BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenicruisers: When did retirement begin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
A good friend of mine in Baltimore has one stored at MTA's Bush Street facility. Don't know if it is operational or not.

timecruncher
I think that, sometime back, I had heard about this Scenicruiser being at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum on exhibit for some sort of special event. If so, I would gather that this coach is operational. Perhaps someone here more "in the know' will be able to confirm this. John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recalled that, back around 1993, on my way to work, I saw a Scenicruiser (looked to be pretty well restored AND obviously operational) parked outside of the old Washington St. Bus Co. garage on Willow Avenue in Hoboken (NJ). I'm wondering if this coach was owned by someone "local", "local" meaning the Greater New York area. John
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - timecruncher - All -

1. Not to forget the (at least) one with a connection to the Pacific Bus Museum folks,

2. Baltimore area based coach. Within last couple years, it did enter an active appearance at a Baltimore Streetcar Museum event.
AFAIK, the coach remains operational...

Also, someone is still signing checks and keeping the lights on at: http://www.scenicruiser.com/

..................Vern..............
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All: Here is the former WESTERN GREYHOUND Scenicruiser currently residing at the PBM. When delivered, it was numbered K-2305, later P-2305. In 1960, however, the coach was again re-numbered, becoming 8005. http://www.pacbus.org/roster/pbm8005.html
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on Yahoo, there is a group devoted to the Scenicruiser. One of the posters there, Tom McNally, has a restored Scenic painted in the gold stripe livery. I have a photo of it on my computer and home and will try to post it tonight. It is a beauty.

Mr. McNally also has the very first Scenicruiser and is restoring that one, too. This bus, originally known as EXP331, was taken back into the factory after the production run of 1,000 buses and re-emerged as serial 1001.

It was delivered to Atlantic Greyhound Lines and was the only PD4501 with an emergency door. Greyhound subsequently rebuilt it without the emergency door. The restoration process will include re-installing the emergency door as originally built.

Also, there is a fellow named Roy Hall who lives in the U. K. that has restored a Scenic in the original paint scheme. Very nice job.

Roy
(Wondering where these guys get all that money to play with buses?)
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Quote:
Enjoy this "Gallery Of Glory"!! http://www.scenicruiser.com/gallery.htm

Trivia Question Time :

Go down to the Mockups and Prototypes section of the above page. What is different about the bus in the very first photo? And I'm not talking about the paint scheme.

No prizes. My wife has given me my weekly allowance and I spent it already.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Roy: I GOTTA admit...ya got me STUMPED pal!!! Shocked Shocked
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy -

Sigh! Go watch a nice movie! Why must you torment? That is not healthy, either! <G>

1) Lettering and striping does not following rendering on initial release?

2) The "Scenicruiser" label does not appear?

3) Mirror placement. In service views of new coaches show that driver's side mirror had assumed the
"Consolidated Freightways" position? Long after the fact, I'm persuaded that "K" Greyhound and "CFWY"
had cordial and useful associations in the era...

...................Vern...................
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I won't drag it out.

That's not a real bus. It's a clay mockup. Forty feet long, eight feet wide, don't know how many feet high, of clay. Can you imagine how long it took to whip that up? The people who did it were real artists, though. Sure looks like the real thing.

It was prepared for visiting Greyhound execs before the prototype was finished.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be starched and hung out to dry(!!) Shocked Shocked NEVER in a MILLION YEARS would have I have guessed that the coach was NOT real!!! Shocked Shocked A CLAY mockup?? Shocked Shocked Man, talk about PAINSTAKING CRAFTSMANSHIP!! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made many trips between Phoenix and Los Angeles on Greyhound in the early 70's and would occasionally be fortunate enough to get a Scenicruiser. I remember at a driver change when the departing driver warned the new one to watch his speed because this bus would really haul. They were the ultimate OTR bus IMHO.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberrider: Man, you were LUCKY!! Very Happy Though I saw Scenicruisers many times growing up in the 60s, I never got to ride one. Sad But, I agree with you....without a doubt, the Scenicruiser was indeed the FINEST highway coach EVER produced (certainly the most distinctive!), with Continental Trailways' elegant Eagles running a close second! Very Happy I've long said that the Scenicruiser was, in its heyday, "America's FINEST bus"! Very Happy John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this beautiful, detailed Scenicruiser model. Also, note where it states that the last ones were retired from Greyhound service between 1977 and 1978. http://www.sptc.spb.ru/gmc.htm
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This had to be one VERY interesting trip(!!) Very Happy Sure wish I had gone along..... Rolling Eyes http://www.pacbus.org/pbmnews/news06.shtml
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the original 1946 Raymond Loewy prototype for the Scenicruiser; notice that it was QUITE different from the Scenicruiser that actually went into production!! Shocked Just imagine if such an IMPRESSIVE coach had been actually put into production!! Very Happy http://www.raymondloewy.org/gallery/greyhound.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: