BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On this day in 1964, we beheld the glorious future.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Two quick questions:

1:

Recall in the one article about the "Flying Lad" monorail, there was mention that, for a brief time, a leased FACCo bus was used instead of the rail car.

Would this have been a single-deck DE DION or a double-decker?

(I'm leaning towards the former on this one)

Whichever, this would have been the first FACCo bus to operate in "da Bronx" prior to the operation of the short-lived Route #12 in the early 1920s.

2:

Did any SURFACE/"Oh-Ay"/"stoa"" routes begin their routes at the Bronx Zoo, or where they "run-through" routes?

Just curious...........

"NYO"

["GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Two quick questions:

1:

Recall in the one article about the "Flying Lad" monorail, there was mention that, for a brief time, a leased FACCo bus was used instead of the rail car.

Would this have been a single-deck DE DION or a double-decker?

(I'm leaning towards the former on this one)

Whichever, this would have been the first FACCo bus to operate in "da Bronx" prior to the operation of the short-lived Route #12 in the early 1920s.

2:

Did any SURFACE/"Oh-Ay"/"stoa"" routes begin their routes at the Bronx Zoo, or where they "run-through" routes?

Just curious...........

"NYO"

["GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY"]

Whatever "Ess-Tee"/"Oh-Ay" routes traveled at the Bronx Zoo, were apparently run-throughs. Only one bus that I know of actually terminates around there, and that's the "Tee-Yay's" Q44. In my next-to-last year in high school, on a weekend I actually travelled from Jamaica to "da Bronx" on the Q44, transferring to whatever Bx route went to upper Manhattan en route back home.

As to the leased bus, I'm bettin' De Dion too. (Before that borough produced another Dion - of the "doo-wop" variety.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Thanks for the info.

Back in the early/mid-60s, Mom and I (sometimes Dad as well) would take the #5 NHBL from our corner to the "Port-of-Authority", where we would walk through the long passageway (no need to fear back then!) and then ride the "Eye-Are-Tee" up to the Zoo (I recall both Lo-V's and SMEEs)

Always saw a lot of chartered buses up there; man, what museum collection these buses would have made today! Very Happy

Mom's favorites were the elephants; mine were the lions and the seals.

We would NEVER venture into the Reptile House (as INDiana Jones would exclaim: "I HATE SNAKES!") Shocked

Coming home the same we we arrived, late in the day (rush hour) we'd have a light supper at one of the luncheonettes at the PABT, before boarding a #5 "Sherman", "Patton", or WHITE for home (about a 15 minute ride back to Union City)

As a girl (1920s/early 1930s), Mom remembered the El spur that went into Bronx Park.

In grade school, we had several class trips up to the Zoo; I recall the buses either being RED & TAN or DE CAMP (usually "Shermans")

As red was always my favorite color, I always hoped that we'd ride a red-painted "SMEE" either up to the Zoo, or back........man, it's all so long ago, now...............

"NYO"

["IRT LINES"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In grade school, we had several class trips up to the Zoo; I recall the buses either being RED & TAN or DE CAMP (usually "Shermans")

As red was always my favorite color, I always hoped that we'd ride a red-painted "SMEE" either up to the Zoo, or back........man, it's all so long ago, now...............

I was only to the Bronx Zoo once . . . it was a class trip while in the equivalent of grade school. I seem to remember we went to and from by school bus. This was in a time when the last of the "Dangerfields" ever ordered for both "Tee-Yay" (9000-9159) and " 'stoa" (9160-9319) were on the roads, so you can guess when that was . . . Wink

No, the school where I went to as part of class trips, in terms of zoos, it was usually either the Central Park Zoo or Children's Zoo.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

The late Arnold Stang (always a great favorite of mine....recall the streetwise "T.C.", Top Cat, "Herman the Mouse", and other characters?) did a series of funny little stories on record, many eons ago.

I still have my early 1960s album "ARNOLD STANG'S FAVORITE FUNNY STORIES", heaven knows where!), and one of the stories, "Percy The Polite Seal") was about a seal at the Central Park Zoo, who wished to be "well mannered".

"Harry the Horse" (no, not a local "wiseguy"!) had a carousel horse (again, from Central Park) that was tired of going "round and round".

So, he got a job as a Central Park hansome cab horse (AGAIN, he discovered, he was going "round and round".

Then, he saw a newspaper ad: "WANTED: A RACE HORSE".

This venue fizzled out too (I'm guessing he ran at "The Big 'A' ", or, maybe Belmont! Wink

FAVE story, of course, was "Schloimy the Subway Train (he boasted he was the Bronx Express!") who "was very happy riding back and forth in the Bronx", until his conductor announced they were now going to BROOKLYN(!!) Shocked

"Schloimy" did NOT want to go to Brooklyn, but his conductor assured him he'd love it. First stop, Coney Island (the famed Parachute Jump is mentioned!)

Then, on to "someplace beautiful" (Prospect Park)!

Finally, last stop is the hallowed Ebetts Field: "There go the Brooklyn Dodgers, to score another run!" Very Happy

Take notice, all destinations were "Bee-Em-Tee" stops; I always thought of "Schloimy" as an "Eye-Are-Tee" train, but, going out to Coney Island, recall in 1954, the "D" being extended out to Stillwell Avenue, traveling from the Bronx out to the seaside, via the old "Bee-Em-Tee" Culver line.

Recall, also, back in Arnold Stang's era, and, indeed, into the very early 80s, the "Big A" specials, which used the now-gone lower level platform at 42nd Street.........

"NYO"

[CULVER L'Cl"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THOROUGHBREDS OF STEEL"

Was, perhaps, "Harry The Horse" an entry at The Big "A" when these long-ago photos were taken? Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154673

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155644

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155632

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["6 TO 59 ST"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THOROUGHBREDS OF STEEL" (II)

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153026

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153031

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153679

["YONKERS RACEWAY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THOROUGHBREDS OF STEEL"

Was, perhaps, "Harry The Horse" an entry at The Big "A" when these long-ago photos were taken? Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154673

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155644

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155632

["6 TO 59 ST"]

Maybe near the tail end of that era . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Indeed, the "TAIL" end! Wink

Recall, also, the "OTB" ads that were carried on many buses, back in the day (I well recall, when Your's Truly was still working downtown, there seemed to be an "OTB" parlor on virtually every block!)

"OTB" was yet another "Noo Yawk" institution that we thought would always be a part of the city's diverse landscape............

"NYO"

["OTB"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, "Pee-Es-En-Jay"/"Tee-En-Jay" did a brisk business during the racing season with frequent runs to the now-defunct Freehold Raceway.

This "bullet" Fishbowl was being used in school service when this 1976 photo was snapped (note the huge flashers)

This was a sight I recall well, being from "Joisey"!

Also, note the white-on-red "EXPRESS" sign...................

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155353

["TNJ"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pee-Es-En-Jay"/"Tee-En-Jay" Oradell yard, 1976.

In the foreground, a classic "Jetson" suburban poses for the camera; note the ad card for Freehold Raceway carried by the bus in the background........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155338

["GARAGE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting picture from 1976 (taken at Hempstead) I just came across......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156537

Note that two "MTA" decals (one for the Bicentennial) have been affixed to (of all places) the ad card on the dash of this MSBA Fishbowl.

Also, note the cardboard "SUBWAY" sign displayed in the windshield.

Obviously, this company had been taken over by the "Em-Tee-Yay".........

"NYO"

["SUBWAY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting picture from 1976 (taken at Hempstead) I just came across......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156537

Note that two "MTA" decals (one for the Bicentennial) have been affixed to (of all places) the ad card on the dash of this MSBA Fishbowl.

Also, note the cardboard "SUBWAY" sign displayed in the windshield.

Obviously, this company had been taken over by the "Em-Tee-Yay".........

"NYO"

["SUBWAY"]

"Em-Ess-Bee-Yay," if you noticed, used the same serif numerals for their bus numbers as the "Tee-Yay" (dating way back to B&QT days with the "Peter Witts" and PCC's) and " 'stoa" (since 1963). They were, at that point, for years owned by the "Em-Tee-Yay"; they got some of the custom T6H-5309A and 5310A lot that had also been ordered in 1972-73 for the "Tee-Yay" and " 'stoa" and, in any case, was the last time the "Em-Tee-Yay" ever purchased a "Fishbowl"; from then untill 1977 it would be all "Dangerfields" for them. A road that would later lead to a fleet (and mess) of "Bombers."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate, as always, your detailed feedback.

What really caught my eye in that photo was that the two "Em-Tee-Yay" decals were affixed to the dash ad poster, instead of the dash itself (bet the advertiser would have LOVED to have seen this!) Shocked

Curious as to the cardboard "SUBWAY" sign displayed; would I be correct in assuming that the subway station in question was "Eye-En-Dee"?

"NYO"

["MSBA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

This is my all-time fave "Em-Es-Bee-Yay" photo, featuring an all-"Dangerfield" cast, back in 1978! Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156573

I did a double-take when I first came across this photo, quite awhile back; this view looks UNCANNILY like my "main drag" here in town; the line of shops and the large apartment building are literally clones of the business block just up the street from Your's Truly! Shocked

SWORE to God I was looking at Anderson Avenue (looking northwest), instead of Queens, several blocks from my humble abode! Very Happy

How well I recall NJDOT "Dangerfields", here in town, now so long ago!

"NYO"

["FLXIBLE"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 22 of 40

Jump to: