BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"To The Piers" (W. 42nd St.)/Uptown nostalgia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of roll signs/readings:

Here is a head-on view of the double-deck LEYLAND demo in 1978; I just want to see if my hunch is right here.

The signs displayed appeared to have been "cobbled" or "patched" to fit the sign boxes (were odd remnants used for this signage?)

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1248

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While speaking of "cobbled" or "customized" destination/route signs for demos, I'm posting this 1974 photo of the MAN articulated, signed for the "CULTURE LOOP/888".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?628

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Here is a head-on view of the double-deck LEYLAND demo in 1978; I just want to see if my hunch is right here.

The signs displayed appeared to have been "cobbled" or "patched" to fit the sign boxes (were odd remnants used for this signage?)

"NYO"

No, they look like they were made specifically for this demo. The type used for the route number (M1, etc.) didn't match what was on the side signs of the 'batwings'.

On a side note, who knew it would have taken the 2010 budget cutbacks for southbound (NYCO-derived) M1 runs to mimic the old FACCo #1 between 135th and 8th Streets?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

"NYO"

No, they look like they were made specifically for this demo. The type used for the route number (M1, etc.) didn't match what was on the side signs of the 'batwings'.

On a side note, who knew it would have taken the 2010 budget cutbacks for southbound (NYCO-derived) M1 runs to mimic the old FACCo #1 between 135th and 8th Streets?

Wb.:

Thanks for this info!

So these signs were specifically made for that demo; this was something I was unaware of, assuming that the sign readings were "patched" together.

Speaking of "demos", I recall that one "demo" that utilized bus shelters that looked like giant tubing; this was Brazilian, if I am not mistaken.

I remember this back in the 90's, if memory serves me correctly; I seem to recall one of these "tube" shelters near the South Street Seaport......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEYLAND demo #D5, 1979............

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3321

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3322

traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaner Buses?

I would imagine that if a depot was directed to send, say ten of a type 'on loan' to another deport, the buses selected wood probably be the worst ones in their fleet.
And in all probability, whatever buses were loaned out, they would be in worse condition when they were returned.... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Loaner Buses?

I would imagine that if a depot was directed to send, say ten of a type 'on loan' to another deport, the buses selected wood probably be the worst ones in their fleet.
And in all probability, whatever buses were loaned out, they would be in worse condition when they were returned.... Wink

traildriver:

That does seem to make sense, when all things are considered!

I cannot see any depot (in New York or in New Jersey, for that matter) loaning out buses that they considered the "cream of the crop", so, of course, the "clunkers" would be the most likely candidates to be "loaned out" to another stable.

Here in NJ, it seemed that "loaning out" buses from one garage to another was all that commonplace, at least to my knowledge.

On a somewhat related note, most NJT Neoplan artics based out of Fairview (the old ORANGE & BLACK garage) are in the 9600 series, although a handful of 9500's are also stabled at Fairview.

I know that the 9500's are mostly used in the Newark area (these buses have hard plastic seats, while the seats on the 9600's are upholstered..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another MTA "demo" was HINO #951, back in the early 1980's.

I remember seeing this bus a few times, way back when, and calling it the "TOKYO LIMITED" (I used to love spotting all those 1950's/1960's vintage HINO and CONDOR buses that seemed to be in almost every classic TOHO Studios "monster-on-the-loose" flicks, many eons ago)....... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1352

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of "demo" buses in New York........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3384

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2972

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2969

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3020

At the time this sleek a/c'd demo hit the streets, a fully air-conditioned bus fleet was still light-years into the future for New York bus riders.

At that time, virtually the only buses that you could which were air-conditioned were intercity models, although suburban Old Look GMC's with a/c began to become commonplace as the 1950's trudged on......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent page:

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/The_New_York_Transit_Authority_in_the_1980s

Scroll down to the "ALL CRACKED UP" heading; there is much here about the infamous GRUMMAN fiasco and the resulting fallout afterwards.

There is also brief mention of the MTA considering buying buses from HINO and RENAULT.

Also, excellent, detailed coverage on the subways and "els"...the good, the bad, and the ugly.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "demo" buses and the GRUMMANS........

One cannot help but wonder what the scenario might have been like, had the MTA opted for RTS buses instead of the GRUMMAN.

At the time of the GRUMMAN fiasco, RTS buses were already working for some time on the "indie" outfits.

In looking back, perhaps the MTA should have gone with the RTS right from the get-go.

From "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES" (McCausland):

"...............in 1979, a strange-looking coach infiltrated the streets of New York. Wearing an unusual factory paint scheme, a sleek, white TH-8203 made its way to the NYCTA as a demo coach.........."

".........the 40' foot coach used a Detroit Diesel 6V-71, smaller than what was typically installed city's GM and Flxible New Looks. The NYCTA did not pursue the RTS at the time, but began ordering 870's from GRUMMAN........"

It is interesting to think about the MTA going with the RTS right from the start.....

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this view we see a Leyland double-decker "Atlantean" model on its way to the docks in England.

Note the lack of fleet number decals and agency logo.

Of interest is the destination signs. Note the standard New York font. This leads me to believe that these buses received custom made signs in New York.

IMG_9191 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.38 KB
 Viewed:  15547 Time(s)

IMG_9191 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

NEVER have saw this photo before..........again, thanks for sharing it with us here! Very Happy

Too bad they don't sell a reasonably priced replica of this bus at one of the Museum stores......I know I'd sure as heck grab one! Wink

With the Amazin' New York Mets off the field until next season, at least vintage bus pictures like this help to keep some semblence of excitement alive! Very Happy

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Leyland double deckers proved to be wrong fro NY, they were sold to Gray Line of San Francisco who quickly painted them all red, renumbered and used them on sightseeing service.

However, as evident by the photo below, they kept their MaBSTOA destination curtains.

Here it reads...

"Limited Stops; to Abigndon Sq.-14 St.; SPECIAL

s-l1600 (31).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.34 KB
 Viewed:  15407 Time(s)

s-l1600 (31).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT PHOTO!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

LOVE that the old "Noo Yawk" destination curtains were retained! Very Happy

This bus easily would have looked more at home in Trafalagar Square than Times Square! Shocked

Thanks for posting here........... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: