BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA Bus Rodeo 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: MTA Bus Rodeo 2016 Reply with quote

IMG_5033 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5038 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5045 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5046 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5048 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5049 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5050 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5051 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5052 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5055 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5057 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5059 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5060 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5061 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5065 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5068 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5090 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5083 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5100 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5105 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5108 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5110 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5112 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5120 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5123 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5125 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5128 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5130 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5142 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_5152 by GojiMet86, on Flickr
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots....thanks for posting them!

BTW, I've always wondered what that small amber light on the front of the RTS bus, just above the right headlamp cluster was for, but forgot to ever ask....anyone know?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

BTW, I've always wondered what that small amber light on the front of the RTS bus, just above the right headlamp cluster was for, but forgot to ever ask....anyone know?

That is the transmission retarder light. The TMC RTS started trans retarders for the PBL's.
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
traildriver wrote:

That is the transmission retarder light. The TMC RTS started trans retarders for the PBL's.

Are we talking about the same thing? That little light below the numeral '7' on the Queens Surface RTS?

I would think the function of a retarder light would be similar to brake lights on the rear of the vehicle, to warn following traffic of slowing down....
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

Are we talking about the same thing? That little light below the numeral '7' on the Queens Surface RTS?

I would think the function of a retarder light would be similar to brake lights on the rear of the vehicle, to warn following traffic of slowing down....

We are talking about the same light. It indicates whether the retarder power is on or off. A dispatcher sees the light and tells you to turn the retarder on.

On the back of the TMC RTS there were retards applied lights. Those would be 2 amber round lights to the left and right of the 3rd or center brake light on the a/c cover. Those would flash when the drivers foot let the accelerator pedal fully up and the brake pedal was not applied. They were being removed and the hole filled once MTABC came about, not sure if they are on the museum buses and if they work.

And just for the record, I did work on these buses.
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...thanks for that explanation. It shows how really little I know of transit bus operations.
It seems bizarre to me that a dispatcher should tell a driver to turn on the retarder....why not just have the bus built to always have it on, if that's their practice?

We have either retarder's or engine brakes on our coaches, but it is strictly up to the driver's discretion in their use...especially in icy roads conditions...
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Interesting...thanks for that explanation. It shows how really little I know of transit bus operations.
It seems bizarre to me that a dispatcher should tell a driver to turn on the retarder....why not just have the bus built to always have it on, if that's their practice?

We have either retarder's or engine brakes on our coaches, but it is strictly up to the driver's discretion in their use...especially in icy roads conditions...

And with traction control and ABS you shouldn't need to turn it off. The RTS had neither.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the photos again, I can tell you QSC 275 is not a GMC RTS-04 as the book shows. It is a TMC RTS-06, as is JBI 3865. GBL 10001 is a GMC RTS-04.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
traildriver wrote:

And with traction control and ABS you shouldn't need to turn it off. The RTS had neither.

Good point....
Another reason for turning it off, is to give passenger's a smoother ride, and also in the case of engine brakes, to make less noise when traveling thru city streets, especially small towns late at night...
I only use them when descending longer hills....
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Looking at the photos again, I can tell you QSC 275 is not a GMC RTS-04 as the book shows. It is a TMC RTS-06, as is JBI 3865. GBL 10001 is a GMC RTS-04.

Lol, I didn't catch the first time looking at the book. I was more interested in finding if the Command RTS CNG bus #4904 was in the book.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GojiMet86 wrote:
Lol, I didn't catch the first time looking at the book. I was more interested in finding if the Command RTS CNG bus #4904 was in the book.

Come one, you can't bait and dodge like that. Is 4904 in there?

The problem with that bus is to make it run and drive, they would need to replace the CNG tanks, very costly.
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
GojiMet86 wrote:

Come one, you can't bait and dodge like that. Is 4904 in there?

The problem with that bus is to make it run and drive, they would need to replace the CNG tanks, very costly.

I went a couple of pages before this employee gave me the stink eye, so I was not able to see if it was indeed there.

However, a year ago an employee on Facebook gave this info:

Quote:
Okay this is for those who inquired about 4904.
Okay, so here is the scoop on this bus:
Seen here is a 1993-1994 TMC RTS T-80206 CNG. Unit # 4904. One of the first CNG Production RTS' that actually made it past 1 or 2 buses. 4904 is 1 of 2 Units that actually had an Computerized Engine. In other words, 1 of 2 prototypes that Required a Computer to diagnose Problems. All other units were Analog Engines. When this unit was retired, it was saved as a museum piece. With that being said, let me say this:
There are 1 of 3 mechanics still left at Spring Creek depot, Formerly Known as Command Bus Company, that is actually able to work on this bus. The last person to drive this bus was 1 of those 3 mechanics, who to say the least, loved this particular bus. He was assigned to take this bus to Grand Avenue Depot's Central Maintenance Facility to get some work done to it. The bus was DRIVEN to the CMF by the mechanic. The bus only needed new batteries and it started up like it's been running in service everyday. Only issue with the bus was an exhaust leak, which was easily fixable. After driving the bus for more than an hour, he said there was absolutely no flaws (besides the exhaust leak) with it. It drove like a dream. After dropping it off, he went on vacation. When he came back, the bus was BACK at Spring Creek. He went to see what was done to the bus and that's when he noticed the bus was taken apart and TOWED back to the depot, as it would not start and/or run. After trying to figure out what exactly was done to it for over a year, he gave up on it and now it sits it's fate in the very same spot you see it in now. What is going to happen to this bus in the future? I have no clue.
So there ya have it. Information for the inquiring minds out there who wanted to know and asked this question, including myself "what ever happened to that 4904??" There's your answer!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: