BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BYE BYE SUOZZI = CHANGES FOR NASSAU
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scatman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: BYE BYE SUOZZI = CHANGES FOR NASSAU Reply with quote

DONT BE SURPRISED IF U SEE ALL LI BUSES ROLLING WITH SOLID BLUE STRIPES NEXT YEAR
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am a resident of neighboring Suffolk County and could not have voted in the election, I felt that Suozzi had overstayed his welcome and had started to look toward higher office. That is why his job performance had started to slip. He acknowleged that the Democrats didn't do very well in getting out the vote. I think that is one measure of his complacency.

Enough of my soapbox. I don't wuite uderstand your comment about the older buses losing their orange stripe. Do you mean that they will be repainted? That will be a waste of money. Do you mean that there will be funding for new equipment and expansion? That would make sense. Don't forget that the newest Nassau buses don't carry the orange stripe anymore.
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: orange stripes Reply with quote

OBVIOUSLY U DONT KNOW WHAT WENT DOWN IN NASSAU IN 2009. U DRIVE FOR HART THERE HARTBUS? UNDER THE THE ADMINISTRATIVE CONSOLIDATION OF LI BUS INTO THE MTA FAMILY IN 2008, THE MGMT BEGAN BRINGING ALL OF LIBUS UP TO MTA STANDARDS AND THAT INCLUDED THE REPAINTING OF SEVERAL OF THE OLDER WEHICLES WITHOUT THE ORANGE STRIPE. WHEN SUOZZI SAW OR GOT WIND OF BUSES (OLDER BUSES) APPARENTLY OWNED BY NASSAU RIDING AROUND W/O THE ORANGE STRIPE - HE THREW A FIT AND THEY PUT THE STRIPE BACK. U CAN SEE 1568 ON U TUBE. 1602 I THINK ALSO AND 1626. DOUBT MANGANO IS GONNA GIVE A SHIT ABOUT TRANSIT AT ALL WHICH IS GOOD AND BAD SO HE'S MORE LIKELY TO JUST SIT BACK AND LET THE MTA DO WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT WITH THE BUSES IF IT SAVES MONEY ---INCLUDING OPENING THE DOORS IN QUEENS. THATS THE WAY IT IS HERE IN NJ WITH CHRIS CHRISTIE SOON REPLACING CORZINE - MANY OPERATORS ARE IN FEAR FOR THEIR JOBS B/C CHRISTIE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SAVE MONEY
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: political changes Reply with quote

in NJ there r still many private operators under contract to NJT - Academy, Coach USA, Veolia, etc. Transit operators here feel the new governor will give away their work to the private operators to save money. It is likely that Mangano will let the MTA do whatever they want if it saves money and that includes opening the doors in queens. I cant express how much operating costs would be saved if the overlapping lines were merged. [b]TREMENDOUS, TREMENDOUS[/b AMOUNTS would be saved by merging the Q12/N20/N21 AND N4/Q5 as well as the others N22/A/Q43, N24/N6/Q36/Q110. I FEEL IT IS JUST A MATTER OF TIME B4 THE JURISDICTIONAL LIMITS OF LI BUS ROUTES IS ELIMINATED AND ALL THE LINES R MERGED WITH THE CITY LINES. If u look at the other major urban centers, MTA is the only one that does this. I mean -- Septa suburban lines to neighboring counties do carry locally within the city of Philadelphia and NJT routes to counties surrounding NWK, Camden, Paterson, and other cities all carry locally within the aforementioned cities. So, if the MTA can save millions by merging the lines together in the future, Suozzi woulda been more likely to stop it than Mangano likely will[/u]
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator’s note:

Spelling in ALL CAPITALS is the equivalent of yelling – let's keep the discussion civil.

Thank you.
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: political changes Reply with quote

what many ppl (riders) dont understand about transit systems (like John Q Pine) is that they are not for profit public benefit corporations and the jurisdiction can only do what is economically feasible for the jurisdiction based on the budget. Pine has gone on u tube to say that nassau county needs to triple its bus fleet - this is very unrealistic -not only economically but unneccesary to some extent. the idea of park and rides with express bus service for the most part is a waste in that there are prob. only a small handfull of ppl who commute to manhattan now in their personal cars that wont use LIRR but would use an express bus instead. The LIRR provides decent commuter service from virtually all of nassau. If there is one corridor to try an express bus it would be on hempstead tpke between farmingdale and hempstead b/c there is no train line throught the region. Nassau could use some more equipment but not triple the amount but more importantly -- it is necessary to better allocate the resources that are already in place. for example - by combining the lib routes with the city routes on their corridors -Q12/N20/N21 and eliminating the jurisdictional limitations of the two agencies, the monies saved would be substantial enuf to provide 24 hour - hourly service on ALL nassau county local routes - even the N50 and routes like that.
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: political changes Reply with quote

take a look at the N20/N21s leaving Flushing late in the evening and during peak times. yes thats right PEAK times. sometimes they are leaving flushing main with only a handful of ppl. Y is that???? Y is the MTA running a bus for a handful of ppl? b/c of jurisdictional limitations - thats Y. the ONLY reason two buses are running down northern blvd at 9 -10- 11 at nite (even during peak times) is b/c the small handful of ppl on bus 1568 for example that says LI Bus on the side wish to disembark a half of a mile or a mile farther along northern blvd which is beyond the city line into another jurisdiction - nassau county. this is a complete waste of resources. here are two buses running bumper to bumper with eachother with two of the highest paid drivers in the nation for not even 1 full bus load of ppl -- only b/c several wish to disembark farther along northern into a different jurisdiction. For each Q12/N21 that gets combined - there could be another trip added to the local lines in Nassau - an 11:15 from hempstead on the N49 for example then an 8:15 n49 from hempstead on sunday nite - then a 9:00 from hicksville on the n49 on sunday. for each resource that is conserved by unnecessarily overlapping buses within queens b/c of jurisdictional limits - a new resource could be relocated within nassau somewhere. maybe a new 11:10 trip on n22 from hicksville sunday service on n80 linking TWO shopping centers
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: political changes Reply with quote

the whole purpose of this post is that now that Suozzi is gone-u r more likely to see this occur within four years of the incoming ed mangano a republican. Suozzi, who threw a fit for orange stripes - would have likely done the same for streamlining nassau/queens routes - but Mangano, a republican, will in all probability, allow MTA mgmt to do what saves the most money - if that means 5 less hours of labor costs to repaint a bus with 1 color blue rather than 2 colors blue and orange -at top labor costs- then go for it. If Nassau doesnt have to pay any more money to run buses b/c the Q12/N20/N21 combine into one route - then go for it. (i have been refering only to the northern blvd corridor - the same concept applies to hillside, jamaica-jericho, hempstead, and merrick corridors) i have chosen to refer to q12/n20/21 b/c they would not need any route modifications - the q12 is merely a short n20/21 - all the others would need slite route modifications. the n22/22a would have to be extended to jamaica station to combine with the q43 to conserve resources along the hillside corridor
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: political changes Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
the whole purpose of this post is that now that Suozzi is gone-u r more likely to see this occur within four years of the incoming ed mangano a republican. Suozzi, who threw a fit for orange stripes - would have likely done the same for streamlining nassau/queens routes - but Mangano, a republican, will in all probability, allow MTA mgmt to do what saves the most money - if that means 5 less hours of labor costs to repaint a bus with 1 color blue rather than 2 colors blue and orange -at top labor costs- then go for it. If Nassau doesnt have to pay any more money to run buses b/c the Q12/N20/N21 combine into one route - then go for it. (i have been refering only to the northern blvd corridor - the same concept applies to hillside, jamaica-jericho, hempstead, and merrick corridors) i have chosen to refer to q12/n20/21 b/c they would not need any route modifications - the q12 is merely a short n20/21 - all the others would need slite route modifications. the n22/22a would have to be extended to jamaica station to combine with the q43 to conserve resources along the hillside corridor

As I had stated before, I am not a county resident, but it was time Suozzi had worn out his welcome. He threw a tantrum over an orange stripe? Not surprising there were reports early on in his tenure that like a little child who didn't get his way, he threw tantrums over minor things.

I think that this is the perfect time to merge the systems, get the kinks worked out, hire new drivers so that the system can be "ramped up" when this recession finally ends and demand goes up. As far as cutting certain routes, that is only subject to "reverse nimbyism"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: orange stripes Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
OBVIOUSLY U DONT KNOW WHAT WENT DOWN IN NASSAU IN 2009. U DRIVE FOR HART THERE HARTBUS? UNDER THE THE ADMINISTRATIVE CONSOLIDATION OF LI BUS INTO THE MTA FAMILY IN 2008, THE MGMT BEGAN BRINGING ALL OF LIBUS UP TO MTA STANDARDS AND THAT INCLUDED THE REPAINTING OF SEVERAL OF THE OLDER WEHICLES WITHOUT THE ORANGE STRIPE. WHEN SUOZZI SAW OR GOT WIND OF BUSES (OLDER BUSES) APPARENTLY OWNED BY NASSAU RIDING AROUND W/O THE ORANGE STRIPE - HE THREW A FIT AND THEY PUT THE STRIPE BACK. U CAN SEE 1568 ON U TUBE. 1602 I THINK ALSO AND 1626. DOUBT MANGANO IS GONNA GIVE A SHIT ABOUT TRANSIT AT ALL WHICH IS GOOD AND BAD SO HE'S MORE LIKELY TO JUST SIT BACK AND LET THE MTA DO WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT WITH THE BUSES IF IT SAVES MONEY ---INCLUDING OPENING THE DOORS IN QUEENS. THATS THE WAY IT IS HERE IN NJ WITH CHRIS CHRISTIE SOON REPLACING CORZINE - MANY OPERATORS ARE IN FEAR FOR THEIR JOBS B/C CHRISTIE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SAVE MONEY

NO I don't drive for HART (Huntington). In fact I don't even have a CDL license. I do liive in the Town of Huntington. When one of the older bus boards started up and everyone was using screen names, it just seemed like a natural.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, to eliminate the orange stripe doesn't require repainting but rather retaping over the orange which had been done on those few older LI Buses and also others on MTA Bus.
scatman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well -- in a few more weeks, joe smith and his ppl can go back to retaping the 14,15,1600 series buses
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that one of the changes on the table will be to require LI Bus routes in Queens to handle local passengers. I would hesitate to make that change, even on Saturday and Sunday. Westbound on N20 to Flushing one afternoon, I noticed that the bus was jammed with workers as it crossed into Queens. They gradually emptied out in the residential neighborhoods of Douglaston, Bayside, etc. That bus might have room for pick-ups. On the other hand, eastbound in the evening rush hour I see only 4 trips per hour from Flushing to Roslyn. Imagine the frustration of a rider getting off the 7 train in Flushing and attempting to get to Roslyn, if the N20 also filled up with Q12 local patrons.
-----
While the TA is adding Limited Stop service within the four boroughs, it seems to me inadvisable to turn the LI bus routes into Queens locals.
-----
By the way, I think it was about twenty years ago that the passenger flow changed direction on routes that crossed the city line. As Nassau suburbs were growing, the bus companies brought people to the subway for work in the city. Some decades ago, the buses became more used by people who traveled east to work, particularly as the LIRR reverse-commute schedules on the Main Line and the Babylon Branch are weak.
Joe
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
On the other hand, eastbound in the evening rush hour I see only 4 trips per hour from Flushing to Roslyn. Imagine the frustration of a rider getting off the 7 train in Flushing and attempting to get to Roslyn, if the N20 also filled up with Q12 local patrons. While the TA is adding Limited Stop service within the four boroughs, it seems to me inadvisable to turn the LI bus routes into Queens locals.

I would imagine that the only change to the N20/21 would be to allow eastbound dropoff/westbound pickup at existing limited stops, rather than add 13 minutes to the route's running time.

Last edited by ripta42 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
scatman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually gentleman - here is what I believe is the best way to streamline the corridor -- all trips operating along northern would depart flms at even time intervals and under a regional numbering system would no longer bear a q or n designation as is the case with most transit systems including here in nj. njt uses a three digit number system to determine the area a route serves - the same would be more realisitc for future of mta. under my ideas - the route would be relabeled as the 520 and 521 - with three different legs - 520 flms to gnrr and roslyn rr and 521 to glen cove rr or best terminal. again - i am only discussing this corridor b/c it is the simplest. service would leave at even time intervals. an off peak midday schedule would look like this ---
1:00 520 to great neck rail station
1:05 520 to roslyn rail station
1:10 521 to glen cove rail station
1:15 520 to great neck rail station
1:20 520 to roslyn rail station
1:25 521 to glen cove rail station
1:30 520 to great neck rail station
under this service pattern the following will occur -
service between flms and great neck rail station will operate at regular 5 min svce intervals
service between great neck rail station and roslyn clock tower will operate at 5-10 min service intervals - service between clock tower and rail station will comingle with 523 (former n23)
service between roslyn clock tower and glen cove will operate at regular 15 minute service intervals
service from flushing will no longer operate east of roslyn to or from hicksville (this will be combined with another line)
the route would be split between casey stengle and mitchel field depots
joe said the n20 through nassau was overcrowded at city line -- this would be eliminated as there would be regular 5-10 min service intervals through nassau - also residents along the corridor between roslyn and glen cove will be more inclined to ride the line if they know the bus operates no more than 15 min apart as opposed to the offset schedule today that requires an hour wait and offset schedules at times
service in glen cove (pending approval) shall be extended farther north - possibly to glen cove station - as there is a much more commercial strip up on forest and a hospital near the station that would benefit from transportation svce .
521 service would operate as a limited stop bus during peak times in nassau and queens and headways would be improved to maybe 4 min during peak times with limited svce to glen cove
the 521 to glen cove will depart hourly from flms 24 hrs/day
service will remain on northern in flushing instead of sanford to provide uniform service on northern blvd east and west of flushing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: