BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Buses of NYC: Postwar Macks (Part 2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Historical Buses of NYC: Postwar Macks (Part 2) Reply with quote

In a continuing effort to motorize heavily traveled former BMT streetcar lines in Brooklyn, in 1950 the BOT placed an order for 400 large diesel transit buses from Mack. Called the C-50DT, the design of the BOT’s new bus was influenced considerably by BOT’s General Manager Colonel Sidney H. Bingham, so much so that BOT #’s 5200-5599 ultimately became known as “Bingham Macks”. The burly C-50DT was 96” wide, 39 feet 11.5 inches long (4.25” longer than the GM TDH-5101) and rode a 272 “wheelbase. It weighed in at 23,125 lbs., and was the heaviest bus in the BOT fleet. The Bingham Mack was powered by a new supercharged 6-cylinder Mack ENDS-672 diesel engine (rated @222 BHP) driving through a Spicer torque converter. As with contemporary GM Old Looks, the C-50DT used a conventional steel leaf spring suspension, but the big Bulldog had several other design features that were anything but conventional and were never repeated thereafter. Unlike virtually all other large contemporary transit buses, the C-50DT’s operated by BOT did not use standard air brakes and compressed air door engines, relying instead on an unusual all-hydraulic system. In the March-April 1974 edition of Motor Coach Age, Albert E. Meier speculated that hydraulic systems used successfully in World War II-era military aircraft might have been the inspiration for Col. Bingham to specify such a strange design feature. The unconventional features did not stop there. In deference to Cold War era tensions and then-common Civil Defense planning considerations, Bingham designed the interior of the BOT’s C-50DT’s for rapid conversion from transit buses into large ambulances. Stretchers could be suspended from ceiling mounted fixtures; fortunately, the need to perform such an emergency conversion was limited solely to various practice drills. The units employed horizontally-sliding sashes on all windows except for the front windshields; even the rear and standee windows were equipped with sliding sashes. (A single TDH-5101, BOT #4899, was similarly equipped.) Front doors were double width, as on the GM TDH5101’s. Unlike the 5101’s, however, rear exit doors were treadle-operated, actuated by the weight of a passenger standing atop a sensitized floor pad. This feature was not normally used on BOT/NYCTA buses, although it was sometimes used on other bus fleets. Passenger seats were installed in a staggered S-shaped arrangement, so that on a 2-person seat the aisle passenger sat slightly behind the window passenger. In an effort to enhance their appearance, an aluminum belt was installed directly beneath the lower window line. Yet another unusual option was the use of 6-spoke cast steel wheels and demountable rims, a design not used on any other BOT/NYCTA buses. Commonly seen on pre-World War II transit buses and on modern heavy-duty vocational trucks, this feature gave the already businesslike-looking C-50DT’s a tough appearance. The first 20 C-50DT’s (BOT #’s 5200-5219) were delivered to Miami FL instead of New York: Miami’s transit operator had suffered a devastating garage fire and needed replacement buses ASAP. Painted in BOT silver and green, they remained in service in Miami and never were returned. A second set of buses (also numbered BOT #’s 5200-5219) was built and delivered to Brooklyn shortly thereafter, along with the remaining 380 buses in the order. Most were assigned to East New York and Flatbush Depots, although some apparently went to E. 100 Street and Castleton Depots. The Bingham Macks certainly earned an “A” for design innovation, but once in service it appears that they did not live up to initial expectations. The all-hydraulic braking and door control systems did not prove to be as robust as air-operated counterparts. The complex sliding windows apparently sometimes loosened and occasionally fell out. Operation on heavily patronized former streetcar lines over rough streets likely contributed to vibration-related failures (cobblestones still were commonly used as paving materials in NYC until the 1960’s). Perhaps they were a bit too complex for rugged NYC service (something that would be seen in NYC years later with the Flxible Model 870’s). Additionally, by the late 1950’s the NYCTA bus fleet gradually was moving toward standardization, an operating environment in which unusual bus designs likely were unwelcome. They were replaced by new GM TDH-5106’s in 1957 and 1958. Unfortunately, no examples of the innovative C-50DT were preserved in NYC.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be surprising to note that diehard GM devotee FACCO also owned a small 25-unit fleet of Bingham Macks built in 1950 (FACCO #’s 2475-2499). Perhaps FACCO, like the BOT, had Civil Defense issues in mind when they bought these buses. Orphans in FACCO’s enormous GM diesel fleet, they were assigned to FACCO route 15 (covered today by much of the Q32). They apparently did not perform very well, and likely they were sold before the creation of MaBSTOA in 1962.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presented herewith are the 'Bingham' Macks borrowed from Bus Talk Gallery.

Enjoy!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

# 5387 Brand New

# 5249 (slightly used!)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Another great presentation - thanks for sharing.

You can readily see why the windows were a sore point from day one!

Even on the brand new 5387 above they look sloppy and out of place.

I suppose we're used to those 'perfect' paired window sashes on the GM's!

I guess in a round about way the favor to Miami was repaid when 10 C45-DT Macks that were originally built for that city wound up being delivered to Jamaica Buses (#550 to 559) complete with transom glasses tinted in blue.

Mr RT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I liked the photo of GBL 5387 so much I saved a copy for myself.
Thanks for sharing.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. RT,

I would imagine that your remark about # 5387 above was directed to my eastcoast namesake (no relation that I know of) Dennis Linsky.

I borrowed the picture from our own Gallery and it is certainly possible that Dennis placed it there originally in which event the direction of your observation would be correct.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it because it is a great shot and a rare one of an unmarred NYC C50 Mack.

Use it in good health.

upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong but 5387 is not a GBL bus but rather a BOT bus. In that photo of 5387, what are those trolleys in the background? Are they in a trolley yard? Were they still operating on the streets of Brooklyn at the time of the photo of 5387?

Incidentally, didn't Surface Transportation Company and Westchester Street Transportation Company (both TARS) have a large fleet of Mack buses?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a BoT Mack. "Green Bus Lines" is part of Mr. (not-and-no-relation-to-Dennis) Linsky's signature, not meant to caption the photo.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever,

Quite a handle!

# 5387 was never purported to be a Green Line bus - while Green Line was a devout Mack customer before the war (WWII) their allegiance switched to GM immediately after.

The pictured bus is a NYCBOT.

Surface Transportation, Westchester Street Railway (a subsidiary of Surface), Avenue 'B' and East Broadway and Jamaica Buses among others were post war Mack customers.

It appears as though the trolley cars in the background of the 5387 photo are at an end of line and not in a yard.

And finally (as Jay Leno would say), the C-50's were purchased to replace what was left of the trolley system in Brooklyn and there was tandem operation until the conversion was completed.

Q65A explains this more fully in his essay at the beginning of this forum.

Thanks for your inquiry.

upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr RT wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

The above quote is why I thought some reference was being made to the bus being a GBL bus. Thanks for straightening that out.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever wrote:
Mr RT wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

The above quote is why I thought some reference was being made to the bus being a GBL bus. Thanks for straightening that out.

UHL4E,

You're absolutely right!

I didn't catch Mr. RT's mention of GBL in his observation.

Thanks.

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: