BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'OUR NEWEST ARRIVALS!'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: 'OUR NEWEST ARRIVALS!' Reply with quote

Thanks to Bryan Cooper of GM Old Look Bus, we see the photos below taken after the arrival back in New York of two classic coaches dating from the very beginnings of modern rubber wheeled transportation in the Big Apple.

In the top shot we glimpse a side view of fleet number 327 - a 1935 Yellow Coach Model 718 and representing one of 366 (1 to 366) of the very first ever buses purchased by the newly operational New York City Omnibus Corporation.

The 718's were the first Yellow's to feature transversely mounted rear engines - a concept that is still standard in the industry.

The center and bottom images are differing angles of fleet number 1592 - a 1936 Yellow Coach Model 731 and one of 100 (1500 to 1599) also delivered to the New York City Omnibus Corporation.

Considering the age of these buses, their conditions are amazing and can be attributed to their all aluminum bodies (although I can't vouch for the shapes in which their steam bent plywood roofs are in!).

Regardless, they can be restored to original but not at the present time - serious budget cuts at the MTA have mothballed the entire Museum fleet indefinitely - not to worry though, they are safe and secure.

Both 327 and 1592 had spent much of the past six decades as guests of the National Museum of Transportation in St. Louis.

The addition of these coaches to the fleet will even more solidify New York's museum as the largest and best of its kind in the country.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those buses are true gems - hopefully they will be fully restored when the TA's fiscal situation improves.
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the Museum of Transport here in St. Louis countless times and remember seeing these buses many years ago. At that time, only rail related equipment were on display whereas many of the buses were kept in outdoor storage. This was long before the county took over back in the '80 and with an infusion of county funds, new covered storage facilities were built which helped tremendously to stop the furthering deterioration of these vehicles. It's a shame on how the weather has taken it's toll on many of these historic vehicles.

I'm glad to see these two have found their way home to where they really belong! I'm looking forward to the day we can see them fully restored.

Frankie
yc720_06

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Our newest arrivals Reply with quote

It's fantastic to see a surviving 718 and 731, but I'm puzzled about where they were kept when I visited The Museum of Transportation last June. The only Fifth Avenue buses I saw were the two Z types, 1234 and 1235, the former having been very badly restored, with little concern for authenticity. 1235 and QM 1215 were fortunately still in their original state if not condition. They're under cover at an off site facility, which I suppose is to be thankful for, but it's unlikely they'll be restored, much less displayed in the forseeable future because of a lack of funds. I thought at the time that they would both make great additions to the MTA historic fleet, on a permanent loan basis, especially the open topper, but with the mothballing of the existing MTA fleet that seems wishful thinking just now. I'm going to upload some photos taken at St Louis but I'm not sure how to link them to the discussion. See for example the four I uploaded of 2124 under major rebuild last week, which aren't linked. Could someone please offer guidance?
yc720_06

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to upload 4 photos of FAC 2015 and 1235 last night but when I clicked on 'add to album' I kept getting an' Error 500 - Internal server error
An internal server error has occured! Please try again later.' The file sizes were ok but despite repeated attempts last night and tonight I get the same message. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yc720,

I hope you eventually do get the photos over here because they sound interesting.

I wish I could advise you as to what to do but I am unfamiliar with the problem you describe.

Hopefully, one of the computer mavens on the site will lend a hand.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the photos that you downloaded to your computer are JPEG files. I would also suggest Photobuckets to store your photos and then download them from there to the forum.

Frankie
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can e-mail the photos to me at ripta42@yahoo.com and I'll get them up.
yc720_06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Problems uploading photos Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who offered help and guidance negotiating the upload minefield. I swear the older I get the dumber I get :( I finally made it though and hope the photos will be of interest to fellow busophiles.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems uploading photos Reply with quote

yc720_06 wrote:
I swear the older I get the dumber I get Sad I finally made it though and hope the photos will be of interest to fellow busophiles.

It's not you or your age. I get that message all the time. Then all of a sudden it works great.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it too and I run the place. Great photos! I moved them into the FACCo/NYCO album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: