BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air-conditioned GM/FLX New Looks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Air-conditioned GM/FLX New Looks Reply with quote

All:

When were the first air-conditioned GM and Flxible New Looks delivered to the NYCTA/MTA?

Also, were any of the older (non a/c) New Looks ever retrofitted with a/c, or did they remain non air-conditioned buses until retirement?

Thanks in advance.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a few experimental models in the Old Look buses, and when the New Looks came out in 1959, they were offered with air conditioning. The first ones I saw was DC Transit's "Articoolers".
I did a search, and found this on the MTA's website timeline:

"September 11, 1966
Although a few air-conditioned buses were in service previously, air-conditioning becomes a regular NYC Transit bus feature with the arrival of 682 vehicles known as the 8000 series."
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redacted duplicate
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
There were a few experimental models in the Old Look buses, and when the New Looks came out in 1959, they were offered with air conditioning. The first ones I saw was DC Transit's "Articoolers".

"September 11, 1966
Although a few air-conditioned buses were in service previously, air-conditioning becomes a regular NYC Transit bus feature with the arrival of 682 vehicles known as the 8000 series."

traildriver:

Always appreciate your input....thank you!

I knew of the original ARTICOOLER GM New Looks in DC; on a sidenote Baltimore's BTC ordered a/c GM New Looks in 1963 to convert the city's last two streetcar lines (#'s 8 and 15)

BTC's 1963 New Looks were the first air-conditioned buses in the fleet (these were 101 TDH-5305's)..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidenote:

I also remember (early/mid 80's) seeing Flex New Looks that had ad posters mounted over the vent work on the a/c units.

I was always curious about this; I cannot see how the a/c could have worked in this fashion.

In "SUBWAY ART" (Cooper/Chalfant, 1984) there is a rear view of Flx New Look #7738, running on St. Ann St. (S. Bronx)

This bus has an ad rack mounted on the a/c unit, but is not carrying any ad.........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

"September 11, 1966

Although OMOT's website maintains those A/C batwing Fishbowls were produced between January and February 1967. September 11, 1966 must've been when the contract was signed to produce them. On eBay are sections of a side roll sign for a MaBSTOA batwing that was dated December 13, 1966. Some now-gone routes such as "2 - 5th & Madison via Lenox" are among those in that roll sign that were cut up into individual sections.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question as New York Omnibus 2629... how efficient was the a/c condenser when you had an ad rack in front of it?

I mentioned these ad racks in another thread here on BusTalk.

Note the white fleet numbers applied to the rear windshield and the size of said windshield. BTW, besides the a/c ad rack on 7753 they also appeared on some of the 9000 series Flxibles.

7343.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.24 KB
 Viewed:  19794 Time(s)

7343.JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

GREAT PICTURE......thanks for sharing! Wink

I see you had the same question I had; I always wondered on just how efficiently the a/c units on these buses would function with an ad rack mounted over the grillwork.

I remember this being quite distinctive; I have no recollection of any sort of any similar practices here in New Jersey.....

"NYO"
John Roth

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO. I was in seventh grade when the PCCs quit in Baltimore and it was a sad day. However, I had to admit that the New Looks that replaced them were stunning.

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
NYO. I was in seventh grade when the PCCs quit in Baltimore and it was a sad day. However, I had to admit that the New Looks that replaced them were stunning.

John

John:

Hard to believe that, this year, it will be 55 years since the #'s 8 and 15 streetcars went over to buses.

Yes, the new BTC Fishbowls were indeed stunning, and "As Modern As Tomorrow!"

Today, like the streetcars they replaced so long ago, the BTC Fishbowls themselves are now but fond and nostalgic memories.......

"NYO"
John Roth

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO. We actually have one of the original BTC Fishbowls in our collection at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. #1962. I had the pleasure of driving it last fall and even though it did not have power steering I had a blast.

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
NYO. We actually have one of the original BTC Fishbowls in our collection at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. #1962. I had the pleasure of driving it last fall and even though it did not have power steering I had a blast.

John

John: I have seen photos of that bus.....what a classic!! (can't believe it is now 21 years since I last rode on an Fishbowl!)

I have three CORGI BTC Fishbowls in my collection; these three are among my very favorites!

Those big a/c units over the rear windows sure made them distinctive! (ditto for the a/c Old Looks, that were once so commonplace in my area, many years ago!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....am now wondering if ad racks mounted on the a/c units were exclusive to the Flx New Looks, or were these also used on the GM's?

Personally, I only remember those on the Flx buses.....

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

"September 11, 1966

As per Traildriver's correct information, here's a picture of the very first A/C NYC Transit bus (excluding earlier experimentals).

Frankie

8001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.15 KB
 Viewed:  19682 Time(s)

8001.jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking back to those early day's of air-conditioned NYC buses...
I can recall the appreciative huge smile on passenger's faces, when they boarded one of them on a typical hot, hazy, and humid summer day, and realized that suddenly, they were relieved of that discomfort....
...almost like it was yesterday, (in my "mind's eye")... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: