BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NJ] NABI Contract for New Jersey?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: [NJ] NABI Contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Saw this on the North American Bus Industries website - did NABI win a contract for New Jersey?

Notice to Potential Suppliers

NABI
is actively seeking qualified New Jersey based Small Business Enterprises (SBE) to supply components used in the production of our buses for an upcoming contract. Prospective suppliers will be evaluated based on quality standards, overall competitiveness and their ability to deliver on time. For more information please call 256-241-6557 M-F 8:00 - 4:30 p.m. CST.
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Sounds like NABI got the Flx Metro-D replacement order - that RFP was due back in November. There will be one more order likely following, for the first Nova RTSes (these were built in 1995-96). NJT stated in their meeting at the start of the fiscal year (July 1), that they intended to replace the remaining transit and suburban buses besides the 1999-2000 Nova RTSes. The next NJT board meeting is January 23, so there could be the formal announcement then.

There are 318 Metro Ds, 226 transits and 92 suburbans, plus 175 Nova RTSes (all transit) to be replaced (less those that may have been lost to accident). I would imagine MTS and NABI will fight hard for that RTS replacement... the winner would have the inside track to replace that large batch of 650 RTSes, probably somewhere around 2012.

Surprised that MTS didn't make a proposal successful enough, considering they already have NJT's current specs for both transits and suburbans ready to go... it could have easily been an extension of the current contract. Expect NABI 416 demos headed here to the Garden State later this year!
_Buzz2kb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

So if this order is materialised, will this the first new NABI 416 (aka 40-SFW) order since the 2004 one for DART in Dallas,TX?
Also, I just wonder why NJ Transit dislikes low floor buses so immensely. (Otherwise, they'll receive NABI 40-LFW's). Thanks
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Quote:
So if this order is materialised, will this the first new NABI 416 (aka 40-SFW) order since the 2004 one for DART in Dallas,TX?
Also, I just wonder why NJ Transit dislikes low floor buses so immensely. (Otherwise, they'll receive NABI 40-LFW's). Thanks

NJT has to order buses that essentially can be used anywhere in the system. Unlike a typical TA, NJT actually has routes that would be considered rural, with no sidewalks or curbs to speak of... they can't risk a low-floor bus being caught in a situation where it might not be able to serve the route. Even the artics are spec'd in such a way that, if needed, they could be used on routes other than their normal assignments. NJT also is not keen on the loss of seats... in order to match the productivity of a high floor bus, they would need more low floors than a 1:1 replacement, which they feel is a waste of money.

(By the way, NABI has never identified their standard bus as "SFW" - it has always been the Model 416, even when the company was American Ikarus.)
Mr. Harlem Line

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Wow. So when will the Metro Ds be replaced?
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Assuming the contract is announced by NJT this month, I'd expect demos by summer, and delivery completed by early 08.
TMC RTS 06

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:
Surprised that MTS didn't make a proposal successful enough, considering they already have NJT's current specs for both transits and suburbans ready to go... it could have easily been an extension of the current contract. Expect NABI 416 demos headed here to the Garden State later this year!

Yeah, that is surprising, but nice to see that NABI will be able to put out new 416s for the first time in a while. I'm actually conflicted...I want MTS to succeed, but NABI 416s in NJT colors will be awesome.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:

Assuming the contract is announced by NJT this month, I'd expect demos by summer, and delivery completed by early 08.

Is it possible for NJT to lease a bus from SEPTA to train their drivers on (and their contractors) in the meantime? (I doubt that the loss of one would cause SEPTA to not make score.)
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

AMoreira81 wrote:
Is it possible for NJT to lease a bus from SEPTA to train their drivers on (and their contractors) in the meantime? (I doubt that the loss of one would cause SEPTA to not make score.)

They could, but that's rare for NJT. They are so into customizing the dash, controls, and components, that anyone else's NABI would likely not work. It's also preferable to get the powertrain you are going to use (so drivers can see how the bus will perform on a daily basis when they get their order), and NJT will likely stay with the Cat C9 and ZF automatic - doubtful any NABI 416s on the road have that combo.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Could Orion eventually make a competing offer for NJT? The Orion V is still in production. Sorry, I don't see NJT buying Gillig Phantoms, as Gillig generally doesn't sell to major TAs.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

There is probably still bad blood between Orion and New Jersey Transit, stemming from the order that NJT refused to award it (despite it being the low bidder, and federal funds being used to buy the buses) which eventually culminated in a prison sentence for the president of NJ Transit Bus Operations at the time, Maureen Milan (she served 3 years in jail), for accepting bribes from Nova Bus (think: tickets to Broadway shows bought by Nova Bus), which led to Orion not being awarded the order, and thus reporting Milan's actions to the federal prosecutor.
_Flatbush41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Orion winning any contract for NJT is a long shot in the near future. They seem dead set on wanting the Millennium RTS as the replacement for the Metro B's however if they don't win the company will be in big trouble. I can see NABI's running through the Jersey streets should they win a contract.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

However, indications are that NABI won the Metro-D replacement contract already.
_SEPTA8119

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

AMoreira81 wrote:
However, indications are that NABI won the Metro-D replacement contract already.

That would seem to be the case. The first item on the agenda for next week's NJT Board Meeting reads as follows:

Authorization to contract (No. 06-085) with North American Bus Industries Inc. to purchase 1145 transit and suburban buses at a cost not to exceed $409,871,962 plus five percent for contingencies. Delivery will be 200 buses per year over a six year period replacing buses that have exceeded their 12 year useful life. All buses have wheelchair lifts and kneeling feature.

I figured they would at least replace the Flxibles with this order, but it looks like they're going to end up replacing the Nova A's (2600 series) and Nova B's (1000-series) as well. Weird, but I can't believe that the Novas have been in service as long as they have; I can remember the first time I took a Nova on the 87 bus between Journal Square and Hoboken - I never knew that NJT had Novas, as I was so used to seeing Flxibles down in South Jersey.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

Wow - winning that order is certainly a feather in NABI's cap.

Has the Millennium contract officially been cancelled by NJT?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: