BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffolk Transit Bus # 9614 still alive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Suffolk Transit Bus # 9614 still alive Reply with quote

Saw this bus southbound on NY Avenue yesterday at 4:45 PM, near Reinwald's (yummy,yummy) bakery working on the S-1.

I left the doctors office with my wife at about 5:30PM and saw another older ST bus (based the blue roof livery) heading N/B turning into the Big H shoppping center. Couldn't get close enough to see the number.

Guess EBT is doing a good job to keep these oldies on the road.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a number of 96xx-series Gilligs during my recent trips to Suffolk, most of which are painted in the new paint scheme. Although they're somewhat rare compared to the new 50xx Gilligs that seem to dominate the system.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see these "oldies" also on the 5A, 6A, 8A, and the S59.
They seem to be used on mostly "feeder" routes.
The 5A is almost exclusively these older buses, though I did see an Orion last week, a rarity for the 5A.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
You can see these "oldies" also on the 5A, 6A, 8A, and the S59.
They seem to be used on mostly "feeder" routes.
The 5A is almost exclusively these older buses, though I did see an Orion last week, a rarity for the 5A.

7D/E and 6B. but all the 9600 buses aren't all repainted. CBS's aren't, only 9650 and 9655 from Suffolk Bus Corp is (that i know of), 9605 from Sunrise coach isn't repainted, but 9647 and 9642 are repainted and last time i saw 9601 from Inter-County wasn't repainted.

and last time i checked the S59 wasn't a feeder route.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LLE Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I wonder who pays for the buses to get repainted... the companies or the county???
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLE Rebel wrote:
Interesting... I wonder who pays for the buses to get repainted... the companies or the county???

repaint are prob the companies since that would fall under physical maintenance,and would explain why 9600 from Inter County Looks horrible in the front. put the way the buses are painted when they order it would be the County
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode 9647 on the S92 yesterday...I knew this bus sounded different than the others on the 92, it had that "Suffolk Bus Corp" axle noise and ads for Suffolk Bus corp in the interior.
Ran pretty good though compared to the other older Gilligs with the S50 engine at Sunrise. Also saw 5042 on the 10B in East Hampton....usually they have one of the older Gilligs on that route.
Someone on the radio who was on the S90 said their bus sounded bad, I know 5041 is on that route.
HJ seems to have drivers doing different runs at different times of the week. I had someone on the 10C yesterday who was on the S90 on Friday. They wear the green HJ shirts instead of an ST uniform..usually.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
I rode 9647 on the S92 yesterday...I knew this bus sounded different than the others on the 92, it had that "Suffolk Bus Corp" axle noise and ads for Suffolk Bus corp in the interior.
Ran pretty good though compared to the other older Gilligs with the S50 engine at Sunrise. Also saw 5042 on the 10B in East Hampton....usually they have one of the older Gilligs on that route.
Someone on the radio who was on the S90 said their bus sounded bad, I know 5041 is on that route.
HJ seems to have drivers doing different runs at different times of the week. I had someone on the 10C yesterday who was on the S90 on Friday. They wear the green HJ shirts instead of an ST uniform..usually.

i guess 9647 was pressed into service as soon as it got to Sunrise, from what u said they have in the inside. i guess nobody metioned that they have ads that need to be taken down. i find it bad that they still have Suffolk Bus Corp stuff up.

5041 is bad, last time i heard about that bus, it was leaking something and when told about it the driver denied it.

well i don't know about HJ or Sunrise, but the time when u see most drivers switch just past. i know i saw a driver on the S66 two weeks ago that use to drive the 7:00 S61 out of Port Jefferson
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5041 always has problems, especially in winter they have trouble getting it started. It doesn't run that good either, but it still has alot more "pep" to it than most LI Buses. I did notice when I rode it last Friday on the 90 there was no a/c even though it was 85F outside.
One thing maybe you can answer is one time I noticed on a cold winter morning when the 6A pulled into Ronkonkoma and the driver took a break, he shut off the engine but it looked like a little motor was going because I heard something and steam was coming out of a small pipe. Is it possible some Suffolk buses have heaters on the buses to keep the engine warm?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
5041 always has problems, especially in winter they have trouble getting it started. It doesn't run that good either, but it still has alot more "pep" to it than most LI Buses. I did notice when I rode it last Friday on the 90 there was no a/c even though it was 85F outside.
One thing maybe you can answer is one time I noticed on a cold winter morning when the 6A pulled into Ronkonkoma and the driver took a break, he shut off the engine but it looked like a little motor was going because I heard something and steam was coming out of a small pipe. Is it possible some Suffolk buses have heaters on the buses to keep the engine warm?

i wouldn't know if they have heaters, but what u descibe sounds to me like the driver shut off a hot engine on a cold day and it made steam. other then that i wouldn't know what it could be
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"oldie" 9725 which was on the S59 last week was painted in the scheme.

and i was wrong, apparently the 6B now uses Orions, as i seen two last week. 9936 and another unidentified one. at the time i thought it was the same bus, but when i looked at the 6B schedule i noticed that 9936 couldn't possibly been the 6B i saw earlier in the day as it was suppose to be at the other end of the route at the time i saw the other bus on the route.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: