BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D. C. Transit Old-Look Air-Conditioned Buses, Part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Gray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: D. C. Transit Old-Look Air-Conditioned Buses, Part 2 Reply with quote

Fellow Members,

On August 12 I had posted a question about the old-look buses of D. C. Transit that were air-conditioned. Thank you for all your help, especially Mr. Linsky the Green Bus Lines historian (I grew up in South Jamaica and frequently rode the Q6, Q7, and the Q40 routes during the 60's and 70's). One question that I forgot to ask, sorry - Were any of those buses preserved for any kind of museum? Since they were the first fleet of a/c buses built by GM, it would be a shame if none of them were saved or preserved. Please reply someone!!!!

GOD bless,
Henry Gray
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if any DC Transit buses were preserved. I do know that the MTA has preserved an air conditioned Old Look. Here are two photos of that bus.

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

Thanks for the compliment, and it was my pleasure to try to help you!

According to Ohio Museum of Transportation, none of the DC Transit Air Conditioned jobs were preserved.

Fifth Avenue's (NY) # 3100 pictured above may possibly be the only 'GM' Old Look (transit) with air conditioning that is preserved, and it was orignally an experiment and not a production job.

The other experiment (#3200) which saw demonstration service with FACCO eventually went to New Orleans Public Service with no indication of preservation.

BTW; if you rode the Q7 during the summers of 1960 or 1961, you might have had me for a relief driver! (but I don't remember anyone by the name of Henry - only kidding).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Waynejay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although none of the D.C. Transit old looks were saved, WMATA does have one '57 TDH-5105 (no A/C). It was originally purchased by Baltimore's transit system and later donated to WMATA. WMATA's Bladensburg shops restored the bus. Here's some pics of it at WMATA's roadeo a few years ago.

...and some more of WMATA's historical fleet

My understanding is that WMATA also has saved one of their Flxible Metro-Bs to be added to the historical fleet. As you see the RTS and TDH-5304 are not quite restored to their original appearance.

The RTS was modified by WMATA (Rear door removed and new seating added) before it was retired. The fishbowl was rebuilt by Blitz and again not restored to it's original appearance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: