BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GM New Look Emergency Doors'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: 'GM New Look Emergency Doors' Reply with quote

I have always been led to believe (and as I'm sure most else of you have as well) that no GM 'New Look' transit bus ever had an actual emergency door placed directly opposite the rear door just as they were on the Old Looks.

I suppose we took for granted the fact that all GM 'New Look' windows were of the kick-out type obviating the need for a regular emergency egress.

Well, I was wrong because I have found one group of Green Line (NY) models that certainly had them (although very difficult to discern).

Pictured below is fleet number 138 - a 1968 GM model T6H5305A and one of 60 delivered to the company in Jamaica, New York between 1968 and 1970, and all of which equipped with auxiliary emergency doors.

Interestingly, I have searched my own records and those of the gallery and have come up with only one other bus so equipped which was New York Bus Service # 505 (ex. Orlando, Fla. # 505).

I can't explain the phenomenon except to say that these Green Line orders may have been built originally for another operator.

Photo courtesy of BusTalk Gallery

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Free-transfer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: E-Doors Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

Good post, I meant to post this myself while reading the stories by Q65a...

GBL GMC's 101-150 had them. The higher series 800's had them, too! I think 811-835 or 821 to 835.

GBL Flxibles 201-210 had them, 211-220 had single piece slanted windows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Operator's Manual for the GM 5305 (GM publication X-6940, dated April 1969) had this to say about the emergency door:
"The emergency door on left side of coach is held securely with a latch. Latch must be pressed outward and then lifted up to release door. Whenever latch is not secure or has been lifted up, the tell-tale "EMERG. DOOR" will light and the buzzer will sound."
Interestingly, Fishbowl operator's manuals issued prior to 1973 have exterior diagram drawings that clearly show a left-side emergency door. Beginning around 1973 (5307/5308 Op. Manual X-7350, issued Nov. 1973)these drawings are labeled "Emergency Door (when used)".
Fishbowls built for NYCT and MaBSTOA do not appear to have been built with LH emergency doors.
I also recall that QTC's Fishbowls lacked emergency doors, although QTC's 800-series GM TDH-5106's were equipped with emergency doors.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L., I was surprised you were unaware of the side emergency doors on Green Line New Look buses. I remember seeing a small red light inside the bus near the door.
MABSTOA TDH5301 units, formerly Fifth Ave. Coaches in the 3100 series had side emergency doors as well.
As seen on BusTalk Galleries, Steve Zabel photo, Joe Testagrose collection:

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH,

Don't be too surprised at my ignorance regarding 'New Look' emergency doors.

While the 400's (401 to 430 - TDH 5301's) were already on Green Line's property in 1960 and 1961 while I worked summer relief, I paid very little attention to them, and never had the opportunity to drive one.

However, I did stroll through a couple at the garage when they were new and did take notice of the 'kick-out' labels at each passenger window which stuck in my mind.

After the summer of 61, I had to direct my attentions more to my education and lost track of buses in general until my retirement a few years ago.

The 5300 emergency doors were obviously a GM option that some operators went for while others did not.

Thanks for the input and the good 3134 representation.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: 5300 Emergency Doors Reply with quote

This feature WAS an option on the GM 5300s. of all the 5300s that NFT in Buffalo bought, new or otherwise, only the ex Buffalo Transit Company 5 302s 340-349 which became 700-709, had this feature, all other NFT 5300s from 7400 on up had the square two piece window instead. No Rochester Transit 5300s had the emergency doors either. The push/kick out windows were standard equipment on all these buses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Emergency doors Reply with quote

I remember those doors on those 1968 Green Lines specifically on 116 and 118, the last 2 left in 1992 as far as I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: