BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20 Reply with quote

Often on a Saturday, I will see the 9 a.m. departure of eastbound S20 from Kohl's (Massapequa Park) to Babylon RR. Almost always bus 5059 is in service! Years ago, I recall a discussion about which streetcar companies in the Northeast allowed the motormen to "own" their own cars, opposed to other companies which required the motorman to take the car at the head of the line at the carbarn that day. Of course, the advantage of seniority and car reservation was that the motorman got to know the quirks of that equipment, and he tended to keep it in better shape. E.B.T. of Copiague runs S20 and several other Suffolk Transit routes, so there is a supply of about nine relatively new buses and maybe a dozen older ones. I wonder whether anybody on this message board can address the topic.
------
By the way, S20 is an interesting one-bus route, six days a week, hourly service, except for lunch break. Eastbound it goes directly from Kohl's (Unqua Rd and Sunrise Hwy) to Babylon. Westbound, it visits two malls: South Bay and Sunrise Mall.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add is that I saw "old" bus # 9615 operating on the S-1 yesterday headed to and from Halesite at about 6:00 PM
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this one guy always has 5077 on the S58, always assigned to the same run. Suffolk likes to do that alot, but lately I have been seeing it with LIB, #299 is always on the weekday N27 that departs Roosevelt Field at 3:24pm.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suffolk transit pretty much always does that....... as for long Island Bus,
whatever they can get out of the yard is what they give out
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on how the buses are staged. It's not uncommon for systems to allow senior drivers to take our their favorite bus, but that only works if the depot or yard is set up so that any bus can be accessed at any time. Depots or garages that are set up with rows of buses stored indoors would make this process more difficult.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.B.T. of Copiague has their transit buses lined up, with rear to the fence and the sidewalk of Sunrise Highway, so each is available for pull-out without moving another one.
caine824

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: EBT Suffolk Garage Reply with quote

I used to live in Farmingdale and rode the S1 a lot. primarily, they currently have the following Gilligs(if i am wrong someone will correct me)

9610-9617
5050-5060

It's basically the same bus on the same route daily. For example, if you see Gillig #5059 on the S1 on Monday it will still be on the line the whole week. Same driver runs the bus.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.B.T Has 9610 - 9619 and 5051- 5060
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also Suffolk Bus Corp Keeps Putting 5015 and 5013 on the S-66 And 9655 and 9650 on the 7D & 7E
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
caine824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Suffolk Bus Assignments Reply with quote

When i used to ride the S23 to work, they always assigned Gillig #5033 and #5034. I know Inter-County Coach operates the route. Nice garage if you ever can get there in Babylon.
LIBuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20 Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Often on a Saturday, I will see the 9 a.m. departure of eastbound S20 from Kohl's (Massapequa Park) to Babylon RR. Almost always bus 5059 is in service! Years ago, I recall a discussion about which streetcar companies in the Northeast allowed the motormen to "own" their own cars, opposed to other companies which required the motorman to take the car at the head of the line at the carbarn that day. Of course, the advantage of seniority and car reservation was that the motorman got to know the quirks of that equipment, and he tended to keep it in better shape. E.B.T. of Copiague runs S20 and several other Suffolk Transit routes, so there is a supply of about nine relatively new buses and maybe a dozen older ones. I wonder whether anybody on this message board can address the topic.
------
By the way, S20 is an interesting one-bus route, six days a week, hourly service, except for lunch break. Eastbound it goes directly from Kohl's (Unqua Rd and Sunrise Hwy) to Babylon. Westbound, it visits two malls: South Bay and Sunrise Mall.

EBT assigns it's buses by seniority, rather than the route - so generally speaking, the same drivers will be driving the same bus on their route, unless it is out of service, or the driver is subbing on another line for the day.

The only buses which you'll always see on the S1 are the Hybrids, 8001-8004 - although many senior drivers got the new 40ft coaches and decided to switch back to their old 5000 series buses - they couldn't get accustomed to the added length, and the different feel to the new buses.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20 Reply with quote

LIBuser wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
------

EBT assigns it's buses by seniority, rather than the route - so generally speaking, the same drivers will be driving the same bus on their route, unless it is out of service, or the driver is subbing on another line for the day.

The only buses which you'll always see on the S1 are the Hybrids, 8001-8004 - although many senior drivers got the new 40ft coaches and decided to switch back to their old 5000 series buses - they couldn't get accustomed to the added length, and the different feel to the new buses.

Most Companies allow the drivers with seniority to pick the bus they want. the old Coarm Bus Service use to do that before they folded and became CBS Lines, i don't know if CBS continues the practice. I believe Suffolk Bus Corp does it as well.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20 Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
LIBuser wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
------

Most Companies allow the drivers with seniority to pick the bus they want. the old Coarm Bus Service use to do that before they folded and became CBS Lines, i don't know if CBS continues the practice. I believe Suffolk Bus Corp does it as well.

Well I think CBS usually assigns the same bus and run to a driver if they want it, Rae always has 5078 and was NOT happy when it was out for a month for engine work. Laughing
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Transit 5059 on S20 Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
LIBuser wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
------

Well I think CBS usually assigns the same bus and run to a driver if they want it, Rae always has 5078 and was NOT happy when it was out for a month for engine work. Laughing

CBS's predecessor allowed the drivers with Seniority to pick the bus they wanted, i believe both for their line runs and school buses. idk though if the practice followed over, but from the sound of it i would believe that it had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: