BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EX-NYCTA BUSES IN NEW JERSEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two circa-1955 photos of the PS terminal at Exchange Place (this shed was also used by streetcars until 1949)

Note the buses signed up for the #14, #16, and #1.

Note, also, the overhead sign for the #43, which was a streetcar line until 1938 (this was also the last surface running streetcar in downtown Newark), and was replaced by ASV's that same year, using the lower level of the PS terminal at Newark.

On the far left, you can see the body of a PS streetcar trailer, being used as a waiting room (PS retired their ESSEX Division trailers in 1935; many became waiting shelters, such as this)

Though quite young, I remember that old streetcar body still in place at the terminal (the terminal itself vanished in the 1960's)

I also recall when the #16 (along with the #17) ran up the corner from us in Union City, on Summit Avenue..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4233

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4234

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenville & Lafayette #201, Before and After!

201_lg_415.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.87 KB
 Viewed:  16522 Time(s)

201_lg_415.jpg

img_690.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.93 KB
 Viewed:  16522 Time(s)

img_690.jpg

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here are two circa-1955 photos of the PS terminal at Exchange Place (this shed was also used by streetcars until 1949)

Sorry to contradict a knowledgeable enthusiast, but streetcar service to Exchange Place ended before Pearl Harbor. It was Hoboken terminal that had elevated streetcar service through the war, with routes named Jackson, Union City, and maybe another or two. Dad brought me on Union City to Weehawken, and Jackson to our Winfield Avenue cousins.
---
Someplace around the house, I have a book on the routes that climbed the el to Palisade Avenue and then split. Thirty years ago, I walked around and took slides of where the hilltop section of the el ran. Trolley service to Exchange Place disappeared before the War, so I was thrilled to see paint on the pavement showing where rails would be laid for HBLR.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Thanks for the correction; for some reason, I always make this mistake! Razz

When all HUDSON Division streetcar lines went to buses in August of 1949, four streetcar lines were using the Hoboken El:

"SUMMIT"

"UNION CITY"

"JACKSON"

"OAKLAND"

At the crest of the El (Palisade Avenue) cars of the "UNION CITY" "SUMMIT", and "OAKLAND" lines used switches to bring them down to street level.

Cars of the "JACKSON" line, however, continued on the El......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

HOW THE MIGHTY HATH FALLEN! Sad

I took a photo of #201 in at that same location, back around 1978....a SAD sight, indeed. Sad

I also took a number of other bus photos, that day.

At least, back then, there were STILL some Old Looks in service in my general area....... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two car barns on PS's HUDSON Division were "UNION CITY" (Union City), and "GREENVILLE" (Jersey City)

By the 1940's, along with buses and ASV's, the remaining streetcars were based out of these two facilities.

Due to the heavy demand for power along the Hoboken El (especially at rush hours) a powerhouse (which still stands today, although it has been repurposed) was built next to the outbound El ramp; until 1949, a single-truck line car was also based here, on a siding.

When PS converted the last HUDSON Division car lines to buses, no one thought at the time that travel times would now be increased, as the replacement buses now had to use local streets and encounter traffic lights, instead of utilizing the private ROW of the Elevated..........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two car barns on PS's HUDSON Division were "UNION CITY" (Union City), and "GREENVILLE" (Jersey City)

By the 1940's, along with buses and ASV's, the four remaining streetcars were based out of these two facilities.

Prior to the massive conversions to buses/ASV's in 1937/1938, a number of car lines were based out of these two facilities.

One of these lines was the "PAVONIA" line (converted to buses in 1938) that ran between Union City and the ERIE terminal at the foot of Pavonia Avenue, Jersey City.........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the HUDSON Division streetcars were replaced by buses in 1949, there were, of course, some route changes.

The "OAKLAND" line (then rush hours only) now used Observer Highway, Paterson Avenue, and Paterson Plank Road, instead of the elevated, to reach Palisade Avenue and Congress St.

The "JACKSON" line became two bus routes ( #'s 7 and 8 ), and used a number of streets, between Gates Avenue and the Hoboken terminal:

OBSERVER HIGHWAY

PATERSON PLANK ROAD

CONGRESS ST.

NEW YORK AVENUE (outbound buses)

PALISADE AVENUE (inbound buses)

CENTRAL AVENUE

SIP AVENUE

BERGEN AVENUE

FAIRMOUNT AVENUE

MONTICELLO AVENUE

COMMUNIPAW AVENUE

JACKSON AVENUE

OLD BERGEN ROAD

GATES AVENUE (terminal)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mention must be made of the old "#99S", operated for many years by RED & TAN:

THE HUDSON BUS TRANPORTATION COMPANY, INC.

437 TONNELLE AVENUE

JERSEY CITY, NJ

NJ PHONE: OLdfield 3-2220

NY PHONE: CHelsea 3-0714

I have a 1964 TT (with a Fishbowl on the cover) for this line; the buses departed Platform #64 at the PABT, and served a number of areas:

WEEHAWKEN

UNION CITY

JERSEY CITY*

BAYONNE

STATEN ISLAND

PERTH AMBOY

KEYPORT

KEANSBURG

(*The "99S" also served Journal Square)

Buses departing New York used the Lincoln Tunnel to Weehawken, then on to Palisade Avenue; then south on Palisade Avenue to Beacon Avenue, Baldwin Avenue, Pavonia Avenue, and then to Hudson (now "Kennedy") Boulevard.

Then it was south on Hudson Boulevard to the Bayonne Bridge, crossing to Staten Island, and, from there, on to Keansburg.

The TT notes that only interstate passengers were carried..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time (prior to WW2), several PS streetcar lines served the (Jersey City) Exchange Place terminal.

These included:

"HUDSON" (converted to buses, 1931)

"GROVE" (converted to buses, 1938)

"JOURNAL SQUARE" (converted to buses, 1931)

"NEWARK AVENUE" (converted to buses, 1938)

"MONTGOMERY" (converted to buses, 1937)

"GREENVILLE" (converted to ASV, 1937)

(The above information is from: "THE PUBLIC SERVICE TROLLEY LINES IN NEW JERSEY, Edward Hamm, Jr.

'NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of PS's conversion of the remaining HUDSON Division streetcar lines, 4509's were the newest transit buses in the ever-growing PS fleet.

In the McNulty Jersey City book, there is a 1950 photo showing "Boulevard" buses lined up near the Art Deco waiting shelters, facing south.

You can see here square window Old Looks and a MACK (looks to be a C-45) and, just barely visible, the nose of an elderly front-engined bus, the only one in the photo.

This was probably the only such bus left in the "Boulevard" fleet, or, at best, one of a very few that had been retained for peak hour service.

PS and DE CAMP both still had a number of front-engined buses on the roster, in the early postwar years.

There are several large billboards in this photo (looking northeast), one for the "HOTEL PLAZA"........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of PS's conversion of the remaining HUDSON Division streetcar lines in 1949, 4509's (paired windows) were the newest transit buses in the ever-growing PS fleet.

In the McNulty Jersey City book, there is a 1950 photo showing "Boulevard" buses lined up near the Art Deco waiting shelters, facing south.

You can see here square window Old Looks and a MACK (looks to be a C-45) and, just barely visible, the nose of an elderly front-engined bus, the only one in the photo.

This was probably the only such bus left in the "Boulevard" fleet, or, at best, one of a very few that had been retained for peak hour service.

PS and DE CAMP both still had a number of older front-engined buses on the roster, in the early postwar years.

There are several large billboards in this photo (looking northeast), one for the "HOTEL PLAZA"........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the aforementioned McNulty book on historic Jersey City, there are also other photos have buses in them.

One shows Hudson Boulevard (circa 1949), near 2600 Hudson Boulevard, where Mayor Hague once lived in an upper-story penthouse.

Two "Boulevard" buses are seen; a prewar MACK is heading towards the camera, while an Old Look is seen heading in the opposite direction.

Another photo (taken in 1950) shows Montgomery Street, near St. Bridget's RC Church.

A PSNJ bus (a FORD) is heading towards the camera, partially obscured by the automobile in front of it.

There is another photo, dating to the 1940's, shows Summit Avenue looking south from Five Corners; a PS Old Look is entering the photo from the left.

Streetcar tracks, as well as wires for the streetcars and ASV's are also visible, here..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding former New York City buses operating in New Jersey......

I have a photo that I snapped in the summer of 1977, in a lot beneath the Lincoln Tunnel helix in Weehawken (I think NJT uses this lot today), that shows an old MACK (from the photo, it looks like a C-47) with three side windows plated over.

Though the paint suggested "LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE", the red/black destination sign, today, makes me wonder if this had been a former "SURFACE" bus that had been repainted after being sold.

Again, I'm only guessing; this was over 40 years ago.

I remember once looking inside through the windows, and I remember that only a few of the old seats remained, and that there was also a large desk alongside the left-hand wall, covered with paperwork and what looked like blueprints of some sort.

Above this desk, there was a large framed map that covered several windows (I cannot remember what the map was showing)

Not long after I snapped this one photo, the bus disappeared; I have no idea who then owned the bus, or what it was being used for at the time.

If I had a scanner, I would have liked to have posted this photo here.

Most likely, the veteran MACK was scrapped...........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: