BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'LACMTA TO NEW YORK CITY BUS'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: 'LACMTA TO NEW YORK CITY BUS' Reply with quote

Pictured below in three poses is fleet number 8567 - a 1992 TMC RTS model T80-206 and supposedly operating for New York MTA's New York City Bus but actually originally purchased as fleet number 1238 and one of 303 (1200 to 1502) delivered to Los Angeles County MTA.

Thanks to the magicians at Scott Richard's Regional Transit out here in Riverside, who are the premier purveyors of vintage and contemporary buses for motion pictures and television, every detail of 1238's transition was perfectly executed.

In fact, you could take 8567 and put it on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn tomorrow morning, collect fares and nobody would be the wiser (except maybe a few of you MTA bus trackers!).

L.A.'s 1200 series RTS's (specimen pictured below) are the last of their ilk to operate and are slowly being retired.

This particular group of buses came fueled by Methanol, then Ethanol and finally converted to Diesel.

Scott has an affinity for RTS's and has enough of them to last until the next century.

Special thanks to Laddie Vitek for photos.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, people on Eastern Parkway might see the CA plate on a NY bus! Based upon the depot sticker, I now know what hat to wear on Saturday.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA

I've got one question about 8567 - it's the wheels;

As I remember, the latest NY RTS's had something like unpainted mag. wheels.

Is the front wheel shown in the photo anatomically correct although I really don't know what particular series RTS they were aiming to copy.

Glad the weather sounds good for the week end - I'm good to go - will PM you shortly.

WCA
MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: LAMTA !@#* into NYMTA 8567 Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Linksy for the nice write up. I have been very busy with last weekends Neoplan excursion and Open House.

The rims are normal steel rims. I dont know if NYMTA used Alcoas on the RTS's as I have not seen a picture of it

The entire paint scheme including the number was done with alot of help from Trevor Logan. 1238 was repainted for a shoot coming up in August where it will be disguised as a CNG RTS with the tank cover on the roof. As I understand it, 8567 was a 1992ish CNG RTS for NYMTA but has been scrapped.

8567 was used over the weekend to move people from our Open House at the yard to lunch in Riverside. I will send you some pictures if you wouldlike to post them.

Thanks again for the nice article, it makes me feel good that someone was paying attention to what we do here.
www.rts-regionaltransitservice.com
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
ECA

I've got one question about 8567 - it's the wheels;

As I remember, the latest NY RTS's had something like unpainted mag. wheels.

Is the front wheel shown in the photo anatomically correct although I really don't know what particular series RTS they were aiming to copy.

Glad the weather sounds good for the week end - I'm good to go - will PM you shortly.

WCA

WCA: I am not an expert on rims, but looking at the picture, they don't feel right to me. I don't remember the lug nuts ever being painted nor can I ever remember a NYC bus looking so clean Very Happy

ECA
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: LAMTA !@#* into NYMTA 8567 Reply with quote

MOVIEBUSES wrote:
The rims are normal steel rims. I dont know if NYMTA used Alcoas on the RTS's as I have not seen a picture of it

The entire paint scheme including the number was done with alot of help from Trevor Logan. 1238 was repainted for a shoot coming up in August where it will be disguised as a CNG RTS with the tank cover on the roof. As I understand it, 8567 was a 1992ish CNG RTS for NYMTA but has been scrapped.

The real 8567 was a '94. It was sent to Command Bus Co. as their #4978 and was retired when the MTA took over Command in late 2005.

White-painted steel rims are typical for NYCTA RTSes. I think there was a batch that were delivered with ALCOAs, but they were later replaced with steel wheels. Don't quote me on that, though.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

I think you're abosolutely correct.

I do remember distinctly that there were city RTS's that had the shiny Alcoa wheels probably in the late eighties.

I have searched our city RTS gallery and find only white painted specimens, and some with blue hubs so Scott's production is very accurate.

BTW; not that it means much, but this will be post number 1500 for me (no applause please - just doing my job!).

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
BTW; not that it means much, but this will be post number 1500 for me (no applause please - just doing my job!).

Wow; and Q65A is a not-so-close second at 625!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Mr. 'L'

WCA - A very good job at that. While not trying to move this thread in another direction, I just looked at the member list and made the following notes.

A - You are in First Place with 1,500 posts. The list is as follows

1 - Mr. Linsky 1,500
2 - Q 65 A 625
3 - Ripta 521
4 - Railbus 456
5 - Cyberrider 431
6 - Dieseljim 419
7 - Hartbus (me Very Happy ) 250
8 - NYC Busfan 210
9 - HwyHauler 189
10 - DE60LF 143
11 - GBL Rebel 131
12 - Port of Authority 116
13 - Don of All Buses 113
14 - Bill D 111 (tie)
14 - N4 Jamaica 111 (tie)
16 - Smokie Cat 102

B- All other posters have under 100 posts

C- There are 278 members if member #1 is a real person and not a test member set up to check the validity of the software.

Of these 278 members, 97 ( more than 1/3) have never posted and 86 have less than 10 posts. I am surprised that I am in 7th place since I don't post all that often and are 40 posts ahead of my nearest rival. Got to watch out for #9 HwyHauler who is moving up fast.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

It's only a matter of time now until Dieseljim and or Highway Hauler take my crown away!

More power to them - It'll give me a chance to sit back, relax and kibitz!

One thing that will be a little hard to break will be the 42,000 some odd hits that 'Bus Nostalgia' has enjoyed - that, I'm really proud of!

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun.

WCA
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
C- There are 278 members if member #1 is a real person and not a test member set up to check the validity of the software.

There are 272 members. The other six are: four "dummy" members I created because their posts are in recovered BusTalk.net threads, my non-administrator alter ego for testing purposes, and rrbob's alter ego "asdfasdf" because his old account stopped working.

On that note, here's another photo of 1238/8567 Scott sent me:

RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott did a great job on this one. The side windows with the transoms on top are a giveaway to bus enthusiasts, of course, but otherwise this is a very faithful reproduction of a typical New York City RTS bus in the early 2000's. Well done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: