BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Buses for Suffolk.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: New Buses for Suffolk. Reply with quote

Suffolk has awarded a new order of buses from New Flyer. The order is for up to 73 New Flyer Xcelsior diesel-electric hybrid buses.

The firm order is for 10 - Xcelsior 40-foot and 20 Xcelsior 35-foot diesel-electric hybrid. The remaining 43 buses could be 35 foot or 40 foot and they could come any time over the next 5 years.

https://newflyer.com/rss/797-suffolk-county-awards-new-flyer-a-contract-for-up-to-73-xcelsior%C2%AE-buses

Suffolk also has ordered Para Transit buses this year, which will be numbered in the 1700's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on Facebook. http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/hybrids/2017/01/new-flyer-hybrids-for-suffolk-county/
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for the first one to arrive! http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/wp-content/uploads/NewFlyerXcelsor_hybrid_frontoblique-1500.jpg
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Can't wait for the first one to arrive! http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/wp-content/uploads/NewFlyerXcelsor_hybrid_frontoblique-1500.jpg

Looks like it's going to be one cool looking bus.

I wonder if for the markup they used the real bus number or made it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! I thought Suffolk was going to go Gillig again. This is great news!

I'm guessing this would replace the 1999 Orion 05.503s, 2000 Gillig Suburbans and 2005 Gillig Phantoms.

Is there room for an expansion?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TransitMan wrote:

Is there room for an expansion?

Well they are suppose to be doing that Patchouge to Stony Brook route, so I wouldn't be surprised if some buses are to be brought for that and not bus replacement.

My guess would be probably depending on how many 2005 Phantoms are over the 500,000 mile mark as to how many end up being replaced by this order.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be twelve years (can it?) since I took a break from my work and ran over to the Huntington Square Mall to say hello to Sidney Keyles and his contingent that came out from NJ to ride the 50xx's when they were brand new.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
It can't be twelve years (can it?) since I took a break from my work and ran over to the Huntington Square Mall to say hello to Sidney Keyles and his contingent that came out from NJ to ride the 50xx's when they were brand new.

Probably not 12 years to the exact day that the 2005 Phantoms had arrived, but it has been 12 years none the less.

I know how you feel, it feels just like yesterday that I was walking home from High School after taking a test and seeing a 2005 Phantom for the first time pass by me.
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's early but does anyone have an idea of how many buses are going to the different garages?

Jimbo, you have any idea how many you might get?

Just asking because now that Hampton Jitney cut the 10A and S90, I wonder if we would get 1 bus OR "hand-me downs".
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for most (if not all) of the 40' buses to go to Twin Forks Transit. To be used on the S-92. They will probably replace all the 2005 35' Gilligs (6) at Sunrise and a couple of the 2010 40' Orions with high mileage.

Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Look for most (if not all) of the 40' buses to go to Twin Forks Transit. To be used on the S-92. They will probably replace all the 2005 35' Gilligs (6) at Sunrise and a couple of the 2010 40" Orions with high mileage.

Do you think they would actually retire Twin Forks high mileage 40" Orions or just transfer them to a company that has a low mileage route for them?

I figured the S92 had a lot of miles to it, I'm just surprised that it had so many miles that it could mileage out a few 2010's already.
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Look for most (if not all) of the 40' buses to go to Twin Forks Transit. To be used on the S-92. They will probably replace all the 2005 35' Gilligs (6) at Sunrise and a couple of the 2010 40' Orions with high mileage.

Thank you.
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Look for most (if not all) of the 40' buses to go to Twin Forks Transit. To be used on the S-92. They will probably replace all the 2005 35' Gilligs (6) at Sunrise and a couple of the 2010 40" Orions with high mileage.

Do you think they would actually retire Twin Forks high mileage 40" Orions or just transfer them to a company that has a low mileage route for them?

I figured the S92 had a lot of miles to it, I'm just surprised that it had so many miles that it could mileage out a few 2010's already.

I'm wondering if they would send some of the 40 ft Orions to EBT for the S54? I think you told me Mac that they were operating 40 Fters on the S54 and I remember seeing #1001-1002 on the S33 when it was Inter-County's route.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TransitMan wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

I'm wondering if they would send some of the 40 ft Orions to EBT for the S54? I think you told me Mac that they were operating 40 Fters on the S54 and I remember seeing #1001-1002 on the S33 when it was Inter-County's route.

EBT has used 40ft's on the S54. Though I'm not sure if that is a permanent thing or if the driver was assigned that bus just for the day or the drivers schudle had them doing another route before hand were they had or needed the 40ft bus.

A 40ft is still used on the S33. I have seen a photo of 1008 or 1009 used on that route.

I am not familiar with how EBT assigns buses. Since 40ft buses have seemed to be used on all their routes, not that long ago someone spotted a 40ft on the S20.

The use of 40ft buses on other routes by EBT is one reason why I wondered if some of Twin Fork's 40ft Orions were to be replaced, would they actually be retired or just transferred to EBT if they have any lower mileage routes that could use a 40ft bus.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received confirmation that all ten of the new 40' New Flyer Xcelsior buses will be coming to Sunrise Coach Lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: