BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the future hold for the PABT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those stories of the old days....

If I am traveling to Newark Airport from Queens, and am not in a particular hurry, I go the "cheap way"...Bus and free transfer to subway, PATH to Penn Station Newark, and then NJT route 62 local bus...
Whole trip as a senior, costs me only $3.10, instead of a $120. taxi ride. Cool

I've also traveled from Queens to Cape Liberty cruise terminal that way, except instead of going on bus from Newark, take HBLR from Jersey City. Only need to travel from the 34th light rail station in Bayonne, to the pier by taxi for about
$7. Sometimes there is a $5. shuttle van for the 2.5 mile ride...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

These days, if you CAN economize, go GUNG HO!! Wink

You mentioned Cape Liberty; whatever happened to the proposed light rail line that was supposed to use ex-City Subway PCC's (at the former MOT)?

Hope those wonderful and historic old streetcars went west to Market St., or somewhere where they will be used AND appreciated!

You also mentioned the cruise terminal........

Back in the 70's, when the cruise ship era was still quite young, the CNJ (during the oil embargo) restored service to P'Burgh with three trains each way to and from Newark.

What is interesting is that the 2:15 PM departure (eastbound to Newark) was used by a number of Pennsylvania travel agents to get their cruise ship patrons to New York for evening sailings.

One way fare (to Newark) was then $4.00; it was $4.75 to Penn Station, via the P-C, which, of course, required a transfer at Newark.

PATH tubes were also an option, here (30 cents!).......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, Trans-Bridge operates cruise line specials, from the Lehigh Valley direct to the NY and NJ Piers.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Nowadays, Trans-Bridge operates cruise line specials, from the Lehigh Valley direct to the NY and NJ Piers.

traildriver:

Interesting!

Did not of this!

Before the days of cruise shop terminals in New Jersey, recall, until the early 60's, when HOLLAND-AMERICA's pier at 5th St. in Hoboken (seen in 1954's "ON THE WATERFRONT".

In decades past, many liners called at Hoboken; the HOLLAND AMERICA was the very last.

The company shifted its liners from Hoboken over to Manhattan around 1963 (a friend of my brother's worked at the pier, and would give us passes to "go aboard" when a liner was in)

I STILL clearly recall, as a little kid, "lounging" in a deck chair aboard the "NIEUW AMSTERDAM", when she was docked at 5th St.; she looked MOST impressive and MASSIVE when viewed from the parking area!

Sadly, all that remains of those days are the memories......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 60's, a friend of Mom's from Jersey City phoned and told her that she and a group of ladies from her church were traveling to Italy, and were sailing on the Italian Line.

She also told Mom that the church had chartered several buses from BINETTI (Mom's friend was a good friend of Rosie Binetti); she also told Mom when they were sailing.

So, Mom and I took the #5 NHBL bus (an Old Look) from our corner (13th St. & Hudson Boulevard) to the "Port-Of-Authority", and then enjoyed walking up to the Italian Line pier (I believe it was Pier 84); still quite a bit of activity in the area then, and a sea of rainbow-painted taxis!(I also remember seeing several REA trucks at dockside)

Sure enough, we saw several chartered BINETTI Old Looks near the pier; though we didn't see Mom's friend, Mom and I, like many others, shouted "BON VOYAGE!" HAVE A NICE TIME" as several MORAN tugs began assisting the great LEONARDO DA VINCI away from her Manhattan berth.

I remember Mom saying, "What a beautiful ship! I wish we were sailing on it, don't you?"

After enjoying an ice-cold orange drink and a tasty "Noo Yawk" hot dog (mustard and relish!) Mom and I headed back down to the PABT to catch the #5 back to Union City, but not before Mom decided to stop at a WOOLWORTHS, where I became the proud owner of a small, tin friction GREYHOUND bus AND a small tin friction ocean liner, though bearing the name "SEA QUEEN", looked a lot like the SS CONSTITUTION (American Export Lines)

I still have BOTH those toys today, after all those years!

How fortunate I was to be old enough seeing some of the last classic liners!

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO
Loved hearing that...thanks so much for sharing!

BTW, since you obviously are interested in ships, may I invite you to join our organization?
We hold meetings in midtown (7th Avenue at 29th Street, a short walk from Penn Station or the PABT), on the last Friday of most months, where we see a video presentation, socialize, and have refreshments, afterward.
I am sure you would enjoy it, and especially the camaraderie of like minded members. Some of our members, such as Bill Miller, and Ted Scull are noted author's, and shipboard maritime lecturer's. Ted is also a railroad historian...

We also have a few ship tours and luncheon's on board several times a year, and some of us do a cruise together...

Check out our website, and click on 'join us--application.
While you are on the site, check out the PONY cruise schedule...a comprehensive listing of all arrivals and departures from Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Bayonne...next years should be posted early in January...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are quite welcome!

Always happy to share memories of the "Olden Tymes", especially if it involves transportation! Very Happy

Quite awhile ago, in another thread (we, again, somehow, got "side tracked" into "maritime" yarns; I guess history DOES repeat itself!) you kindly extended a generous welcome welcome to join your organization.

However, as I told you then, I no longer travel (the last time I was in the city was when I retired in '03) for several reasons; however, if your organization has a newsletter I can subscribe to, I'd be MORE than happy to "join up" and be part of the group....I'll certainly check it out later, if you can give me the name of the organization and/or a link! Wink

I've long known of the illustrious Mr. Scull (this gentleman KNOWS his stuff, without a doubt!); his book on the Staten Island Ferry is one I've read hundreds of times over; so many of the "recent" photos within its its pages depict ferries, liners, and other craft that no longer exist!

Though I admit that I am NOT a "fan" of some of the modern cruise ships (there ARE exceptions, however!) what really impresses me and awes me at the same time is their SIZE!!!

Dang, they make the massive Staten Island boats look like a bathtub toy in comparison! (I STILL marvel at how anything that huge can FLOAT!) Shocked Shocked

Another outstanding book I have, while on the subject (I hope you have this one on your shelves!) is "AROUND MANHATTAN ISLAND, AND OTHER MARITIME TALES OF NEW YORK" by another of my very favorite transportation authors, Brian J. Cudahy.

The final chapter, "NEW YORK TO BERMUDA BY SEA" not only has a detailed historical account and photos, but also, has a wonderful "log" (again, w/ photos!) of Mr. Cudahy's voyage on the "DREAMWARD" (I learned quite a bit on modern cruise ships, via his detailed accounts!)

Again, I'm grateful to have grown up at a time when so much of transportation history was still part of everyday life; buses of the 40's and 50's, prewar subway trains, coal-fired ferryboats, the graceful liners of years past........it all seemed so "permanent", back then!

Too bad that most "mainstream" guys only see transportation of as a way of getting from "A" to "B"....how much they miss!

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO...sorry, I had forgotten your previous post on the subject...
Also, apparently I forgot to include the link to our society..

https://worldshipny.com/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

MANY thanks!

I will CERTAINLY check this out later this evening! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Interesting to note that the PABT, when it opened in 1950, virtually eliminated all other bus terminals in the area, becoming the central midtown hub for all buses entering from New Jersey via the Lincoln Tunnel.

Now, recall the piers of the once bustling "Luxury Liner Row", which, for decades, stretched from W. 44th to W. 57th; as more and more trans-Atlantic travelers now chose to fly via the new jets, the shipping companies indeed were falling upon evil times.

In the end, all of the old piers once graced by the stately, luxurious ships of the ITALIAN LINE, FRENCH LINE, AMERICAN EXPORT LINES, CUNARD, UNITED STATES LINES, etc., became redundant and were closed, and later demolished.

Today, only CUNARD remains as a holdover from the grand old age of trans-Atlantic liners, and most people nowadays are cruise ship merrymakers; what remains today on the West Side is but a ghostly shadow of what used to be.

There is an excellent photo in William H. Miller Jr.'s excellent "GREAT CRUISE SHIPS AND OCEAN LINERS FROM 1954 TO 1986" dating to 1975, showing one of the last views depicting a lineup of classic liners (most, however, were on cruises)

Shown awaiting their sailings were:

"STATENDAM" and "ROTTERDAM" (HOLLAND AMERICA CRUISES)

OCEANIC (HOME LINES)

MICHELANGO" (ITALIAN LINE)

"DORIC" (HOME LINES)

"SAGAFJORD" (NORWEGIAN-AMERICA LINE)

A vansihing vista of better days, indeed......

"NYO"

(just heard on EYEWITNESS NEWS at 11 PM that two CARNIVAL CRUISE ships collided at Cozumel, Mexico; one of the ships involved was the "CARNIVAL GLORY"

Footage showed the box of one ship slicing into the other, doing enough damage; thankfully, no fatalities)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildrver:

Could you provide for me the address of your society? (also, membership dues)

The online application is in pdf format, which I do not do utilize.

I want to send a money order out after the holidays and then join your society (I know I will greatly enjoy being a member, and, also,look forward to learning still more on historic/present marine operations!)

Am very much looking forward to "signing the ship's articles"........ Wink

Thanks again.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

traildrver:

Could you provide for me the address of your society? (also, membership dues)

The online application is in pdf format, which I do not do utilize.

I want to send a money order out after the holidays and then join your society (I know I will greatly enjoy being a member, and, also,look forward to learning still more on historic/present marine operations!)

Am very much looking forward to "signing the ship's articles"........ Wink

Thanks again.....

"NYO"

Sent you a private message....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Three quick questions for someone "in the know"....... Wink

1:Does Carnival (or other cruise ship companies) operate any shuttle buses (not talking of vans, here)

2: What is the oldest cruise ship currently in operation?

3: How many knots can your "average" cruise ship attain under the best conditions? (I've also wondered about "fuel consumption")

Thanks in advance......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO
Carnival Cruise Line doesn't directly operate any shuttle's that I am aware of, however, like most lines, they charter shuttles to connect to their ships at various ports around the world.

OTOH, two 'cousin's' of CCL, Holland America and Princess jointly operate a subsidiary, Royal Hyway Tours, dba Holland America Princess, that own and operate a large network of buses in Alaska and the Yukon. All of them are part of the Carnival Corporation. HAP also serves other cruise lines calling in Alaska, both Carnival owned, and independent ones....

Oldest cruise ship? If not the very oldest, the MV Astoria comes pretty close, more known as the SS Stockholm, yes, the one that collided with the Andrea Doria.
See the wiki history...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Astoria

Average cruise ship speed is probably around 23 knots or so. Some can crank it up to 25 or 26 knots. Current fastest is Queen Mary 2. She can speed up to 30 knots if necessary, using her marine turbines for extra power, but rarely does anymore, except for adverse conditions, or medical evac...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: