BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Service With A Smile"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's ex-DL&W heavyweight Pullman "SCENIC FALLS" in the Hoboken yards, 1964........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/scfallsp.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Youngstown, Ohio, 1960)

This handsome, two-tone ERIE lightweight sleeper (seen here coupled to a "BANGOR & AROOSTOCK car) indeed makes quite a contrast to the old heavyweight sleepers that were still on both the ERIE and DL&W rosters.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar-pullman.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......the story of the Pullman porter is no less important than any other struggle for civil rights in the American labor movement....."

"......Larry Tye reconstructs the lost world of the Pullman porter and the vital cultural, political, and economic roles he played as forerunner of the modern black middle class......"

To think that, until books on the Pullman porters (finally) began to be published, their "larger than life" stories remained largely untold; today, we are the richer for hearing these fascinating stories, via the printed word.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Regarding AMTRAK equipment, once the last of the time-honored "AMFLEET" cars disappears from the roster, the last vestige of "classic" AMTRAK will have vanished; their distinctive tubular design (like the original "METEROLINER" MU trainsets) seemed a perfect fit for the tight confines of the Hudson River tunnels.

One of the AMTRAK sleeping car attendants ("James", ex-PRR porter) I talked with many years ago, told me his favorite cars were the "Heritage" cars (I was right there with him on that!")

I still remember him telling saying: "It ain't gonna be the same when they pull all these old cars out of service."

Then he grinned, and added "I'll be long retired by that time, so I ain't gonna worry!" Very Happy

One thing that HAD to have made porter's jobs a bit easier was the retirement of the classic heavyweight "open section" Pullmans; though an agile porter could make up a berth in the blink of an eye, I'm sure that they didn't mind NOT grappling with berths!

Speaking of open-section Pullmans, oddly enough, in the early 1960's, the E-L still had several old open-section Pullmans on the revenue roster, eight in all,

These hulking veterans were both ex-DL&W and ERIE Pullmans (some were relettered "ERIE-LACKAWANNA"), and were of different configurations.

They saw service at least into 1964.

Just imagine how the dedicated porters aboard those cars, so long ago, made their seemingly never-ending work look so easy.........

"NYO"

NYO-
You may be surprised (or not) to know that not too far from home, you can still experience old fashioned section sleeping cars today....

https://www.seat61.com/images/canadian-sections1-large.jpg

https://www.seat61.com/images/canadian-sections2-large.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&O "Slumbercoach" handout.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-slumber-f.gif

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pullman Company pass from 1916...........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/chd-1916F-gga.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Nice to know that there is someplace where you can STILL experience rail travel aboard one of those classic open-section Pullmans, seen in countless vintage movies and television shows (including "The Honeymooners"!) Very Happy

Too, recall "LIONEL", in its heyday, labeled virtually every piece of passenger rolling stock "PULLMAN"; also, remember the little porter figures (lead, cast metal, etc.) that were once made in profusion, to use with the toy trains of that era.

I have one in my collection, whom I named "Jim", that Mom bought for me for a quarter at a local second-hand store, back in 1962; clearly 1930's vintage!Very Happy

"Jim" was always on hand when I ran my LIONEL and HO passenger trains, as a youngster; today, he, and a number of his "brothers" are now proud members of my collection...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pullmans/sleepers, back in the day, virtually "went anywhere and everywhere".......

Note this E-L sleeper (still lettered "LACKAWANNA"), seen here at Atlanta, Ga., in 1964.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/dlw-chen-lba.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-L lightweight sleeper "JAMES GORE KING" at Hoboken, circa-1964.

It appears the car seen on the extreme left is an NKP car; until about 1965, NKP Pullmans ran to the Hoboken terminal on the E-L, via the NKP connection at Buffalo.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/el-puljgk-ajh.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double take???? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

After WW2, the PRR, which participated in a number of interline services connecting western and southwestern cities to the Eastern seaboard rostered a number of Pullmans painted in the schemes of connecting roads.

For example, you'd see streamlined PRR Pullmans painted in full UP colors, but bearing "PENNSYLVANIA" lettering.

There were also PRR sleepers (in Tuscan) lettered for the N&W.

Sure made train-watching a most exciting and enjoyable experience, back in the day.....

"NYO"

Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, check out this 1960's photo of an ACL coach, painted in IC colors*.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-c1123.jpg

I also remember seeing a 1960's photo of an ex-DLW streamline sleeper, painted in IC paint, but, near the car end, carrying DL&W markings! Shocked
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite example of that was the PRR 10-6 Pullman, "Silver Rapids", in fluted stainless steel, lettered in bold letters: "California Zephyr", with smaller "Pullman" and "PRR" reporting marks. This CZ car was PRR's contribution to the coast to coast thru New York-Oakland sleeper pool. The thru car from the CZ alternated days of operation east of Chicago, on the Pennsy one day, and the New York Central the next day. NYC did not have a CZ schemed car, but it had an "Overland Route" themed car as its contribution to the pool. West of Chicago, the thru cars also alternated via the CZ, or Overland Limited. As a result, it was strange to see on some days a PRR car in New York's Grand Central Terminal, or a NYC car in Penn Station....

"NYO"

Wink[/quote] Smile

Last edited by traildriver on Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having problems of late, posting...after I click submit, I get some sort of error message 'debug mode', and if I try to re enter, I get duplicate posts...what is going on?

Last edited by traildriver on Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car, Silver Rapids, was 'perfectly' named...
All CZ cars had "Silver" as a prefix, and most PRR 10-6 sleepers, had "Rapids" as a suffix... Cool
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
On a related note, check out this 1960's photo of an ACL coach, painted in IC colors*.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-c1123.jpg

I also remember seeing a 1960's photo of an ex-DLW streamline sleeper, painted in IC paint, but, near the car end, carrying DL&W markings! Shocked
Must be either the City of Miami or the Seminole...both were thru Chicago to Florida trains...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: