BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whatever Happened to the Bus called Golden Chariot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Whatever Happened to the Bus called Golden Chariot Reply with quote

Whatever happened to that GM coach called the Golden Chariot? It is known as model PD4901 and is or was an enlarged version of the PD4104? That bus used much of the same tooling used to build 4104s and had the same power train as used on the PD4501 Scenicruiser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I was told by Charles Wotring, the bus is still in the possession of Wilson Bus Lines of Templeton, MA. Their website, though, makes no metion of the bus.

If I am able to get some fellow members of the Shoreline Trolley Museum to make a visti to the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunc, Maine, I wiould like to make the 40 mile detour (one-way) to Templeton.
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good topic. What was said is true, and I wish much more wewre made, as as intended the non-Greyound lines(plural) could use 'em///
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a scan from the official sales brochure for the PD-4901, dated December 1954.

BTW, the name "Golden Chariot" does not appear on the sales brochure!

IMG_7808 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.85 KB
 Viewed:  14547 Time(s)

IMG_7808 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, the "GOLDEN CHARIOT" was (AFAIK) replicated in toy form but once, circa-1960.

I have a rare tin friction GREYHOUND bus (interestingly, incorrectly carrying "SCENICRUISER" lettering) that clearly was based upon the three-axle "GOLDEN CHARIOT".

What is interesting this toy bus was also (later) re-issued, but now sporting a small upper "half-deck".

The earlier "CHARIOT" version I have does not have the slots in the roof where the upper deck area would later go (I have both versions of this today, now roughly 60 years old)......and I love 'em both! Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PD-4901 was a one-off experimental. Pennsylvania Greyhound operated it for a while, and then the demo went to other companies for trial.
While not as aesthetically appealing as the PD-4501 Scenicruiser, that was built exclusively for Greyhound, the 4901 was really a more practical design, built hi-level entirely, for better space utilization.

Since the Scenic was exclusively for GL, it is surprising that the Trailways carrier's did not purchase the 4901. Seems short-sighted on their behalf, although it probably was priced too high for sufficient sales to sustain their manufacture. It was only a couple of years later, that M E Moore of Continental Trailways went in search of a manufacturer to build his 40 foot Eagle design...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: