BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACF Roster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACFCity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: ACF Roster Reply with quote

Is there an ACF Bus Historic Roster? I just became the owner of a 1933 ACF City Bus (unrestored and missing a lot of parts) and am looking for other owners of early 1930's ACF Busses.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACFCity,

Welcome to BusTalk - glad to have you aboard.

You might want to see the following entitled 'Bus Rosters on the Web' at;
http://www.oocities.org/~buslist/Delivery.html

You may also attempt to contact the author of the list directly at the email address at the bottom of the roster page.

The Motor Bus Society Directory of Preserved Coaches (10/89) shows only a handful of early 30's ACF's which are mostly held by transportation museums.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
ACFCity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: ACF Roster Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,
Thank you for your reply. I'll have a look.

I'll also try to get some photos of the one that I have posted here.
ACFCity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: 1933 ACF Reply with quote

Attached are a few photos of the 1933? ACF H-12-S

There is no date on the data plate, unless the first two numbers in the engine number are the year it was made.

DSCN0876.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.15 KB
 Viewed:  37107 Time(s)

DSCN0876.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.24 KB

DSCN0871.JPG

DSCN0877.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.05 KB

DSCN0877.JPG

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACFCity,

There's certainly something to work with here but it's going to be a long haul!

I think that one of the most difficult restorations will be the roof which, in the era, was still steam bent plywood covered in 'traffic top' roofing on most buses.

Do you have any inkling as to where the bus originated from? - both New York City based Queens/Nassau Transit Lines and Staten Island Coach Company did use the model.

I can tell you that there's a fair chance that your H-12-S came from one of the two mentioned operators because they had numbers of them and only 49 were built in 1933 with only 242 manufactured altogether between 1933 and 1936.

When you're ready for it, just send me your Builder's Plate and I'll make it look like brand new for you in my work shop (no charge).

Attached is photo of Staten Island #141.

Regards and good luck,

Mr. 'L'

ACFCity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: 1933 ACF Roof Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,
Thank you for your reply and photo.

The Roof should not be too difficult. The Model AA Delivery had a roof that was made of similar construction. The metal cross bows are all there and the longitutudinal wood strips are not too difficult to form because they are thin and narrow. There are enough of the wooden cross bows to make patterns and the wood on the very front and the very rear at the roof radius is all in tact. All of the interior white frosted dome lights are in excellent condition and I have all of the exterior light lenses and one of the tail light lenses. The tail light lens screws onto the housing. The glass lens has threads that are part of the glass lens. It was able to be removed with a lot of patience and penetrating oil. All of the running light lenses are red glass with the exception of the two top front facing lenses that are amber. The front door entrance step light and lens is still there and the WATCH YOUR STEP plate is still on the bus. The ACF name plate came with the Bus as well.

It will be a lengthy project, but will eventually be worth the effort. The frame under the body is in very good condition and the entire rear bumper is in excellent condition.

I would like to find a sponsor or sponsors to help with the restoration. The bus could be used for promotional events or for a vehicle in the motion picture industry.

DSCN0873.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.08 KB
 Viewed:  37076 Time(s)

DSCN0873.JPG

DSCN0858.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.01 KB

DSCN0858.JPG

DSCN0856.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.32 KB

DSCN0856.JPG

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACFCity,

As Lt. Columbo used to say; "Oh, just one more thing"

If all else fails just make a service car out of it as did Staten Island Coach as seen below.

BTW; notice the original clever windshield wiper arrangement in which wipers for two different windows swivel off the same transmission!

Photo courtesy of the Queens Borough Public Library.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

ACFCity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: 1933 ACF Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,
THANKS!!! Those are great photos you attached.

My bus was found about 20 miles south of Columbia, S.C.

Do you know if there are any records of the bus fleet in Columbia or Charleston, S.C. that used ACF H-12-S busses.

I found a 1932 ACF ad and this bus looks exactly like the one in the ad.

I'll get it scanned and see if it can be posted here.

The red bus body is a 1930 Wayne School bus body for the 121" wheelbase Model AA Ford or Chevrolet chassis.

DSCN0878.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.51 KB
 Viewed:  37052 Time(s)

DSCN0878.JPG

DSCN0872.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.19 KB
 Viewed:  37052 Time(s)

DSCN0872.JPG

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACFCity,

If the bus in the 1932 ad was exactly like yours then it would have to have been a 1933 because that was the first year that the H-09-S and H-12-S styles were built.

Here is a very partial list of H-12-S operators other than Queens/Nassau and Staten Island Coach;

Harrisburg Railways - Harrisburg, Pa. with 39
Chicago and Calumet District Transit Co. - Chicago, Ill with 28
Evanston & Niles Center Transit - Evanston, Ill. with 7

Unfortunately, very little else in the way of information is available.

BTW; Yellow/GM used Faraday Buzzer systems both for passenger signals and mechanical warning conditions.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
rsauer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: ACF Roster Reply with quote

I have an ACF delivery list which shows that the bus is a 1934 model that was manufactured for Columbia Railway, Gas and Electric Company in Columbia, S.C. as their 43.
I wrote a history of Harrisburg Railways in a 1968 Motor Coach Age. Harrisburg had H-12's.

Bob Sauer
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsauer,

Welcome to BusTalk - glad to have you aboard.

Happy that you were able to solve ACFCity's identification problem,

A little more research on my part came up with four H-12-S's (two 1933's and two 1934's) for Utica City Lines division of New York State Railways.

If you could scan your pre war ACF production lists for us that would be really great.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
rsauer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

It is good to be aboard Bus Talk. Lots of good bus stuff on the site. I really liked your Reading Bus Co. postings.

Unfortunately, I have had a problem scanning the lists and cannot do so at this time.

Best regards,

Bob
ACFCity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: 1934 ACF Reply with quote

Below are attachments of the October 15, 1932 ACF Ad with a H-12 Bus. The ad is from a Transit Journal publication.

My dad may have ridden on that bus. He is 87 and lived in Columbia after WW2.

Bob, could you make a photo copy of the Delivery List you have and mail a copy to me. I will be glad to make payment for your effort.

Also, if you still have access to the Harrisburg Railroad study you made in 1968, I would like a copy of that as well. Send an email to aaford157@nosford.com

Eric Moore

DSCN0931.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.63 KB
 Viewed:  36891 Time(s)

DSCN0931.JPG

DSCN0932.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.33 KB
 Viewed:  36891 Time(s)

DSCN0932.JPG

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., let's go all out with Vintage ACF!

Bee Line of Rockville Centre New York (no relation to The Bee Line System of Westchester) was a major Long Island operator and, in fact, was the anchor of the Jamaica Hub until dethroned by North Shore Bus Co. in the mid thirties.

Aside from having two very lucrative transit routes between Nassau County and Jamaica, the company's Long Island Tours division, created in 1931, served charter on the Island and beyond and was among the first ever to run luxury commuter 'Express' service to Manhattan (a novelty at the time).

As an avid ACF customer, Bee Line purchased thirty eight of the company's 'top of the line' Hall-Scott powered P-64's in 1931 painted in purple and gold as seen below.

Unfortunately, the New York commuter and charter services dropped off substantially in the post depression era and the P-64's were sold off mostly to Jersey operators by 1933.

Photo courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is a copy of an ACF ad undoubtedly from Bus Transportation Magazine announcing the arrival of a more modern version of the company's H 9 and 12 S's for 1935.

Shown in the blurb is fleet #400 - a 29 passenger ACF Model H-15-S in demonstration service for the then Reading Street Railway Company of Reading, Pennsylvania (one of many corporate names preceding Reading Bus Company).

Apparently, the property liked the model enough to purchase nine H-13-S's and one additional H-15-S in 1935.

The only visible difference between the H-15 and earlier versions was the engine radiator which was resigned to blend with the contours of the body.

The ad has what I believe to be a glaring error; while ACF allied itself with J.G. Brill of Philadelphia in the early thirties, I don't believe that the 'Brill' marque appeared as part of the badge until a new line was introduced after the war.

Credit with frame.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: