BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

EXCELLENT commentaries and stats....thanks for posting here! Wink

If one really delves into the worlds of both bus models as well as bus manufacturing, I am willing to wager that even many "business savvy" individuals would be quite astounded, to say the least, on just how complex the bus industry is.

In the Fall, 1996 issue of "BUS WORLD", there is an excellent feature that is more than worth another read; this is "WHERE HAVE ALL THE BUS BUILDERS GONE?" (Van Wilkins)

It is interesting, to say the least, just how many more changes have taken place within the industry, over the past twenty-two years..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking back to my childhood days, especially the early/mid 60's, "diversity" indeed was the byword of the day when it came to the different bus builders whose products were still in regular revenue service.

Out of all of them, only GM was still building buses; MACK, WHITE, ACF-BRILL and TWIN were all out of the business by then.

The mechanics of the old NHBL (North Hudson Boulevard Lines) that ran right by our old apartment building, had to be "savvy" servicing several different types of buses; the NHBL fleet then was comprised of several models of Old Looks (including some of the oldest "square window" models, two models of WHITES, and MACKS)

INTER-CITY (especially on the #97, which ran between JSQ and Paterson) was then operating Old Looks, WHITES, and ACF-BRILLS; so here you had another company that was rostering coaches from three different builders.....I still remember those days well............

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, too, the "Forward Look" bus, MACK's prototype, three axle, intercity bus built for GREYHOUND in 1957.

This startling and futuristic coach, the MV-620-D, ran in regular GREYHOUND service from 1957 through 1960; it's "tail fins" also emulated the latest model autos of the time.

Neither GREYHOUND nor any other company ordered this bus, and it turned out to be one of MACK's biggest failures ever......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MACK's "Forward Look" bus........

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/bus-stop-classic-bus-oddities-vol-2-mack-mv-620-d/

(courtesy: curbsideclassics)

*Happily, this rare coach still exists today! Very Happy
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Mack MV-620 was on loan to the Museum of Bus Transportation, in nearby Hershey for a while, as can be see in one of those photos', near the Golden Eagle.

I added a comment to the last post in that link, about the resemblance of the rear pillar to that of an MC-6... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Yes, the Mack MV-620 was on loan to the Museum of Bus Transportation, in nearby Hershey for a while, as can be see in one of those photos', near the Golden Eagle.

I added a comment to the last post in that link, about the resemblance of the rear pillar to that of an MC-6... Smile

traildriver:

While I did nor post a comment, I see that you and I are of the same opinion! Wink

It is fun to imagine such a "futuristic" coach going into production and operating in the GREYHOUND fleet! Very Happy

"FUTURA-CRUISER SERVICE", anyone....?? Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to give a mention to "CROWN" here....

In production between 1950 and 1980, CROWN had built for itself a solid reputation for building solid, reliable (and sleek!) school buses.

They also built inter-city, suburban, airporters, and cargo coaches.

Beginning in 1950, CROWN offered inter-city coaches in two lengths; later models were stretched up to 40 feet.

During the 70's, a high-level model was introduced with increased underfloor luggage space; these buses were not successful, and few, if any, were built following an order for 30 in 1980.

In 1987, the company was taken over by the GENERAL ELECTRIC CREDIT CORPORATION, and reorganized as CROWN COACH INCORPORATED, a sibsidiary of GE RAILCAR REPAIR SERVICES.

For decades, like the humble, yet iconic VW "Beetle", the buses themselves remained virtually unchanged in styling; a 1950 model would be virtually identical to one built in 1970......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Coach_Corporation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Supercoach
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"California Royalty".......

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/crown-motor-coaches-california-royalty

(courtesy: curbsideclassics)

*Be sure to note the CROWN intercity SUPER COACH; it is not at all difficult to imagine this handsome bus in either GREYHOUND or TRAILWAYS regalia........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND operated "COMBO CARS".

TRAILWAYS OPERATED "CARGO LINERS".

Here we present the formidable Great Northern "BRUCK"...........

http://www.gnarchive.com/bruck.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering CANADIAN COACHWAY's "BRUCK"......

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/bus/coachways-bruck.html

(courtesy: Explore North")
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Great Northern's "BRUCK"; a STUNNING historical vehicle indeed, thankfully (and beautifully) restored!

http://www.oil-electric.com/2009/05/innovation-bruck.html
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great links, thanks!

My memories of the Crown's, besides the California school buses, were a very special fleet, operated by the Colorado Springs Gray Line Sightseeing franchisee. These were shorter models, powered by a DD 6-71, and featuring a 10 speed Roadranger transmission. They also had plexiglas roof panels.
Gray Line used them specifically for the tour up the Pikes Peak Auto Road, all the way up to the 14,000+ foot summit. Their short length was necessary to negotiate the many hairpin switchbacks enroute.

When it came time to replace them, they took a pair of PD-4106's, and cut about 6 feet (one side window's length) out. The stock DD 8v-71 had sufficient power to keep the standard 4 speed tranny.

I don't know what coaches are used on that tour nowadays, if it even operates...probably some minicoach I suppose.

I also remember seeing some Crown US Postal Highway Post Offices, still around in the late sixties.

And as far as 'bruck's' go, I rode a Coachways Western Flyer Canuck P-41 combo, all the way from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks along the Alcan highway in 1970. I actually started that epic trip in New York...took five days, and I only stayed overnight once, about halfway, in Butte, Mt. I have some photo's buried in my 'archives'...
Western Flyer made true brucks also...with the box truck like rear halves, but the Canuck I rode was a converted 'combo' that had a large cargo door installed in its side.

During the construction of the Alcan Highway during WWII, Greyhound's contracted operation for the US Army Northwest Service Command utilized Silverside coaches.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Glad you enjoyed the links; so did yours truly! Wink

You rode a BRUCK?? Shocked

Also, appreciated (as always) your always interesting "commentary"!

Man, you can never relive THAT experience, that's for sure! Rolling Eyes

Somewhat related to the "BRUCK" discussion, in 1950, FLXIBLE joined with other bus builders to build "HPO's" (Highway Post Offices) for the United States Post Office Department.

FLXIBLE built about 11 of these coaches in 1950, using the CLIPPER as its base.

But these buses had higher roofs than the "standard" CLIPPER; the interiors were fitted out reminiscent of the RPO cars so commonplace on the railroads at the time (as on the rails, mail was sorted en route)

These unique coaches sold to the individual bus companies that had contracted to operate them for the Post Office Department.

In my collection, I have a tin "Post Office Bus" that clearly resembles a "BRUCK"; I also have a tin friction "RCA TELEVISION" mobile studio bus that was somewhat inspired by a CLIPPER "HPO"; both VERY rare old toys (late 50's/early 60's)........I'm quite glad I have them today...... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on "HPO's"........

MACK also offered a "postal bus"; this was based on the "CM" Model, which was produced between 1939 and 1942.

There are two circa 1940-photos in 'MACK BUSES" (edited by Harvey Eckart) showing one of these buses; the interior shot, showing two clerks sorting the mails, was indeed patterned after the RPO's then commonplace......

"NYO"

BTW:

I have a photo I took over 40 years ago showing the gutted hulk of a MACK "HPO", abandoned in Weehawken, NJ, near the site of the old NYC yards; the bus was in blue and white, with a red stripe around the body.

There was also a large loading door cut into the body where the emergency door would normally had been.

The engine compartment had been cut away, and the interior was gutted.

I DID manage to grab a light cover from inside, though! Very Happy

If I call recall correctly, this bus was a C-45; it has been gone now for decades (the area itself is now totally unrecognizeable).........

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 12 of 28

Jump to: