BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yonkers buses, past and present
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue and grey paint scheme on Club Transportation became of interest when I noticed on S-60's Vintage Westchester County roster that about 21 of Club's buses came from Blue-and-Grey Corp of NJ.
----
A 1965 obituary for Denis Gallagher linked HERE explains that he and his brother began operating a bus in Passaic, New Jersey, in 1924. Over the years, he ran bus lines in ten cities from NY to Florida. He formed Club Transportation in Westchester County in 1945, taking over the routes of Suburban Bus Co.
---
I am surmising that he owned Blue and Grey in New Jersey, and that Club only had to reletter the buses when received from Blue and Grey.
---
I notice similarities in three photos in BusTalk Galleries:
Community Coach 95 of Passaic.
Coast Cities Coach 225, maybe in Asbury Park.
Club Transportation 404 on Nereid Avenue, The Bronx.
---
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joe McMahon
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
The blue and grey paint scheme on Club Transportation became of interest when I noticed on S-60's Vintage Westchester County roster that about 21 of Club's buses came from Blue-and-Grey Corp of NJ.
----
A 1965 obituary for Denis Gallagher linked HERE explains that he and his brother began operating a bus in Passaic, New Jersey, in 1924. Over the years, he ran bus lines in ten cities from NY to Florida. He formed Club Transportation in Westchester County in 1945, taking over the routes of Suburban Bus Co.
---
I am surmising that he owned Blue and Grey in New Jersey, and that Club only had to reletter the buses when received from Blue and Grey.
---
I notice similarities in three photos in BusTalk Galleries:
Community Coach 95 of Passaic.
Coast Cities Coach 225, maybe in Asbury Park.
Club Transportation 404 on Nereid Avenue, The Bronx.
---
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joe McMahon

Coast Cities Coach may have been related to Blue and Grey somehow because I googled Blue and Grey (NJ) buses and the OMOT production list for GM SDM5302 comes up and there is a listing for a 1963 SDM5303 #501 for Blue & Grey Corporation/Coast Cities Coaches (NJ)

Last edited by S-60 To Smith Haven Mall on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximate year? Previously identified by New York Omnibus 2629 as a Yellow 743.
Note the source in the link below.
The Greyhound to New York is coming south on Old Nepperhan Avenue, where it joins Nepperhan Avenue. The #5 trolley in 1940's paint scheme is headed for Getty Square and the Foot of Main Street. It has just left side-of-the-road trackage. I presume that Greyhound had no franchise problems with the City of Yonkers, as it probably had a bus station or bus agent near Getty Square, the city center.
http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarst020.htm
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has three photos taken from the same spot. The third photo will be a link.
Reminder of Bernacchia Bros. by sphoto33, on Flickr
Looking southbound on Nepperhan Avenue we see a bus stop for a bus line that began in the early 1930's with operation by two Bernacchia Brothers, who went on to found Liberty Lines. They had to steer clear of the trolley franchises, so they served the streets of North Yonkers, remaining on the hilltop, but zig-zagging as seen on the northbound trip on the North Yonkers Loop #9 bus. It now returns south on Nepperhan Avenue, a street on which in the 1930's they could not have collected fares because of the #5 trolley. Their buses were marked simply NORTH YONKERS or HASTINGS.
---
Yonkers buses by sphoto33, on Flickr
The same bus stop, but looking at the #5 map. Route H of Westchester Street Transportation Company, running from White Plains to Yonkers, came south on Saw Mill River Road (the long vertical line on the map) all the way to Ashburton Avenue. Sometime after the #5 trolley ceased operation, Route H was combined with Route 5 at this point, using the Odell Avenue bridge in the rear of the photo.
---
Below is a link to a 1940's photo at the same location. The Odell Avenue bridge crosses the Saw Mill River, its Parkway, and the Putnam Division. It is fitted with wooden parkway street lighting, gallows-style. At the right one may see a trolley signal almost where the northbound #5 bus stop now is.
LINK HERE
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, would someone indicate the model of the Westchester Street Transportation Company Mack IN THIS PHOTO?
Thank you.
---
In July of 1952, the bankrupt Yonkers Railroad used the worry of poor track condition to abandon service on 1.8 miles of side-of-the-road operation on Nepperhan Avenue. The company attempted to cover the service by rerouting Route H buses from parallel Saw Mill River Road. The trolley motormen complained that they were being replaced by drivers of another subsidiary of Third Avenue Railway System, namely Westchester Street Railway Company.
---
Thanks to S-60 for his list of buses owned by Westchester Street Transportation, including three 1949 Macks C-37-GT; three 1951 Macks C-33-GT; and twenty-five Macks C-45-DT. I notice the red Mack shield under the windshield. Is that a clue as to model?
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Please, would someone indicate the model of the Westchester Street Transportation Company Mack IN THIS PHOTO?
Thank you.
---
In July of 1952, the bankrupt Yonkers Railroad used the worry of poor track condition to abandon service on 1.8 miles of side-of-the-road operation on Nepperhan Avenue. The company attempted to cover the service by rerouting Route H buses from parallel Saw Mill River Road. The trolley motormen complained that they were being replaced by drivers of another subsidiary of Third Avenue Railway System, namely Westchester Street Railway Company.
---
Thanks to S-60 for his list of buses owned by Westchester Street Transportation, including three 1949 Macks C-37-GT; three 1951 Macks C-33-GT; and twenty-five Macks C-45-DT. I notice the red Mack shield under the windshield. Is that a clue as to model?

N4 Jamaica,

The round red Mack Bull Dog badge under the windshield did not appear until the mid fifties so I would have to say that according to WST records the bus in the photo was possibly a 1955 C-41-DT numbered 4000 which was in demo service.

As far as rostered WST Macks go I do see the three 1949 C-37- GT's numbered 85, 86 & 87, but no 1951 C-33-GT's (for 1951 I do see 26 C-41-DT's numbered 92 to 116) and no order for any C-45-DT's.

The above information culled from the October 1970 issue of Motor Coach Age exclusively covering the history of Westchester Street Transportation.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Mr. Linksy!
Because of the date of the newspaper, I obviously made a bad guess of what was beneath the windshield.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
Thank you.
---
---

N4 Jamaica,

The round red Mack Bull Dog badge under the windshield did not appear until the mid fifties so I would have to say that according to WST records the bus in the photo was possibly a 1955 C-41-DT numbered 4000 which was in demo service.

As far as rostered WST Macks go I do see the three 1949 C-37- GT's numbered 85, 86 & 87, but no 1951 C-33-GT's (for 1951 I do see 26 C-41-DT's numbered 92 to 116) and no order for any C-45-DT's.

The above information culled from the October 1970 issue of Motor Coach Age exclusively covering the history of Westchester Street Transportation.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr.L , My list has Westchester Street Transportation as having two 1951 C-33-GT's numbered 88 and 89.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
Thank you.
---
---

N4 Jamaica,

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr.L , My list has Westchester Street Transportation as having two 1951 C-33-GT's numbered 88 and 89.

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

We are both on the same page here! - I do see #'s 88 and 89 as you describe but listed in MCA as 1950's.

However, Mack production lists show two demo C-33-GT's numbered 88 and 89 delivered to WST in March of 1951.

I would tend to take the Mack list as gospel because occasional errors in MCA's reports are not uncommon.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
Thank you.
---
---

N4 Jamaica,

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

We are both on the same page here! - I do see #'s 88 and 89 as you describe but listed in MCA as 1950's.

However, Mack production lists show two demo C-33-GT's numbered 88 and 89 delivered to WST in March of 1951.

I would tend to take the Mack list as gospel because occasional errors in MCA's reports are not uncommon.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Ah, so #88 and 89 were demos. I don't think that was mentioned on whatever it was that I had seen, or if it was I missed it.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 78 Bee-Line route did not have a private-company predecessor, as it serves two new out-of-the-way shopping centers and connects both to Getty Square and the important route 20 on Central Park Avenue. Sixty years ago, the retail hub of Yonkers suffered competition from its first suburban mall, Cross County Center. That mall was built at the southeast quadrant of an important highway cloverleaf, where the Cross-County Parkway leaps the New York State Thruway. Club Transportation easily added service to the mall, with the frequent route 20 (north-south) and the busy, but less frequent east-west route 25.
---
Maybe ten years ago, yielding to a search for more retail and office development, the City of Yonkers approved construction atop two hard-to-reach ridges flanking the New York State Thruway, namely Ridge Hill (on the east flank) and Stew Leonard's and Costco on the west flank. Somebody coaxed the Thruway to build an exit for them. In a Y-shaped route, this bus first climbs one hill, then the other, and then uses the Thruway for a mile to Tuckahoe Road and reaches downtown Yonkers. The Limited Stops on the sign refers to the "express" mile on the Thruway. The service is half-hourly or a bit worse.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 78 Bee-Line route did not have a private-company predecessor, as it serves two new out-of-the-way shopping centers and connects both to Getty Square and the important route 20 on Central Park Avenue. Sixty years ago, the retail hub of Yonkers suffered competition from its first suburban mall, Cross County Center. That mall was built at the southeast quadrant of an important highway cloverleaf, where the Cross-County Parkway leaps the New York State Thruway. Club Transportation easily added service to the mall, with the frequent route 20 (north-south) and the busy, but less frequent east-west route 25.
---
Maybe ten years ago, yielding to a search for more retail and office development, the City of Yonkers approved construction atop two hard-to-reach ridges flanking the New York State Thruway, namely Ridge Hill (on the east flank) and Stew Leonard's and Costco on the west flank. Somebody coaxed the Thruway to build an exit for them. In a Y-shaped route, this bus first climbs one hill, then the other, and then uses the Thruway for a mile to Tuckahoe Road and reaches downtown Yonkers. The Limited Stops on the sign refers to the "express" mile on the Thruway. The service is half-hourly or a bit worse.[/b][/quote]

N4 Jamaica,

Nice photo - #272 has one of the new issue New York license plates and it looks very special.

I am unable to read it clearly - other than the numbers, can you tell me what it says? (I'm a bit of a New York license plate buff!).

Thanks and regards,

Mr. 'L'
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,
I also cannot read it, even looking at the original photo. It enlarges to a blur. As I pass through Yonkers weekly, I will try to get a close-up. These plates are new replacements that declare the governmental agency that owns the vehicle and, I believe, thereby avoids registration fees.
---
Here is a BusChat thread about the spelling of the word Transportation:
http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=297429
---
Joe
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of license plates, these are photos from today, Sept. 30, 2014.

---

---

---
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most interesting photo of two new Yonkers Bus Company from the Herald Statesman of August 18, 1945, appears in this thread:

Link: HERE

An earlier article, on August 14, said they were Reos.
Thanks.
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: