BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NFT Dissatisfaction with the 7400 series 5301s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: NFT Dissatisfaction with the 7400 series 5301s Reply with quote

On Amazon, I read exerpts from a new book about historical buses and street cars of Buffalo and reference was made to NFT's dissatisfaction with the 7400 series 5301s delivered to that company in 1960-61. Since these buses were102 inches wide and 40 ft. long, my guess would be it was the stresses that these buses were subject to on the streets of Buffalo that were more than the 3 piece rear windows could stand that led to the unusual modifications to the rear windows on most of these buses, namely the use of a yellow metal strip down the center of the rear windows of most buses in this group. A few such as 7437 were never touched and ended their days with the 3 piece rear windows they were delivered with. This cracking tendency was delt with on the first 5304s, the 7500 series, all of which came with the four piece rear windows as did all the 7600 abd 7700 series, which constituted NFT's final orders for new buses. Rochester's 1000 series 5304s all had the 3 piece rear windows and none was ever so modified that I know of. however RTC's 200series 5302s were modified when the cracking problem of the rear glass became apparant. So, with the New Looks, a little tweaking here and there took care of any little problems that cropped up, such as that with the back windows. I am sure other properties did the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: