BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: 'THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3' Reply with quote

Just saw (probably for the fifth time) the original 1974 version of 'The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3'.

This is a real classic, and from what I understand, far better than the remake that's about to hit theaters.

I'm not going to bore you with the details except to say that it's about the hijacking of a Pelham bound New York City Transit Authority subway train.

I won't say that the exterior scenes, which took place while the police were chasing the train from above ground, had plenty of buses but the few that were seen looked like the original 5301's still in the first generation two tone dark green livery.

The only thing that was added was that strange oblong enclosure over the front end of the roof that I could never figure out the reason for.

The buses were legitimate in that they had no part in the movie.

This is a must see film (if you haven't) and done very technically correctly with many scenes shot on Transit Authority property.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,

You mentioned that oblong enclosure over the front end of the roof. If it's what I'm thinking of, I think it had to do with the radio.

Roy
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,

I think you're correct because eventually those covers were replaced by small gray oblong devices that I know were the next generation of radio antenna as can be seen below on # 4451.

Photo credit; BusTalk Gallery.

Mr. 'L'

B53RICH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L.,
Those boxes were covers for loop type radio antennas. Some depots used these type of radio antennas while others used the "fin" type as 4451 depicts.
I haven't seen the remake of Pelham yet but I always enjoy seeing the original with vintage NYC bus scenes.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53,

Thanks for the info.

It would probably mean that certain geographical areas of the city found the need for a different antenna configuration because of poor reception due to unusual topographical features.

Would be akin to the troubles some people are now having in receiving the new digital TV signals through converter boxes.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 'THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I'm not going to bore you with the details except to say that it's about the hijacking of a Pelham bound New York City Transit Authority subway train.

Just a nitpick - the hijacked train originated at Pelham Bay and was Brooklyn Bridge-bound.

Don't forget one of the great one-liners from that film, when trainmaster Frank Correll, trying to move passengers along the Lex by bustitution, says over the phone "What you mean you doin't have any buses? Why don't you go out and hijack some!"

As far as this year's remake, a handful of RTSes and New Flyer D60HFs appear in the background.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: