BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NY] Albany-Schenectady BRT BusPlus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: [NY] Albany-Schenectady BRT BusPlus Reply with quote

On a brief trip along Central Avenue, Albany, Colonie, and Midway, I came across the new BusPlus "stations," an enlarged version of bus shelters. It's almost two years since Capital District Transportation Authority purchased special buses for BRT service on Central Avenue, 17 miles from downtown Albany to downtown Schenectady. It is operated as Route 905, and the intercity local service has been cut in two, with transfers at Wolf Road.
----
If the R in BRT means Rapid, has this change meant genuine improvement in running time? Have any traffic signals been modified for bus priority?
Thanks.
Joe McMahon
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the capital region last month, I did notice that several of the intersections in Schenectady do have special bus priority signals which allow a bus in the right-hand lane to proceed through the intersection ahead of regular traffic. I did not see any similar signals near downtown Albany, but I may have missed them.

Jim D.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has happened in so many U. S. cities, the retail stores have long ago abandoned downtown Albany and moved outside the city limits. This BusPlus station is probably an important transfer point, but I have not yet found on the CDTA website a guide to connections between routes.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:

As has happened in so many U. S. cities, the retail stores have long ago abandoned downtown Albany and moved outside the city limits. This BusPlus station is probably an important transfer point, but I have not yet found on the CDTA website a guide to connections between routes.

I agree that the CDTA doesn't do a good job of showing the inter-connectivity between the BusPlus route and the other bus routes. The 905 schedule shows a rapid transit-style route map with stations listed but no connections or key transfer points shown.

For those interested, here is a CDTA brochure showing the planned BusPlus system with the two additional lines that are currently in the planning process - the Purple Line (Washington and Westerns Avenues) and the Blue Line (the 'River Corridor' to Troy and Cohoes):

https://www.cdta.org/uploads/BusPlus_Brochure_2013_LowRes.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: