BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE HAMBURGER EXPRESS!'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: 'THE HAMBURGER EXPRESS!' Reply with quote

Every so often, I come up with an 'off the wall' job and tonight is no exception!

Pictured somewhere in Ontario, Canada (date unknown) is the 'Burger Bus' which is very probably an early fifties GM Model TGH 3101 or 3102.

These little coaches, which resembled their heavy duty counterparts but were constructed much differently on truck chassis, boasted HydraMatic transmissions coupled with 270 cubic inch Chevrolet power plants and were generally meant for low volume routes.

While they became very popular as mobile medical clinics and bookmobiles, not too many wound up in second lives as Burger Kings!

Aside from modifying the doorways, our burger bus exterior appears to be pretty much original.

Who knows? someday someone may restore it.

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food trucks are the latest craze in the culinary world, it seems. Food Network is wrapping up the first season of The Great Food Truck Road Race and there are already dozens of trucks vying to participate in a planned second season. Most of the trucks seem to be converted panel vans (or more likely built for the purpose) but I’ve seen at least one ‘food truck’ that was built from an old Airstream trailer. It would be pretty cool if someone figured out a way to build one using a transit bus.

On a side note - shortly after arriving in Buffalo for college a few weeks ago, my son discovered a taco truck that sets up shop each weekday alongside the Metro Rail tracks in downtown Buffalo. He gave their food a big thumbs up, and I’m looking forward to trying it out myself if I can arrange a weekday visit to see him sometime.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Food trucks are the latest craze in the culinary world, it seems. Food Network is wrapping up the first season of The Great Food Truck Road Race and there are already dozens of trucks vying to participate in a planned second season. Most of the trucks seem to be converted panel vans (or more likely built for the purpose) but I’ve seen at least one ‘food truck’ that was built from an old Airstream trailer. It would be pretty cool if someone figured out a way to build one using a transit bus.

On a side note - shortly after arriving in Buffalo for college a few weeks ago, my son discovered a taco truck that sets up shop each weekday alongside the Metro Rail tracks in downtown Buffalo. He gave their food a big thumbs up, and I’m looking forward to trying it out myself if I can arrange a weekday visit to see him sometime.

As a young child, my mother took me to the Catskills to a bungalow colony for two weeks. I remember that we had a room in a cabin along with rooms for other families and we ate in a central dining room in the main house. Every day a step van would come down the road selling Carvel ice cream. What made this truck different from a regular step van was that the back was customized to look like the old Carvel drive-ins.

Another, off-topic memory, was that an older fellow took me fishing on the lake with poles made of tree branches. Didn't think much of until about 20 years later when a freighter sank in the Mississippi River and two crew men were lost. This kid was one of them.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Burger Bus isn't the only one like it!

Pictured below (top) is Tom's Texas Hots, Steak Sandwiches, Italian Coffee and Ice Cream Shop in a converted GM TDH 3501.

Pretty good shape for a rolling diner! - photo taken July 1988 (notice the ventilation systems at the rear top and side).

If you think the 'Great Food Truck Road Race' is something on the Food Network, you have to see the 'Great Food Truck War' each day at lunchtime along Wilshire Boulevard just east of the Beverly Hills limits.

It's wall to wall (as seen below) and virtually putting conventional eateries on the strip out of business.

These truck, affectionately called 'Roach Coaches', come in every color of the rainbow and serve pretty good basic food from what I'm told.

Unfortunately, I don't buy from them because they don't know what a rare roast beef on a hero with iceberg lettuce and real Hellman's mayonnaise is - I guess they've never been to New York!

Top photo credited within.
Bottom photo courtesy of the L.A. Times.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom's Texas Hots is in Binghamton, New York and is now a full-fledged restaurant (or maybe it already was and had the bus as a mobile unit). According to one review I read online, there is a photo of this bus in the current restaurant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: