdale picture, back then??

4104's?

Eagles?

Also, curious as to where the nearest bus station was; was it located in Ft. Lauderdale, or in a neighboring town?

One highly-knowledgeable gentleman who posts here regularly (yes, traildriver, I'm referring to you!) I'm sure can share some interesting details and facts on this one...... Wink

"NYO"

PS:

Thank you in advance for any info! Very Happy

["Ft. Lauderdale"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 36 of 73

Jump to: