BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florescent interior lighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....too bad there are not nearly as many vintage BUS interior photos as there are subway car photos........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1364

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3824

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s interesting that transit New Looks had fluorescent lights while the New Look suburbans (according to the sales brochure) had incandescent lights that were identical to the ones used on the Old Looks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
It’s interesting that transit New Looks had fluorescent lights while the New Look suburbans (according to the sales brochure) had incandescent lights that were identical to the ones used on the Old Looks.

MaBSTOA 15:

It was the same here with the NJ suburban carriers; the New Looks all had incandescent lighting (and small reading lights)

The only exceptions were the "semi-suburbans" (the ones I knew best were originally operated by ORANGE & BLACK); these buses had no center door, transit-style seating, and florescent lighting (they also sported the large a/c unit over the rear window)

Most O&B New Look suburbans, however, were of the "straight suburban" configuration, meaning that they had a single door, high back seats, and incandescent lighting.

NJT operated these buses through much of the 80's; I commuted on them too many times to count, over the years.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" (McKane/Squier)......

".........the power source for the florescent lighting system was initially located under the dashboard. This location was changed on later models, and, as an extra-cost option, provided another florescent system, that in addition to lighting the passenger area, also supplied back-lighting for transparent advertising materials......"

Also:

".......it is not surprising that many properties pleased with the performances from the first-generation buses, returned for repeat orders......."

.".....not the least of which was New York City's Manhattan & Bronx Surface Operating Authority, and the New York City Transit Authority. The transit TDH-5303 was very popular with these operators, and would be synonymous with bus transit in the New York City area....."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of florescent lighting on buses........

What type of lighting is used in today's MTA bus (and subway fleets); I'm wondering if only the oldest subway in use cars still have "traditional" florescent lighting, or have these tubes been replaced by modern hardware?

In the subways, from photos I have seen taken since I retured in 2003, many stations now have "valances" over the platforms and stairways that house current lighting apparatus.

I always liked the old florescent tubes that ran above the platform edges, creating an interesting "sinew-y" look on platforms that had curves.

Those were the florescent fixtures I knew best underground, but, of course, I also loved the classic incandescent fixtures, especially the fixtures where there would be multiple bulbs in a cluster (I still refer to them as "bulb clusters"!)

Those were my favorites; the H&M/PATH also used these fixtures well through the 1960's.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Classic Era" florescent lighting on the platforms, long ago.........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3095

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3188

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4030

(courtesy; nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Speaking of florescent lighting on buses........

What type of lighting is used in today's MTA bus (and subway fleets); I'm wondering if only the oldest subway in use cars still have "traditional" florescent lighting, or have these tubes been replaced by modern hardware?

In the subways, from photos I have seen taken since I retured in 2003, many stations now have "valances" over the platforms and stairways that house current lighting apparatus.

I always liked the old florescent tubes that ran above the platform edges, creating an interesting "sinew-y" look on platforms that had curves.

Those were the florescent fixtures I knew best underground, but, of course, I also loved the classic incandescent fixtures, especially the fixtures where there would be multiple bulbs in a cluster (I still refer to them as "bulb clusters"!)

Those were my favorites; the H&M/PATH also used these fixtures well through the 1960's.......

"NYO"

I remember when the old buses were run on 42nd Street last year, TA #100 (from the 1959 order) had their fluorescent lights replaced with LED lighting. That is very likely what is used now.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

That's just about what I figured; thanks.

Strange how things change over the years....I NEVER thought I could ever feel the least bit nostalgic for florescent transit lighting........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbowl interior views (#100)......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2938

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2939

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

Man, do those metal standee straps bring back great memories of REAL buses!! Very Happy
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised I've checked my files and found the following...

The first photo, dated February 1956 shows the rear lounge seat of a Fifth Avenue Coach TDH-5104 and the fluorescent lighting system.

The second photo, undated, shows the rear lounge seat of a Fifth Avenue Coach TDH-5106 ( "buses with the sign that stuck out in the front") and the fluorescent lighting system.

The caption for this photo talks about the three girls, high school students from Queens, testing the new "soft ride" Fifth Avenue Coach Lines bus, two of which went into operation on the company's Manhattan-Jackson Heights route. The shiny new vehicles feature an "airplane lounge" and flickerless fluorescent lighting.

Note the bus behind is one of the "buses with the sign that stuck out in the front" signed for 135th St

IMG_9365 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.83 KB
 Viewed:  13793 Time(s)

IMG_9365 (2).JPG

IMG_9366 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.99 KB
 Viewed:  13793 Time(s)

IMG_9366 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Once again, you've dug through the "bottomless depths" of your archives, and came up with more rare gems.....THANK YOU for posting these nostalgic old photos! Very Happy

Folks indeed were quite nicely dressed, way back then (I'm old enough to remember those times!); the young lady sitting in the rear seat in the first photo looks my sister-in-law, when my brother was dating her, back in the early 60's!

The young school girls REALLY takes you back to another, long-ago, more innocent day! (those nice seats sure wouldn't last long today, sad to say)

Love that a bus with "the sign that sticks out in the front" can be seen through the rear window.....ANOTHER bonus! Very Happy

I always thought buses like these to be quite "exotic"; here in New Jersey, only New Looks had florescent lighting; those straphanger straps, on the other hand, were as common as cracks in the sidewalk on the buses I grew up with, over 50 years ago.

I still miss the old "buzzer cords"!

Again, GREAT PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Brief "sidetrack" on the subways........

Today, the MTA refers to the former IRT lines as the "A" Division; the BMT/IND is referred to as the "B" Division; no new reporters today use the old nomeclature (more than likely, most never have heard of the old names!)

But, for die-hard subway purists (such as Your's Truly!) I've never stopped using the old names; I will still refer to the "#7" as the "IRT Flushing line", and the "A" as the "IND 8th Avenue Express"..

I also still use "BMT Sea Beach Line", "IND Queens Boulevard line"; in Brooklyn, where the "A" runs I still use the old "IND Fulton St. line".

As a kid, I well remember the BMT trains using route numbers, like the IRT; this disappeared with the "Chrystie St. Connection" of 1967; that was when many subway buffs today say that the separate indentities of the IND and the BMT vanished.

When I think of the IRT I think of Lo-V's, kiosks, and SMEE equipment.

With the BMT, I reacall "AB" Standards, Triplexes, and "buzz boxes" at certain stations.

With the IND, I think of the huge, massive, spacious station mezzanines (built in an era long before subway crimes became rampant), and, of course, those hulking, rugged, prewar "Arnine" cars.

(Recall, also, the double fare on the Rockaway line, and the Aqueduct Express?)

Gotta keep the rich history alive, if only in our minds........

"NYO"

Well after the "merging" of the BMT and IND in 1967, I recall an old sign alongside the dispatch booth on the southbound platform of my 'home' Continental Avenue station, with conductor instructions as to 'fans', 'vents', etc., for trains originating there...the GG Crosstown, and the Brighton Local, or 'QT', later replaced by the 'RR'. For the Brighton Local, there was a separate sign headed: "BMT"... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Recall, also, the short-lived "NX"! Wink

Back in the 60's, it was interesting that the IRT and the BMT were both using letters for their route designations; the IRT's R-12/14's (ACF, 1948/1949) were the first cars on the old "Interborough" to use roller curtains with route numbers.

After I graduated high school in 1975, I used to love riding an ORANGE & BLACK Old Look into the PABT, and riding old prewar IND cars on the then-rush hours only "CC"; the two-car Bowling Green shuttle was a lot of fun, too! Wink

I used to enjoy riding up to E. 180th and viewing the remains of the old "Westchester" (Damn, why didn't I take pictures??) Sad

NOTHING said "Noo Yawk" like the sound of dropping your token into a 1920's IRT turnstile, and hearing that sharp "SNAP!", followed by the heavy "CLUNK" of the wooden turnstile arms as you passed through!

The last of these that I recall were on the Brooklyn-bound platform at Wall Street (Lexington Avenue line), back in the 1990's.

Ahhh, nostalgia......... Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two views showing the fluorescent lighting power pack located above and behind the driver as well as an interior view showing the bright lighting of the new buses.

Two things to note...

First, In the first picture notice the transparent sun visor (partially shown). This type of visor was an option by GM. The standard visor was a padded card board like the ones used in cars.

Secondly, the interior view is of a first generation New Look model. Note the length of the standee window.

Both pictures came from the sales brochure for the TDH-4517/4518 and TDH-5303/5304

IMG_9412 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.74 KB
 Viewed:  13593 Time(s)

IMG_9412 (2).JPG

IMG_9413 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.23 KB
 Viewed:  13593 Time(s)

IMG_9413 (2).JPG

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ad appearing in a trade magazine showing the Luminator fluorescent lighting system as applied to a BoT Mack C-50DT

IMG_9414 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.23 KB
 Viewed:  13592 Time(s)

IMG_9414 (2).JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: