BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journal Square Transportation Center/HBLR/PSNJ/Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

You could have knocked me over with a feather, here! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I grew up just several blocks NORTH of this location (13th St., Union City, between Hudson Boulevard and Summit Avenue)

As this was the first photo I'd ever seen of this location during the ASV yars, I admit that it threw me a bit; however, when I looked again (after reading your post), I was FLOORED!!! Shocked

My Dad was a truck diver for nearly 40 years, and was often at the Teamster's Building, and Mom and I often walked down with him; just below, this building, I remember an old nightclub that still had a 1940's vintage electric sign outside.

This was the old "HI-DE-HO" club, which my folks recalled.

I have not been down this way for maybe 35 years; I still can remember one of the old circular PS "BUS sTATION" signs, still affixed to an old line pole, back in the 70's (this one showed an ASV)

If that photo was taken about 1940, my folks would have only been married for five years, and my two brothers would have been four and two!

My uncle (Dad's brother) operated a GULF station for many years, opposite CATTANI's liquors on Central Avenue.

Dad also drove an ice truck for many years; when I was growing up, he drove for "C.F. MALANKA", whose garage was on Bergenline Avenue.

Back in the 60's, PS had three local bus routes on Summit Avenue in Union City:

"#16" ("EXCHANGE PLACE)

"#17" (HOBOKEN/HUDSON PLACE)

"#124" (JSQ-HACKENSACK)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving over to Bergen County (PSNJ's BERGEN Division), this photo depicts Palisades Junction, during an off-peak hour (I have lived no more than a ten-minute walk from this location for over 40 years)

Seen here is an inbound "HUDSON RIVER" line car, boarding passengers bound for the 125th St. Ferry terminal at Edgewater (about a five minute ride from the Junction)

The tracks branching off to the right (north) were used by the "COYTESVILLE", "FORT LEE", "HACKENSACK", and "ENGLEWOOD" lines.

The tracks branching off to the left (south) were used by "PALISADE" line cars; this line was the only HUDSON Division route to enter Bergen County; this line connected with the West Shore Ferry at Weehawken.

In 1938, the BERGEN Division became all-bus.

The "PALISADE" line, however, continue to operate until the following month; interestingly, the "PALISADE" line became the "#21", which was an ASV line.

Oddly, none of the BERGEN Division streetcar lines were ever converted to ASV; the "#21"* was the only HUDSON Division ASV route to enter into Bergen County (as a bus line, I commuted on the "#21" for a number of years; NJT changed the number to "#181" in the early 1980's, but the line now only runs between the HBLR station at 48th St. in Union City and the GWB terminal, during rush hours. This was once a very convenient bus line that is no longer available in my area, as it was)

For many years, Hoboken was the southern terminal for the #21/#181.

So heavy was the streetcar traffic at Palisades Junction, that PS built a power station at the site; it is still used today by PSE&G, and looks much as it did during the trolley days.

The bus on the left is heading west on Columbia Avenue; today; this street is a one-way (east) thoroughfare; the westbound side of Columbia Avenue is located where the "lower level" on the right is seen, adjacent to the private homes.

Today, the median strip where the "HUDSON RIVER" streetcars ran is now occupied by trees and utility poles (which look like those seen in this 1937 photo)

The area off to the left of center is now parking for local businesses......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116271

*Here is a rare photo of of an ASV assigned to the "#21", seen beneath the PSNJ elevated at Hoboken:

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_037_newark_bv.htm

(courtesy: nycsubway.org/trolleybuses.net)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 6 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, it is hard to believe that, until the late 1930's, PS streetcars once ran in the shadow of the massive Pulaski Skyway.

Several inter-divisional streetcar lines once crossed the Meadows (between Jersey City and Newark), including:

"WEST SIDE" (this line, interestingly enough, was abandoned in 1921, very early for a PS streetcar line; it operated between Journal Square (Sip Avenue) and FEDERAL shipyard. MU train operation was used on this line during rush hours/shift changes)

"#43 JERSEY CITY" (this was the last inter-divisional (HUDSON/ESSEX Division car lines to operate; it went over to ASV's in 1938)

"# 1 NEWARK" (this line operated between Exchange Place and Newark, and became an ASV route in 1937)

The last semi-convertibles on the PS roster ran between Newark and Jersey City until 1937.........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116967

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At "PALISADES JUNCTION", PS built a wye during the later 1920's/early 1930's, south that single-ended cars could also be assigned to the "PALISADE" line (recall, at this time, a large number of HUDSON Division cars were being rebuilt to single-ended configuration)

In this photo, you can see outdoor electrical gear adjacent to the power house (to this day outdoor electrical gear can be seen)

A small, unassuming building (housing numerous small businesses over the decades) was built on the site of the old wye, many years back.

Even today, you can get a "feel" for the wye that was once located here (today, I can take a brisk little walk from my humble abode to this site, and imagine what it was like, back in the streetcar era).......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116263

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though car #3212 is signed for subway-surface route "#23 CENTRAL", it is on a fan trip, seen here at the entrance to the upper level of the PS terminal at Newark, in 1937.

Note, also, the buses on the left.

The "STOP" arm on #3212 is in the raised position; also, note the destination dash sign, showing multiple destinations.

These unique signs were specially made for use on PS fan trips, as no single PS car line ever served this many cities.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117012

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"De Luxe" car #2294 is seen here between runs at the HARRISON car house, about 1935; the destination sign on the dash of the car on the right ( also seen on the car in the previous photo, and used only on fan trips) is prominent here.

These cars were assigned to the inter-divisional "#43 JERSEY CITY" line; cars were stored/serviced at HARRISON, until 1937, and ROSEVILLE, until conversion to ASV in 1938.

Recall, only ESSEX Division cars carried route number boxes on their roofs........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118314

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of those classic "now it's all gone" scenes.......

Here, a PS subway-surface #29 car is seen passing by an ERIE commuter train (steam-hauled) on the Caldwell Branch (the E-L abandoned passenger service on this line in 1955)

At that time, the ERIE was still running out of its Pavonia Avenue terminal in Jersey City.

Though the #29 cars made their last runs in March, 1952, the venerable ERIE Stillwells (earliest dated back to 1915) remained in service for many more years; the last were not retired until 1974.

Mom and I rode those old ERIE cars many times out of Hoboken when I was growing up.

When the #29 went over to buses, this left ROSEVILLE as the only remaining PS facility to serve streetcars.........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116986

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting interior view at the BELL ST. (Montclair) barn on Bloomfield Avenue, home base to the #29 subway-surface cars until 1952.

This barn had the distinction of bring the only one on the PS system to have switches and curves inside the building itself (the car house angled back at the rear)

This picture would date to about 1940, when PS began repainting the remaining streetcars; note all but one car here is sporting the old "De Luxe" paint.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118324

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bergen & Gates, Jersey City, 1948.

PS #2691 (on the "JACKSON" line) is seen clattering over the cobblestoned special work near the GREENVILLE car house; a new GM is following the old Compromise roof car, which will vanish (along with all other streetcars on the HUDSON Division) the following year.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116279

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, PS used MU trains on certain lines during rush hours.

These lines included:

"FAST LINE" (Newark-Trenton)

"HUDSON RIVER" line (Edgewater-Paterson)

"MONTGOMERY" line (MU service ended on this HUDSON Division route prior to 1920)

On the "HUDSON RIVER" line, 3500 series cars were equipped for MU operation; by the mid-1920's, MU operation on this line ended, and multiple-unit gear was removed from the cars.

In this circa-1920 photo, we see an MU train of 3500's on the "HUDSON RIVER" line; however, note that only one car has its pole raised........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/psct/htm/psct147.htm

(courtesy: davesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another 1940's PSNJ fan trip; note the fellows snapping photos in front of deck roof car #2452, outbound from the West Shore terminal at Wehawken (the massive NYCRR waterfront grain elevator can be glimpsed on the right).

Note the red rooftop running lights on the car; as mentioned previously, all UNION CITY-based cars were required to have these lights as per local ordinance, from about 1940 on.

It is also easy to see that #2452 had originally been a double-ended car........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/psct/htm/psct036.htm

(courtesy: davesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1930's, as more and more PS streetcar lines faced extinction by conversions to ASV's or buses, railfan excursions became more and more popular.

Many of these excursions (such as this one seen here) required several cars to handle the large number of trolley enthusiasts.

SEE: http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/psct/htm/psct009.htm

One of these "Grand Tours" took place in early 1938, and required the use of several cars to handle the 300 railfans/historians from 8 to 80 who turned up for the event (one retired PS motorman traveled all the way from Cleveland, just to attend the excursion!)

The special cars left Penn Station (City Subway), Newark, and then proceeded to travel on all existing streetcar routes in Essex, Hudson, and Bergen counties.

There where many photo stops on this weekend-long extravaganza, as well as visits to car houses and yards......wouldn't you love to travel back in time and experience such an excursion yourself? I know I sure as heck would! Wink

1938 was also the last year that such a far-flung trolley excursion on PS rails was possible.

By the end of 1938, the entire BERGEN Division had been bussed, and a number of HUDSON and ESSEX Division lines had also been converted.

Also, there was no longer any surface track connections between the HUDSON and ESSEX Divisions, with the conversion to ASV of the "#43 JERSEY CITY" line, and the removal of all track connections to Passaic Wharf.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are several nostalgic looks at PS streetcar fantrips during the 1930's......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118331 (no photo location given, here; might have been taken at Passaic Wharf or Plank Road shops)

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118336 *(photo taken near site of the future Franklin Avenue stub terminal)

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118338 ** (taken at the Market St. carhouse, Paterson)

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?118333 *** Though on a fantrip, the car (#3212) is signed "#23 CENTRAL"; this photo was taken at a station stop, along one of the HUDSON/ESSEX Division inter-divisional lines in the Jersey Meadows (note electrified DL&W Morris & Essex ROW on the right)

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another fantrip PS car (on the left) at the busy Paterson/Broadway terminal (Paterson), in 1937 (this was one year before the last BERGEN Division car lines were converted to buses)

Those big YELLOW buses indeed had to be BRUTES to handle! Shocked

When PS took over the North Jersey Rapid Transit about 1925, they installed a new track connection that brought the Jewett interurban cars into this facility (service ended on New Years Eve, 1928)

Paterson/Broadway was also the western terminal of the "HUDSON RIVER" line (note car on left is sporting a "Golden Glow" headlight)

I last visited this terminal in the early 80's, and, remarkably, it had changed little since the streetcar days (I rode the old "#B-1" line, today's "#181", from Palisades Junction, Fort Lee, and returned via the same)

In fact, you could still see bits of the old rails poking through the pavement.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117018

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo is a bit of a mystery, for several reasons**.......

1: Note that #2291 is hailing a trailer.

2: Photo caption dates photo as "1936" (PS discontinued operating trailers the year before, in 1935)

3: PS operated trailers on the busiest Newark routes; note that #2291 is not sporting the usual ESSEX Division route number box on the roof.

Here I can think of two possible answers:

1: #2291 was a car "borrowed" from the HUDSON Division, which did not use route numbers on the cars.

2: This photo was snapped prior to the adoption of route numbers for ESSEX Division routes (circa-1927); streetcar routes received odd numbers, while bus routes received even numbers.

SEE: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117002

** Just did a bit of research; there is an (undated) photo in the Hamm PS trolley book, that shows #2291 as a "shop car", also hauling a trailer, near the 16th Avenue car house in Newark.

Though no date is given, it could have been that either #2291 was transferring a trailer from one car house to another car house/yard, or, was delivering it either to Passaic Wharf (or Plank Road), after trailer operation ended, to await stripping of running gear and electrical hardware, prior to conversion into streetcar/bus waiting shelters......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: