BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Joined

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Just Joined Reply with quote

Glad to find this site. I have actually been looking for a site like this for a while now. What attracted me to this site in particular was a link to UTC buses in RI. For those who are not familiar, UTC stands for the United Transit Company based in Providence, RI. It is now RIPTA.

What first got me interested in buses was my grandfather. He worked for the old UER (United Electric Railway) which later became the UTC from about 1918 to 1957. Even though I started pretty young, I didn't start riding buses regularly till about 1963.

Would be interested in hearing from other members that have interest or stories from the old UTC days.

Bill
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I'm certain that our administrator Ripta42 will be very interested in your contributions.

Anyway, welcome to BusTalk and we look forward to your valued experiences and input.

Again; welcome aboard.

Mr. 'L'
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. L

I like your avatar.

Were the buses in your area Manuals or Automatics back in the Old Look days?

Bill
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr. UTC Bus Fan.

Like Mr. Linsky, let me welcome you to this board. I hope that you will not only enjoy reading and learning about buses, but will also contribute so that we all can increase our knowledge of buses.

Since my friend Mr. L, hasn't gotten to his computer yet, let me advise you that he is a walking fountain of information about Green Bus Lines. His father was an investor in the company and he drove summer relief for them in the 1950's while in college.

One time I sent him a private e-mail about a driver I remembered my my main route (Q-60). He responded that it could only have been (name withheld) on that route. Took me 50+ years to learn the man's name but Mr. L knew it.

I would look in the New York City category for topics with GBL in the title as well as Transit Bus Manufacturers category to get a feel for the man's knowledge and his desire to share it with the next generation

Hart Bus
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hart Bus.

I'll have to check out that forum.

Also welcome anything I could offer on the RI line. It will be no where near Mr L's contributions though.

Bill
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally not at a loss for words but can think of nothing to say to my good friend Hart Bus except to thank him so much for his accolades.

If I'm good at what I do here at BusTalk it's because I love the place, the people I work with and the subject so much.

There is such a 'professionalism' among our ranks and that makes me so proud!

For Bill; my Avatar is Green Line # 937 - a 1947 GM Model TDH 4507 and the image was taken in front of the main garage by a company photographer.

All post war Green Line buses were equipped with fully automatic transmissions.

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'

UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr L,

Thanks for the full size picture. That bus is just about exact, if not totally exact, to what we used to have on the UTC line in Pawtucket. The Providence line got the longer buses as shown on the RI site that has the link to it here.

We too had the automatic transmissions. As probably your buses too, they were 2-Speeds. I used to like how they shifted. My grandfather told me of the manuals they had before then, but I was just a little too young to remember. Back in the '60's 99% of all trucks had manuals. When I would tell my friends that the buses were automatics, many would not believe me. I would tell them to take a ride or just listen to one when it goes by and you will see, but many still would not believe me. They seemed to be pretty tough though, but when they had a full load, plus many standee's, and the bus was close to the top of "Constitution Hill" in Providence, stuck at a red light, I'd be a little concerned if they would get the job done, but they did.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: