BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the future hold for the PABT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
P.S. The Pantone colors for "En-Jay-Tee" may be PMS 158, PMS 240 and PMS 293.
WB: NOTHING short of DESECRATION when "En-Jay-Tee"-back in the early 80's-started applying the dreaded "Joisey Dip" paint to the "inherited" Fishbowls and "Dangerfields" (I also recall ex-ORANGE & BLACK Fishbowls with their script lettering buffed out);when NJT took the reins-by the end of the 80's-the colorful and delightful old "fallen flag" paint jobs of the long-standing "Joisey" carriers had all but disappeared------Sic Transit Gloria------- Crying or Very sad "NYO"

I was gonna say . . . very, very sick. Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB:-----just for fun----think of a "Torpedo" painted in "Tee-Yay" green-----or classic FACCo/FACL/SURFACE colors (and just as well that the last of the Old Looks were retired when they were; the 1970s two-tone blue just would not look "right" on these buses---ditto the dreaded "dip")-----think also of a "Torpedo" in classic PSNJ regalia--------and sporting "nose wings"----- Wink "NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "dip" paint of later years was the WORST carried by the Fishbowls and "Dangerfields" (superficially-perhaps-but this last paint job indeed robbed these classic buses of their dignity)------ Sad "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching a report this morning ("Eyewitness News"/ABC-7) on the forthcoming demolition of the current PABT, as well as renditions of the new facility when it is completed about 2034.

To say I have not the slightest regret about the demolition of the current faci8lity is indeed an understatement; the classic, stylish "Port-of-Authority" of 1950 which I knew and loved during my much younger years bit the dust back in the 1980's, when "upgrades" were made.

I am not in the least sorry to see the current terminal torn down-----it's just another building to Your's Truly................. Confused

"NYO"

["NEW YORK EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gray guy fondly remembers the old "Port-of-Authority", back in the 1960s............

Huge ornaments and banners hanging from the lofty ceilings of the main concourse at Christmas.

Glee clubs singing carols and other Christmas favorites in the main concourse.

POST & COACH

HOBBY MART

GARFIELD NEWS Co.

TEEPEE TOWN

Crowds of holiday travels thronging the through-line ticket counters.

Watching the colorful parade of buses representing the now-extinct "Noo Joisey" suburban carriers.

Ahhhh, where have the years gotten to?

"NYO"

["NEW YORK VIA LINCOLN TUNNEL"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-mayor-adams-and-port-authority-announce-agreement-support-replacement-midtown
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for posting this link. Wink

As one who still mourns the wanton desecration of the original 1950 "Port-Of-Authority", I have not the slightest feeling of remorse over the demolition of the current terminal.

It will indeed be interesting to watch "progress reports" on the news through the coming years, eagerly watching a glorious new Phoenix arise from its ashes! Very Happy

I am particularly interested in the new bus storage/servicing facilities, and how present services will be affected (especially suburban) as demolition of the present facility takes place.

It can only get better! Very Happy

"NYO"

["PABT EXPRESS"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gray guy fondly remembers the old "Port-of-Authority", back in the 1960s............

Huge ornaments and banners hanging from the lofty ceilings of the main concourse at Christmas.

Glee clubs singing carols and other Christmas favorites in the main concourse.

POST & COACH

HOBBY MART

GARFIELD NEWS Co.

TEEPEE TOWN

Crowds of holiday travels thronging the through-line ticket counters.

Watching the colorful parade of buses representing the now-extinct "Noo Joisey" suburban carriers.

Ahhhh, where have the years gotten to?

"NYO"

["NEW YORK VIA LINCOLN TUNNEL"]

I have my own memories . . . back in the day (1970's), across from the PABT on Ninth Avenue was an M.H. Lamston's 5 & 10 store that my mother and I frequently went to . . . sadly, the building once housing it has for the last few decades been unused for business space . . . like you said, where have all the years gone? Question
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Ahhhh, Lamston's!

When Your's Truly started working downtown in early 1979, there was a LAMSTON's opposite the top of the spacious escalator bank in the WTC concourse, coming up from the "Tubes".

I still have a few items I purchased there, ages ago!

There was another LAMSTON's on Broadway near where I worked on Wall Street, just above Bowling Green.

When I think of the "Port-of-Authority" as I knew it back in the 60s, and what it was "transmorphed" into by the 1980's, I don't know if I should shudder or to cry (or maybe do both)

As I said earlier, Your's Truly has NO regrets whatsoever about the present terminal being demolished.

Back in the old days, rush hours had the buses of many NJ "fallen flags" scurrying in and out in profusion, flaunting colorful, classic liveries (no shortage of "Shermans" and Fishbowls, back then!)!

Today, well, it's impossible to get excited over giant white boxes and slithering caterpillars........... Sad

"NYO"

["RIVER ROAD EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further:

Earlier, "EYEWITNESS NEWS MORNINGS AT 10" featured a short "run through" report on the new PABT that was worth watching.

Some good footage of NJT buses (NABI/MCI) inside the terminal also featured.

I was never so glad to see an "old" transportation hub poised for demolition as I am now with the razing of the present facility; the "improvements" that started back around 1980 truly desecrated (in every sense of the word) what was once hailed as "the most beautiful bus station in the world".........

"NYO"

["NEW YORK EXPRESS"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

I have my own memories . . . back in the day (1970's), across from the PABT on Ninth Avenue was an M.H. Lamston's 5 & 10 store that my mother and I frequently went to . . . sadly, the building once housing it has for the last few decades been unused for business space . . . like you said, where have all the years gone? Question

When I retired from ADT back in 2017, the former Lamston's space was occupied by some sort of social services establishment for homeless or senior's...not sure if it still is, or not....
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

When I retired from ADT back in 2017, the former Lamston's space was occupied by some sort of social services establishment for homeless or senior's...not sure if it still is, or not....

It is. What a waste. Endless soup kitchen lines on the sidewalk.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further "come down" at the "Port-of-Authority".......

Back in the old days, the elegant "POST & COACH" was indeed a stylish place for a fine meal in an intimate setting (as a lad, I recall hearing of my godmother (who then worked on E. 42nd, near the UN) attending a reception there, as well as parents of friends going there for dinner on their anniversaries)

By the 1980s, as the "new and improved" PABT took shape, the once-glamorous "POST & COACH" was reduced to a lowly (re-located) snack counter.Sad

Of course, by the early 80's, "elegant" dining in "Noo Yawk" was pretty much passe, and society and styles themselves had changed tremendously since the 1950s and 1960s, and not for the better............. Crying or Very sad

"NYO"

["POST & COACH"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....what WILL indeed be QUITE interesting is when the present PABT is finally closed to all buses, and to see where the buses will be diverted to, and what the temporary facilities will be like.

This phase, IMHO, will be quite interesting (and complex) to say the least.............

"NYO"

["7 NEW YORK-PORT AUTHORITY TERM."]
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....what WILL indeed be QUITE interesting is when the present PABT is finally closed to all buses, and to see where the buses will be diverted to, and what the temporary facilities will be like.

This phase, IMHO, will be quite interesting (and complex) to say the least.............

"NYO"

["7 NEW YORK-PORT AUTHORITY TERM."]

And for regular commuter's, as well as occasional long distance traveler's, just like the rebuilding of LaGuardia Airport and other's, it will be a multi-year nightmare of endless detours of constantly changing temporary pathways to their gates...

But hopefully well worth it in the end...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: