BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GREYHOUND GOES PREVOST'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: 'GREYHOUND GOES PREVOST' Reply with quote

First it was Yellow, then GM, then MCI and now Greyhound turns to Prevost with a huge order of new buses which will eventually replace their present MC 12's as the backbone of their fleet.

Pictured below (top) and showing off a completely new livery in what may be a factory pose is fleet number 8873 - a 2009 Prevost Model X3-45 and one of 140 to be delivered to the Greyhound Corporation between February and July of this year.

Also pictured below is another model touring the west side of Manhattan.

Thus far, bus fan pundits have gone 'thumbs down' on the hound's new clothes but we live in changing times and I suppose we'll get used to it!

About Prevost

Prevost is a leading manufacturer of premium intercity touring coaches and the world leader in the production of bus shells for high-end motorhome and specialty conversion. Owned by Volvo Bus Corporation, it has access to the financial strength, research capability, and manufacturing expertise of the group.

Volvo Bus Corporation is part of the Volvo Group, the world’s largest manufacturer of heavy-duty diesel engines. Prevost has its main manufacturing facilities in Sainte-Claire, Quebec, Canada and has six Parts and Service Centers located in Canada and the United States.

Upper photo courtesy of Richard Silagi.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

KCRam3500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8873 was from the original order that included the BoltBus units, and that's Greyhound's current livery which has been around for a few years now.

This picture of 8877 (also from the first order) shows the potential new livery... a throwback to the 1940s-50s. The new coaches will start at 8900

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which one I like the least!

I'd rather 'Go Greyhound' the old fashioned way!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen! Mr. Green
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Linsky -

I take it P310 is one more accomplishment of the very capable shop at Williams, CA?

It did an outstanding job with a prewar 743, and its site had extensive photos and comment...

In the wishful thinking department, they may also happen to have the bones of a 1930 era Wills, recovered from a long period of parking
out on the desert. Who knows what it would take to restore it?...

I still await a positive report that good things are happening with the 1934 Kenworth KHO sitting at Pasco, WA. (It was a Scenicruiser
before Scenicruisers were cool!)...

Hmmm... Noting the thread Subject Line, guess I should set the signs here to: OT EXPRESS <G>

.................Vern............
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

I don't exactly know what you mean when you refer to Williams, California.

To my knowledge all Greyhound 'Silversides' or 'Wash Boards' were originally built at Yellow Coach in Pontiac, Michigan.

However, P310 is a restoration that I believe was once owned by a local collector here in Los Angeles and is either a PD 3751 or 4151 that could well have been reworked by the Williams company that you mention.

Can you elaborate?

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

These people: http://coachmaintenance.com/

Coach Maintenance Company, at Williams. See, especially, its Photo Gallery, for some trips down Memory Lane...

I doubt if it is cheap, when they present the bill. Looks like the shop is capable of near anything...

...................Vern...........
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

Great site - thanks for sharing.

I'm sure the boys up at Northern California Bus Fans know of this outfit - most of them have restorations.

Mr. 'L'
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Greyhound Bus 8877 Reply with quote

I like the scheme on bus No.8877 a lot better than that barf bucket scheme on the other two Prevosts. That barf bucket livery is an insult to a fine bus. Those Prevosts deserve better. 8877 looks to me the way a Greyhound bus should look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another view of the latest Greyhound courtesy of NorCal Bus Fans.

Very sleek looking!, and in good taste.

This isn't your gransfather's Greyhound!

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" - All -

GREYHOUND must have put a great deal of thought in this, and its resulting impact of rather visceral recollection of the line from a long time ago.
Simply Brilliant!

I've reconciled myself that it isn't the same "paint chip" as used on the long ago 743 types. The old blue, "...with a tiny touch of green...", and the
dramatic swoops in white adjacent the tires!

And, oh, heavens! Will they let us download the lettering font! <G> Cajole them into another appearance, in new release of, It Happened One Night!

...............Vern...............
timecruncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of 'em was sitting in the lot behind Greyhound's big body shop here in Louisville the other day (surrounded by wrecks).

Since they now have a "no photo" policy, even though I was in a TARC supervisor vehicle, I decided not to try and take a photo. No need to cause friction between them and the local transit authority...

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: