BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CT] Kelley Transit Company of Torrington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: [CT] Kelley Transit Company of Torrington Reply with quote

According to a side remark on BusChat, Kelley Transit Company has gone out of business. In the late 1940's I'm quite sure I rode a stretched taxi-shape vehicle of theirs from Torrington to Danbury and Brewster. They also supplied good coach buses for CNE exploration trips in various segments each spring: Hartford, Tariffville, Winsted, Millerton, Ancramdale, Red Hook. Until this week they had contract work for people commuting to Hartford, routes that CDOT has promised to run Feb. 11th.
---
Sad to lose a company with a great history. Tell me I'm wrong, and they are still running.
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: KelleyTransit Torrington, CT Reply with quote

Does not look good. Their website is down or has been removed. I checked the Torrington newspaper - Register-Citizen - but there is nothing about Kelley.
The newspaper is part of the Hearst monopoly in CT and their local coverage in all of the papers has declined. Maybe there is something about Kelley in/on the CT TV station websites. WFSB WVIT and WTNH.
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bieber has also gone kaput.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Waterbury Republican has the story, giving John Nason as the owner of Kelley Transit. However, after the first paragraph I hit a pay wall. It says the company has been in business for fifteen decades! That would put it about 1869.
Bill D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to Torrington Register Citizen article: https://www.registercitizen.com/news/article/Torrington-s-Kelley-Transit-Company-closes-13608420.php

The express bus routes from Torrington and Winsted to Hartford are being operated by CT Transit, Hartford. The "Candystriper" deviated fixed route service is being operated by North East Transportation. These are temporary arrangements to maintain service until a permanent solution is implimented.

Bill
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to return to my memory of E. J. Kelley from Torrington to Brewster in the late 1940's. In hunting through Bing images or Google images, I seem to be entering wrong terms. The vehicle, as I recall, had bench seats like many sedans. However, each side of the car had three or four doors, so there was no climbing over someone or squeezing past someone to get to the third or fourth row, as is common in present-day airport vans that have only two doors on each side of the vehicle.
---
The vehicle I am trying to describe would also show up in Catskill "limo" service. It resembled an elongated taxi, but each row of seats had its own door. It was not a question of jump seats, as I think some Checkers offered.
---
What search term should I be using?
Thank you.
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checker made these. Not sure of the model name. You are right, they were a stretched version of a standard Checker cab. GMC also made this type of vehicle as well. It was an enlongated version of the Suburban/CarryAll. They had at least 4 doors on each side as well as a roof rack for luggage. The Checkers had the roof rack as well. CT Limo used the enlongated GMCs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: