BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arthur Bernacchia, of Yonkers-based Liberty Lines dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Arthur Bernacchia, of Yonkers-based Liberty Lines dies Reply with quote

Arthur Bernacchia, co-founder of Yonkers-based Liberty Lines bus system, dead at 89
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur, who passed away the other day, was born in 1928. The obit says he and his brother took over their father's bus business. I guess Arthur was the son of one of the Bernacchia Brothers who began North Broadway service about 1930. When you see a Bee Line 6 operating between the Yonkers train station and Hastings, you are seeing their first route, unless I am mistaken.
The thread in the link below is an attempt to put together some Yonkers bus history, but I have other threads somewhere that may show more light.
---
I think the 2nd Bernacchia route was the North Yonkers Loop, now Bee Line 9.
---
Both routes were designed to avoid conflict with the Yonkers Railroad franchises for streetcars on #1 Warburton and #2 Palisade and Park Avenues.
---
Link to a bus thread on a marvelous Yonkers history site:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/soyosunset/bus-routes-since-the-1920s-t4667-s10.html
---
Arthur died Friday 8.25.2017 at St. John's Hospital, along the North Broadway route which probably his dad and uncle began shortly after his birth. The funeral home at 168 Park Avenue is along a route (2) his firm operates on behalf of Westchester Bee Line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: