BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harran Prevost 824 is still around
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Harran Prevost 824 is still around Reply with quote

While stopped e/b on Jericho Turnpike at Post Avenue, Westbury, the bus was w/b and turning s/b onto Post Ave. It was still in the dark red color and the number 824 was in the yellow color. There were no other markings and think I saw the owner as "Ground Transportation" but it was near the bottom of the side and it was hard to see.
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harran closed operations 12/14/2006. Since then 824 has been to:

Horizon Coach 824
Krystal Tours & Transportation 824
Ground Transamerica Inc 824

In a year and half, I can only imagine where else it's been (or yet to go). The last two companies are in Babylon, with very close addresses on Deer Park Ave.

Krystal is still in business. I saw an ex-Academy Prevost lettered for them a couple weeks ago.

Bob K
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrbob wrote:

Horizon Coach 824

In a year and half, I can only imagine where else it's been (or yet to go). The last two companies are in Babylon, with very close addresses on Deer Park Ave.

Krystal is still in business. I saw an ex-Academy Prevost lettered for them a couple weeks ago.

Bob K

Bob - You are correct on the shut down date of Harran. It was a Thursday and I was as stunned as any bus fan on Long Island that they just closed their doors and closed up. I visited their yard on 12/22/06 and got some pictures of the remaining equipment including the 1954 Flxible Clipper before its donation to the MOBT.

When I saw 824 on Friday it looked like it had been through a war zone. I think that the only washing it got was from rain and snow. Sure could use a wax job to bring back its color. There was no decal on it.

I tried doing searches though Google and Ask.com and came up empty on the last two. No luck with yellow pages.

I did notice that Inter-County Motor Coach has two listings on DPA

235 Deer Park Avenue - 631-661-9200

243 Deer Park Avenue - 631-661-6363

Since ICMC sold off their OTR coaches to the Chinatown companies, I believe that they are basically a travel agency, along with their transit operations for Suffolk County. As I have previously posted, I believe that there is a tie-in between ICMC and Babylon Transit and John Bosch Company ( a school bus operator)

Does Krystal and Ground Transamerica use those ICMC addresses ?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
rrbob wrote:

Horizon Coach 824

Bob K

Bob - You are correct on the shut down date of Harran. It was a Thursday and I was as stunned as any bus fan on Long Island that they just closed their doors and closed up. I visited their yard on 12/22/06 and got some pictures of the remaining equipment including the 1954 Flxible Clipper before its donation to the MOBT.

When I saw 824 on Friday it looked like it had been through a war zone. I think that the only washing it got was from rain and snow. Sure could use a wax job to bring back its color. There was no decal on it.

I tried doing searches though Google and Ask.com and came up empty on the last two. No luck with yellow pages.

Since ICMC sold off their OTR coaches to the Chinatown companies, I believe that they are basically a travel agency, along with their transit operations for Suffolk County. As I have previously posted, I believe that there is a tie-in between ICMC and Babylon Transit and John Bosch Company ( a school bus operator)

Does Krystal and Ground Transamerica use those ICMC addresses ?

when u went to the Harran yard, did u see any SCT buses, cuz i saw some where that CBS has a yard in Babylon where i think they keep buses 2000, 2002-2004
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Does Krystal and Ground Transamerica use those ICMC addresses ?[/quote]

Interesting. KRYSTAL TOURS & TRANSPORTATION is 235 DEER PARK AVE and GROUND TRANSAMERICA INC is 243 DEER PARK AVE. What is "DPA"??

FYI.... add 823 to the merry- go-round.

Bob K
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To S-60 : Harran Coachways was on Mahan Street in West Babylon, off Ediison Avenue. It is probably about 10 minutes drive from ICMC in Babylon.

To Bob:

1 - You asked me what is DPA. That has been Long Island shorthand for DEER PARK AVENUE for a long time. Probably goes back about 20 years when there was major (illlegal) drag racing on Rte 231 between Sunrise Highway and John Street. Most of the racers would meet up at a shopping center on DPA and Bay Shore Rd, North Babylon. They'd show off their cars and if a match was arranged down DPA they'd go to Rte 231.

2 - Forgot to post this yesterday, but around 9 AM, on Jericho Turnpike in Smithtown, I passed ex- Pine Hills Trailways 4705. It had the livery of PHT but the name detail had been taken off but the glue stuck to the body. Could get into position to see who the current owner is...
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPA - I've been away from LI too long!!

4705 is one of several ex Adirondack/Pine Hill Trailways buses running out of Bethpage. The company name is Paradise something. 4704 is ex PH and 4603(?) is ex Adirondack.

If whoever saw Horizon Coach 120 (ex Harran) can post the license plate number for it, we maybe able to figure out which Harran bus it was.

Bob K
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
To S-60 : Harran Coachways was on Mahan Street in West Babylon, off Ediison Avenue. It is probably about 10 minutes drive from ICMC in Babylon.

To Bob:

1 - You asked me what is DPA. That has been Long Island shorthand for DEER PARK AVENUE for a long time. Probably goes back about 20 years when there was major (illlegal) drag racing on Rte 231 between Sunrise Highway and John Street. Most of the racers would meet up at a shopping center on DPA and Bay Shore Rd, North Babylon. They'd show off their cars and if a match was arranged down DPA they'd go to Rte 231.

2 - Forgot to post this yesterday, but around 9 AM, on Jericho Turnpike in Smithtown, I passed ex- Pine Hills Trailways 4705. It had the livery of PHT but the name detail had been taken off but the glue stuck to the body. Could get into position to see who the current owner is...

yeah i know where Harrans yard is, CBS Lines was listed as being there. i don't go out to Bablyon because the bus timeings are tight for me to get back dfrom where i live. but i just wanted to know if they were there, it would seam kinda pointless for me to spend money to go there just to find out the buses aren't there when someone else already knew that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct name is Paradise Travel of Hicksville. They are located at the south end (across the street) from the old Grumman plant.

Bob K
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To S-60 : I guess that you did as badly in High School English as I did. I noted that Harran had gone out of business on 12/14/06 and referred to their yard in the past tense, you should have said I knew where it was.

Anyway when I stopped there on 12/22/06 there was a "for sale" sign on the property. Most of the Harran buses were gone, large garbage dumpsters were in place by a carting company and no Suffolk Transit buses there.

Although I didn't pass the yard very frequently, I never noticed ST buses there. I just checked an old telephone book ( 2005 ) and the only listing for CBS was in Mount Sinai.

I wonder if they were kept at Educational Bus on Sunrise Hwy, since that company does have several ST routes and is close by where Harran used to be.

To Bob K - Checked on Google and Paradise Travel is on Lauman Lane which is an industrial area, just across Rte 107 from Gruman, not far from the former Bethpage Farmers Market and near a great Dunkin' Donuts. If my travels take me there I'll try and take a camera and see what they have.

I was the spotter of 120. Hopefully I can get close enough to get a view of the license plate or if it is stopped in a shopping center get a peek at the registration and VIN
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
To S-60 : I guess that you did as badly in High School English as I did. I noted that Harran had gone out of business on 12/14/06 and referred to their yard in the past tense, you should have said I knew where it was.

Anyway when I stopped there on 12/22/06 there was a "for sale" sign on the property. Most of the Harran buses were gone, large garbage dumpsters were in place by a carting company and no Suffolk Transit buses there.

Although I didn't pass the yard very frequently, I never noticed ST buses there. I just checked an old telephone book ( 2005 ) and the only listing for CBS was in Mount Sinai.

I wonder if they were kept at Educational Bus on Sunrise Hwy, since that company does have several ST routes and is close by where Harran used to be.

To Bob K - Checked on Google and Paradise Travel is on Lauman Lane which is an industrial area, just across Rte 107 from Gruman, not far from the former Bethpage Farmers Market and near a great Dunkin' Donuts. If my travels take me there I'll try and take a camera and see what they have.

I was the spotter of 120. Hopefully I can get close enough to get a view of the license plate or if it is stopped in a shopping center get a peek at the registration and VIN

the yard still there, even if Harran isn't. so it doesn't really matter.

CBS Lines Inc
30 Mahan St West Babylon NY 11704-1304
http://www.ratepoint.com/companies/12526543-cbs-lines-inc-west-babylon-ny (i have no idea what it means, but it proves my point that CBS Lines is listed at that address)

and this is from Suffolk Trunked radio system 336 015 A County Transit- CBS Lines(Babylon/Coram Base)

so CBS has a yard somewhere in the West Babylon/Babylon area.

Last edited by S-60 To Smith Haven Mall on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

CBS Lines Inc
http://www.ratepoint.com/companies/12526543-cbs-lines-inc-west-babylon-ny (i have no idea what it means, but it proves my point that CBS Lines is listed at that address)

You are correct about the listing at the linked site, however, there was no telephone number shown. Also not everything on the web is current nor accurate. Several sites claiming to list charter bus companies on Long Island still show Harran as an active company with a link to their website, so you can't take everything you see as the absolute truth.

Since neither of us has been past the location, I will accept your statement as true.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

CBS Lines Inc

You are correct about the listing at the linked site, however, there was no telephone number shown. Also not everything on the web is current nor accurate. Several sites claiming to list charter bus companies on Long Island still show Harran as an active company with a link to their website, so you can't take everything you see as the absolute truth.

Since neither of us has been past the location, I will accept your statement as true.

of course it would be considered active if nobody has taken down Harran's website.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

CBS Lines Inc

accoding to Yellowbook.com Harran is still listed at that location. and since Harran is CBS's parent company, from what i heard, that could be where the 20xx buses are, since there is no way they could be in the coarm yard.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: A Walk in Babylon Village Reply with quote

It was such a beautiful day yesterday that my wife and I decided to take a ride to Babylon Villlage. We first looked at the boats down on the docks and then came north. We parked the car and strolled through the commercial part of the village.

While stopping at Argyle (sp?) Park on Montauk Highway a NYCTA introduced himself since I was wearing the Jackie Gleason Depot had that I have. He works out of Ulmer Park. Told him to Google it to prove my point that Ulmer Park was the name of a long ago amusement park operated by a trolley company.

We then walked up Deer Park Avenue. I walked behind the offices of ICMC and saw the following:

1 - The Krystal Tours ex-Academy Bus was there. It was still numbered as 577, given to it by Academy. There was a KT airporter van parked there also.

2 - Many Suffolk Transit buses were parked there. They are parked so close together, I didn't entertain the idea of going up and down each row to get numbers. However the two oldest buses there was 9633 and 9641, both in the current livery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: